Shortstop Version 2.0

AddisonStSox

The starting shortstop for your Chicago White Sox will be...  

102 members have voted

1. 1. The starting shortstop for your Chicago White Sox will be...

• Orlando Cabrera
    • Nomar Garciaparra
    • Christian Guzman
    • Edgar Renteria
    • Juan Uribe
    • Wilson Valdez
    • Via Trade
    • Via Darkhorse Free Agent

I thought it might be time to bring this thread back... :D

Seeing as our shortstop questions have yet to be answered, and with this new Nomar talk buzzing around, is Garciaparra a viable option?

For you stat-hounds out there, what kind of contract is he looking for and would Kenny be willing to bite?

I'm pro-Nomar in 2005.

Seeing as our shortstop questions have yet to be answered, and with this new Nomar talk buzzing around, is Garciaparra a viable option?

For you stat-hounds out there, what kind of contract is he looking for and would Kenny be willing to bite?

I'm pro-Nomar in 2005.

He only wants a one year deal to raise his vaule to get a large contract next year. I really do not know how the contract is gonna be. Could either be with alot of incentives and only around 5 million guaranteed or it will be one year around 7-8 million or so. I am with you, i think he is a good player to be looking into.

I'm pro-Nomar in 2005.

As I said before, the Sox have one big advantage. Nomar's agent is also Frank's agent. Tellum and JR have a great relationship. To me it doesn't seem insane for JR to work out a one year deal as a favor to Tellum. It would work for both the Sox and Nomar.

The Sox could realistically pick up RJ, sign Nomar to a one year 7 mill deal and then sign a veteran reliever and call it an offseason. Nomar would slide into the 2 hole.

Uribe may be the super utility guy or he'd be the starting 2nd baseman. Plus he could spell Nomar. That would all keep the payroll roughly around 75 million.

The Sox could realistically pick up RJ, sign Nomar to a one year 7 mill deal and then sign a veteran reliever and call it an offseason.  Nomar would slide into the 2 hole. 

Uribe may be the super utility guy or he'd be the starting 2nd baseman.  Plus he could spell Nomar.  That would all keep the payroll roughly around 75 million.

Talk about creating some national buzz around your team if you sign Nomar and RJ.....

Wasn't Nomar pouting last offseason though when he was alomst traded to The Sox? I seem to remember reports talking about him not wanting to come here?

More like he didn't want to leave Boston is how I understood it. Things have changed now that the Red Sox have gotten rid of him, and did their usual hatchet job on him. I think him having played in Chicago for a couple of months to check out the city and its fans, also will be a nice selling point.

The best possible scenario for us, will be if the Cubs decline arbit, and no multiyear offers materialize.

The Sox could realistically pick up RJ, sign Nomar to a one year 7 mill deal and then sign a veteran reliever and call it an offseason.  Nomar would slide into the 2 hole. 

Uribe may be the super utility guy or he'd be the starting 2nd baseman.  Plus he could spell Nomar.  That would all keep the payroll roughly around 75 million.

As crazy as it may sound, that doesn't sound impossible. Nomar shouldn't get more than a 1 yr deal. But at $7 mill, he should be able to find a team closer to CA.

As crazy as it may sound, that doesn't sound impossible. Nomar shouldn't get more than a 1 yr deal. But at $7 mill, he should be able to find a team closer to CA.

There might be that big of a market for Nomar as he thinks. Los Angeles I don't think will go after him considering they already have Cora and Izturis and their infielders, and will more likely go after a first baseman like Delgado or Sexson and a catcher like Varitek with their free agent money. Nobody knows what Anaheim is going to do, they could sign Nomar, but are more likely to go after pitching and an outfielder like Beltran. I don't think there'd be much of a better situation for Nomar for a 1 year deal with incentives to play for the White Sox. It's a fantastic hitters park, and if Nomar can perform adequately, he'll get a nice contract come 2005, although it'd be interesting to see if he'd possibly resign with us and what pressure there would be from the fans unlike with Ordonez.

There might be that big of a market for Nomar as he thinks. Los Angeles I don't think will go after him considering they already have Cora and Izturis and their infielders, and will more likely go after a first baseman like Delgado or Sexson and a catcher like Varitek with their free agent money. Nobody knows what Anaheim is going to do, they could sign Nomar, but are more likely to go after pitching and an outfielder like Beltran. I don't think there'd be much of a better situation for Nomar for a 1 year deal with incentives to play for the White Sox. It's a fantastic hitters park, and if Nomar can perform adequately, he'll get a nice contract come 2005, although it'd be interesting to see if he'd possibly resign with us and what pressure there would be from the fans unlike with Ordonez.

As long as it were only a 1 yr deal for Nomar, that would be fine. I like Renteria more, but not at $9, 10 mill for 4 yrs.

Without RJ, the sox could still fill other holes, say at C with Kendall. With RJ the sox couldn't make other moves and would be too dependent on Nomar staying healthy.

As long as it were only a 1 yr deal for Nomar, that would be fine. I like Renteria more, but not at $9, 10 mill for 4 yrs.

Without RJ, the sox could still fill other holes, say at C with Kendall. With RJ the sox couldn't make other moves and would be too dependent on Nomar staying healthy.

All I can say is it has been awful quiet down at 35th and Shields.

If they're trying to fly under the radar they're doing a pretty good job.

I'd expect this week to be slow, with the holiday, but who knows? It'd make more sense for things to heat up after 12/7.

I think Nomar is going to look and if he signs a one year deal, Los Angeles may not be the place to be because it isn't a great hitters park, plus I dont' see them offering him a deal anyway with Itzuris at short.

I would be a big fan of picking up Nomar and once the Cubs decline to offer him arbitration I think you'll start to see Nomar talks go somewhere (with one team or another).