Rumors thread

witesoxfan

Armed with a "very substantial offer," letters from some of Houston's top civic leaders, a video presentation and a book outlining the virtues of Houston living, Astros owner Drayton McLane gave his recruiting speech to All-Star center fielder Carlos Beltran for two hours Wednesday. Although the Astros declined to divulge the offer, industry sources say Beltran's price topped $16 million per year based on the offers he has received and the current market. It is clear the Astros offered at least a six-year, $96 million deal.

-- Houston Chronicle

From Si.com

interesting... first time I've heard actual numbers attached to him other than Boras. I think NY will offer 17-18 and a 7th year to try and top that... it will come down to where he wants to play... He already said he really like playing in Houston. It will be interesting to see how involved the Cubs get, because they'll have to at least out bid the Astros to even have a shot :fthecubs

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must not know many 40 yr olds  :lol:

It is beyond laughable if you believe that Bonds unknowingly used steroids. My Dad is 50 years of age, I have numerous Uncles are roughly that same age and their heads don't look like a deformed watermelon. If you honestly believe that human being's heads (circum) grow 2 full inches in the span of one to three years, you honestly need to take a course on anthropology.

But I'm sure that those maple bats and the fact that Barry is black makes him jump over 30 home runs in one season. But yet again, this is probably just someone who fails to look at an obvious situation objectively to reinforce an ignorant schema. I'm sure the thousands of doctors who would say beyond a shadow of a doubt are wrong that Bonds unknwoingly used steroids. You make out Bonds to be less intelligent than a retarded man.

Merry Christmas Sox fans:

WEEI in Boston has confirmed Jason varitek has accepted a 4 year 40 mil contract with Boston.

So The Sox get Miller, Clement & Varitek while NY has the RJ deal fall through and Houston offer Beltran a 6 year 96 mil contract.

Wow, Boras is so damn good at his job... I don't think they even had another team sniffing at him, and he got what he wanted... (except I heard he didn't get the "no-trade" clause he wanted... but in the 3rd and 4th years I think he'll be 36 and 37, which should be as effective as a no-trade clause)

The Cardinals have some interest in signing Alex Cora to play second base.

Three years, $10.25 million? We doubt it, even if Cora would be a better shortstop and is a year younger than David Eckstein. He was also the better hitter of the two last year, though that might have been a fluke. Dec. 24 - 3:52 am et

The 3 way CWS deal with NY & ARZ could be back on.

Apparently NY & ARZ did approve a trade between them. The only sticking point was ARZ demanded 19.5 to cover Vazquez' salary. When the LAD appeared the NY were able to get out of that demand.

So the trade is likely to resume between NY & ARZ & a 3rd team that wants Vazquez but is willing to reduce the 19.5M. Rogers believes the SOX would ask for 15M, but there are a few other teams interested as well.

As for Bonds, if it makes you feel better to fantasize that you have any clue as to what you are talking about then pat yourself on the back. Any one who knows me on this boards knows that I'm a stat & data person. You're small sample of a Dad & uncles is ridiculous to even consider. Based on real data in America of weight gain alone as people approach 40, more 40 yr olders gain more girth in the face than they had at 20.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3918

Look at that damn picture or for that matter any others & realize how stupid your bias is. Likewise look at his numbers & compare them to Sosa if need be. That's not evidence of steroids. Pay close attention to his 2B's.

I'll make it simple for you:

1990: 32DB, 33HR, 301A, 406O, 565S

2004: 27DB, 45HR, 362A, 609O, 812S

20% gain in BA, 50% gain in OBP, 44% gain in SLG.

I don't know why it pains you to accept it but Barry is just that good!

The other think you can't seem to fathom is that Barry's HR totals took a big rise

when SFG got the new park. If you haven't bothered to look it up take a look

at his HR's per stadium. Over 1/2 his HR's come from SBC Park. The Park is tailor made for Barry Bonds to hit HRs. Put another way, if Barry wasn't a member of the SFG he would never have hit over 50HR.

That's why Aaron's & Babe's HR totals will probably overshadow Barry's.

Those two players didn't play in a home that seemed to be diesigned specifically to their strengths. Barry does.

The only factual evidence that exists today that Barry may have used steroids

is the fact that he used a cream during one stint of the season 1 yr when he was coming off injury & in dire need of pain relief. There is no physical evidence that the cream was a roid. There is only circumstantial evidence taken by other players that used similar creams from the same source.

You must be a member of the Sosa fan club to even mention Barry in the same sentence with that loser.

The 3 way CWS deal with NY & ARZ could be back on.

Apparently NY & ARZ did approve a trade between them.  The only sticking point was ARZ demanded 19.5 to cover Vazquez' salary.  When the LAD appeared the NY were able to get out of that demand.

So the trade is likely to resume between NY & ARZ & a 3rd team that wants Vazquez but is willing to reduce the 19.5M. Rogers believes the SOX would ask for 15M, but there are a few other teams interested as well.

As for Bonds, if it makes you feel better to fantasize that you have any clue as to what you are talking about then pat yourself on the back.  Any one who knows me on this boards knows that I'm a stat & data person.  You're small sample of a Dad & uncles is ridiculous to even consider.  Based on real data in America of weight gain alone as people approach 40,  more 40 yr olders gain more girth in the face than they had at 20.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=3918

Look at that damn picture or for that matter any others & realize how stupid your bias is.  Likewise look at his numbers & compare them to Sosa if need be.  That's not evidence of steroids.  Pay close attention to his 2B's.

