What kind of money does Renteria expect?

knightni

I'd rather have him leading off than Kendall. Plus we wouldn't have to give up anything but a draft pick to get him.

I think he would be worth $8-10 million a season.

Kendall would be slower eventually because of the injury he had years ago, his age, and the amount of time he's spent behind the plate.

Renteria is worth at least as much as the Sox would have to pay Kendall.

Then, they could use the players they would have traded Pittsburgh and trade them to Anaheim for Jose Guillen and Ramon Ortiz instead.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It'll be interesting to see what the Cardinals do next with their infield situation because it'll probably affect our next move. They could either resign Renteria or sign Polanco to replace him, or they could sign Polanco to play 2B, re-sign Renteria and let Tony Womack walk.

I'd rather have him leading off than Kendall. Plus we wouldn't have to give up anything but a draft pick to get him.

I think he would be worth $8-10 million a season.

Kendall would be slower eventually because of the injury he had years ago, his age, and the amount of time he's spent behind the plate.

Renteria is worth at least as much as the Sox would have to pay Kendall.

Then, they could use the players they would have traded Pittsburgh and trade them to Anaheim for Jose Guillen and Ramon Ortiz instead.

Ramon Ortiz is a FA.

I can't speak for what he'll actually command, but based on how the market has set itself....He's worth about $6.5M/year

3-year avg WARP =5.37*$1.21M/WARP =  $6.49

$6.5 million would be ideal but who knows.

Renteria is a GREAT SS and lead off guy in my opinion.

I can't speak for what he'll actually command, but based on how the market has set itself....He's worth about $6.5M/year

3-year avg WARP =5.37*$1.21M/WARP =  $6.49

I find it hard to believe that Renteria will only go for $6.5M when Guzman and Vizquel have gotten ~$4M/yr. I could see Renteria getting $9M-$10M, not that he's worth anywhere close to that, IMO.

$6.5 million would be ideal but who knows.

Renteria is a GREAT SS and lead off guy in my opinion.

That's what he's worth.... not what he's going to cost...

In essence, if four teams with equal footing bid for a player, the team that wins is the one that figured that player would make the greatest contribution – and so is the one most likely to have overestimated that player’s future value.

Or, to put this another way: say something goes up for auction. All four bid on it, and one wins. They immediately decide to try and sell it to the losing bidders, who dropped out at different prices, for the winning price. None will take it – they all think the item has a lower actual value than the winner paid.

His actual salary will be determined on the open market, where any number of teams could drive up his price.

That's what he's worth.... not what he's going to cost...
In essence, if four teams with equal footing bid for a player, the team that wins is the one that figured that player would make the greatest contribution – and so is the one most likely to have overestimated that player’s future value.

Or, to put this another way: say something goes up for auction. All four bid on it, and one wins. They immediately decide to try and sell it to the losing bidders, who dropped out at different prices, for the winning price. None will take it – they all think the item has a lower actual value than the winner paid.

His actual salary will be determined on the open market, where any number of teams could drive up his price.

Basically all that's saying is that if only 1 team wanted him, he'd get around $6.5 mill...but because multiple teams do, his value will go up, and because he's better then both the SS's who have signed already(Vizquel and Guzman), and they both got around $4 mill per year, he will get much more then that.

Right?

Basically all that's saying is that if only 1 team wanted him, he'd get around $6.5 mill...but because multiple teams do, his value will go up, and because he's better then both the SS's who have signed already(Vizquel and Guzman), and they both got around $4 mill per year, he will get much more then that.

Right?

He wasn't all that much better than Vizquel and Guzman this past year. $6.5 to $7 million is about right and I say he ends up signing for about that.

He wasn't all that much better than Vizquel and Guzman this past year.  $6.5 to $7 million is about right and I say he ends up signing for about that.

That's a reasonable price, I think, for Renteria, but I have no doubt some team will overpay hoping they get 2003 from him(.330 13 100 34 .874), when really, 2004 was better then his average year before 02.

I see him getting $8-10 mill from a team like the Cubs, quite honestly.

That's a reasonable price, I think, for Renteria, but I have no doubt some team will overpay hoping they get 2003 from him(.330 13 100 34 .874), when really, 2004 was better then his average year before 02.

I see him getting $8-10 mill from a team like the Cubs, quite honestly.

You're right. I can see that happening. :headshake

So why are the Sox not going after him then we have about 40-45 mil to spend, spending 8-10mil on Renteria is not a bad idea. WE still have 35-37 mil to play with for another SP and RP.

And for the person that thought that he can lead-off.. Nope he a good number 2 or 5 hitter not lead-off.

Where have you heard the Sox have 40-45 million dollars to spend???? It is more like $10-15 at absolute tops.

I like Renteria but he's not a leadoff hitter. Kendall could bring far more positives to the sox than Renteria, with his OBP and the hole he'd fill at C. And they'll both be in the same price range, yet Renteria should sign at least a 4 yr deal [Kendall has 3 more yrs left.]