*Official* College Basketball Thread

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 12:19 AM)
Just wait until Bracey Wright goes from a 2.0 star rating to 4.5 over night around B10 tourney time  :P

Sounds like something else. ;) Anyway, the draft in the sim league was today. Your first pick was a 5.0 closer.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I call myself a Bandwagon Supporter, so I'm riding on the Utah train as of now (thanks to Bogut). Last year it was Connecticut (with Okafor), and I wouldn't mind seeing Georgia Tech do well again (with the Aussie Center Schlerser? dude).

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I was referring to his "quiet" comment about who he thinks really is number 1 right now. He said it was Carolina because of the frontline with Marvin/Jawad Williams and Sean May. Enough is enough out of him. This game needs no banter about UNC or the ACC for that matter, its a great matchup and a truly great team is dominating right now. Just no need for it. He's moved on from Duke because he realizes they don't have the depth this year, I almost wish he would go back.

i thought it was good guard play that wins championships? isn't that what dickie v was saying last year? Yeah, that's what I thought Dickie. Ever since he had to stand on his head at halfcourt, he hasn't liked the Illini.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Feb 1, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
Ha, I hate the team but there is no denying they are one hell of a team.  Even though I do dislike them I enjoy watching them play.  They're a great team.

The way they played yesterday, no team was going to beat them. They have impressed me a ton in the few games I have got to see them play (Wake, Cincy, and obviously MSU). Everyone here was looking forward to this game so bad, except obviously Chris Hill, Drew Nietzel, Paul Davis, and Shannon Brown. Right when State gets back into the top 10...my hat is off to the Illini.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 07:53 AM)
I call myself a Bandwagon Supporter, so I'm riding on the Utah train as of now (thanks to Bogut). Last year it was Connecticut (with Okafor), and I wouldn't mind seeing Georgia Tech do well again (with the Aussie Center Schlerser? dude).

The GT guy you're talking about is 7-footer Luke Schensher. And yes, he is an Aussie.

IU beat PSU tonight at home.

Play of the game was when Kline made the basket; he got a well-deserved standing-o. A select group of "fans" booed him when he went into the lineup in the Michigan game a few games back. I was really glad to see the real fans represent tonight.

Bracey left the game early; he was helped off the court and into the locker room. Kind of scary.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 05:05 PM)
i thought it was good guard play that wins championships?  isn't that what dickie v was saying last year?  Yeah, that's what I thought Dickie.  Ever since he had to stand on his head at halfcourt, he hasn't liked the Illini.

I thought he was quite complimentary of the Illini last night. So he likes North Carolina's potential as well. Who cares? What does it matter whether he "likes" the Illini or not?

Sometimes I think he could say Illinois is the best basketball team to ever exist on this earth and someone would find fault with something he said about them last year. You guys have a great team. Lighten up!!

Aww Rex, don't ruin a perfectly good Dickie V hating thread :bang .

lol j/k, I truly do like Dick as a person, he does alot of great things. I just get sick of his nonsense over and over again, in the past he would mention Duke 10 times a game when it was someone like Iowa/Nebraska playing that had absolutely nothing to do with the game. Now its UNC this year, you just don't see other announcers doing that. Dick used to be the guy everyone counted on for recruiting news and inside information, but with the Internet now, recruiting has passed him by. He's relegated to "Awesome BABY!", "PTP'er", "OOHHH The bald dome index!!".

He doesn't even speak much about basketball anymore, its all cliches filling the airspace. I just think its passed him by. He does alot of good for the game outside the booth, I think he should focus on that now.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 10:17 PM)
#7 Wake beats #6 Duke at home, 92-89....

Does the ACC know what defense is? Everytime I see a score from Carolina or Duke or Wake it's up in the 90s or even 100s. And it's not just against the weaker teams it's against everyone. :huh

Illinois hasn't allowed anyone to score 80 on them.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 11:25 PM)
Does the ACC know what defense is? Everytime I see a score from Carolina or Duke or Wake it's up in the 90s or even 100s. And it's not just against the weaker teams it's against everyone. :huh

It's about pace not just how good a team is defensively. UNC plays soid defense but they as well as the rest of the ACC plays more up tempo resulting in higher scores. Wake doesn't play any D and Duke's D which year in and year out is very good just isn't that good this due to personnel.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 08:14 PM)
I thought he was quite complimentary of the Illini last night.  So he likes North Carolina's potential as well.  Who cares?  What does it matter whether he "likes" the Illini or not? 

Sometimes I think he could say Illinois is the best basketball team to ever exist on this earth and someone would find fault with something he said about them last year.  You guys have a great team.  Lighten up!!

I'm used to Vitale. I don't let it bother me anymore. And he's been fine lately. I have better things to worry about, like this team winning games.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Feb 2, 2005 -> 11:32 PM)
It's about pace not just how good a team is defensively.  UNC plays soid defense but they as well as the rest of the ACC plays more up tempo resulting in higher scores.  Wake doesn't play any D and Duke's D which year in and year out is very good just isn't that good this due to personnel.

Very true.

Also, look at FG% against. That's also a good defensive indicator.

QUOTE(The Bones @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)

Neither has Indiana :ph34r: ; damn we're going to get pwn3d on Sunday. Why does that game have to be on CBS? :crying Bracey left tonight's game early; I'll probably hear what his status is tomorrow. At least most of America won't even know about it, thanks to the Super Bowl.

But yeah, definitely a different style of basketball in the ACC. It seems just about all the successful teams in their conference really play a quick style of ball.