I'll make it simple for you:

1990: 32DB, 33HR, 301A, 406O, 565S

2004: 27DB, 45HR, 362A, 609O, 812S 

20% gain in BA, 50% gain in OBP, 44% gain in SLG. 

I don't know why it pains you to accept it but Barry is just that good!

The other think you can't seem to fathom is that Barry's HR totals took a big rise

when SFG got the new park.  If you haven't bothered to look it up take a look

at his HR's per stadium.  Over 1/2 his HR's come from SBC Park.  The Park is tailor made for Barry Bonds to hit HRs.  Put another way, if Barry wasn't a member of the SFG he would never have hit over 50HR.

That's why Aaron's & Babe's HR totals will probably overshadow Barry's. 

Those two players didn't play in a home that seemed to be diesigned specifically to their strengths.  Barry does.

The only factual evidence that exists today that Barry may have used steroids

is the fact that he used a cream during one stint of the season 1 yr when he was coming off injury & in dire need of pain relief.  There is no physical evidence that the cream was a roid.  There is only circumstantial evidence taken by other players that used similar creams from the same source.

You must be a member of the Sosa fan club to even mention Barry in the same sentence with that loser.

I don't even want Vazquez, I think we are pretty set... :ph34r:

That kind of statement makes me want to  :bang  your head!

He did not F'G gain 30 pounds for using an ointment in a flaxseed oil tube a FEW F'G times a year when he was in pain.

As someone said, Barry's muscle gain was slow & steady over his career.

He did not bulk up over a year's time like Sosa & Giambi did.

Not true, just look at the pics. He became much larger after Sosa and McGwire broke Maris' record.

1998: http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=10

1999:

http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=11

2000: :o

http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=12

Per RotoWorld

Kevin Millwood is expected to soon sign a one-year deal with the Indians.

Millwood, who reportedly is traveling to Cleveland for a physical, is likely to get a contract worth about $7 million. Dec. 26 - 10:33 am et

i would take El Duque at 4 million any day of the week and twice on sunday over millwood at 7 million.

Not true, just look at the pics. He became much larger after Sosa and McGwire broke Maris' record.

1998: http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=10

1999:

http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=11

2000:  :o

http://msn.foxsports.com/pgStory?contentId...4&pageNumber=12

I gotta admit, he bulked up a lot from 99 to 2000 but you have to understand, I was over a span of 7 years. 1998-2005 is a loooong time. I won't beleive it until (if, in fact, it is) proven that he used steroids under his own knowledge to bulk up. Period.

I gotta admit, he bulked up a lot from 99 to 2000 but you have to understand, I was over a span of 7 years. 1998-2005 is a loooong time. I won't beleive it until (if, in fact, it is) proven that he used steroids under his own knowledge to bulk up. Period.

What about 1998-2000? That's only 2 years. Hell it's even less if Barry decided to roid up AFTER the 1998 when McGwire and Sosa shattered Maris' record. You think that's natural weight gain for a guy in his mid 30's over a span of 18 months? :huh: That's a hell of a lot less than this "12 years" bulls*** I hear from Bonds supporters.

1998-2000 is 3 years. Let me break it down:

1) 1998

2) 1999

3) 2000

I clearly wrote AFTER the 1998 season.

1. October 1998

2. November 1998

3. December 1998

4. January 1999

5. Feburary 1999

6. March 1999

7. April 1999

8. May 1999

9. June 1999

10. July 1999

11. August 1999

12. September 1999

13. October 1999

14. November 1999

15. December 1999

16. January 2000

17. Feburary 2000

18. March 2000

Clear? :huh:

From CBS sportline:

Arizona Diamondbacks Updated:12/21/2004

Their blockbuster deal with the Dodgers and Yankees fell through, but the Diamondbacks are talking to the Mets about outfielder Cliff Floyd, says the New York Post. New York is looking for infielder Shea Hillenbrand in return.

----------------------------------------------------------

If AZ would be interested in the oft-injured and expensive Floyd, wouldn't Carl Everett be a decent guy to p/u? Maybe it's the Mets who are interested. But IMO I'd rather have Everett than Floyd.

From CBS sportline:

Arizona Diamondbacks Updated:12/21/2004

Their blockbuster deal with the Dodgers and Yankees fell through, but the Diamondbacks are talking to the Mets about outfielder Cliff Floyd, says the New York Post. New York is looking for infielder Shea Hillenbrand in return. 

----------------------------------------------------------

If AZ would be interested in the oft-injured and expensive Floyd, wouldn't Carl Everett be a decent guy to p/u? Maybe it's the Mets who are interested. But IMO I'd rather have Everett than Floyd.

Arizona were also rumored to be interested in Craig Wilson and Kip Wells from Pittsburgh. Could be a good time for Littlefield to trade those two, get some real good prospects, and start building the team for the next few seasons.

Arizona were also rumored to be interested in Craig Wilson and Kip Wells from Pittsburgh. Could be a good time for Littlefield to trade those two, get some real good prospects, and start building the team for the next few seasons.

Except AZ doesn't have a lot of good prospects in the minors for Pitt.