For Anyone Who Though We Could Sign Benitez...

Butter Parque

Holy smokes. Although I never thought, even for a second, we would get Benitez(for better or for worse), but the Giants? Wow. This team is making some big time aquisitions and screwing up the off-season plans for more than a few teams.

I hope they are balling in Wrigleyville. :fthecubs

Who Cares about the Cubs, we could of used him.

NEW PLAN: Try and trade for Octavio Dotel in maybe a package deal with Huddy, then make him the set-up man and if Shingo falters, put him in as closer.

I shudder at the thought of what we'd have to give up to get that package.

This is just hypothetical and not realistic at all but look at the players we offered for RJ.

Now would you be willing to give up Konerko, Garland, Anderson, and another prospect for these two?

2) As for Dotel, this is a very telling year for Dotel. I could understand if he had trouble adjusting to the closer role. But now he has the experience and a year under is belt, if he still can't do it, then you know what he is, but he could still be an unbelievable set-up man.

Holy smokes.  Although  I never thought, even for a second, we would get Benitez(for better or for worse), but the Giants?  Wow.  This team is making some big time aquisitions and screwing up the off-season plans for more than a few teams. 

I hope they are balling in Wrigleyville.  :fthecubs

Giants are spending some money this offseason, but damn, if I were them I would spend some money on getting a bat to hit around Bonds... Imagine if Bonds had competent, established hitters around him. That's why Alou would be good for them at this point.

Eh, I'm not so sure about Nelson.

For the right price, I would...but the right price is around 1 mill, 2 mill tops. His numbers just continue to get worse and worse as he gets older.

2000 NYY - 2.45 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, K/9 of 9, K/BB of 1.5 in 69.6 innings

2001 SEA - 2.76 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, K/9 of 12, K/BB of 2 in 65.3 innings

2002 SEA - 3.94 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, K/9 of 10.8, K/BB of 2 in 45.6 innings

2003 SEA and NYY - 3.74 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, K/9 of 11, K/BB of 3 in 55.3 innings

2004 TEX - 5.32 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, K/9 of 9, K/BB of 1 in 23.6 innings

He'd be a risk, but at the right price, could be a steal. I could actually see the Sox picking him up ala Cliff Politte last year.

Eh, I'm not so sure about Nelson.

For the right price, I would...but the right price is around 1 mill, 2 mill tops.  His numbers just continue to get worse and worse as he gets older.

2000 NYY - 2.45 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, K/9 of 9, K/BB of 1.5 in 69.6 innings

2001 SEA - 2.76 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, K/9 of 12, K/BB of 2 in 65.3 innings

2002 SEA - 3.94 ERA, 1.38 WHIP, K/9 of 10.8, K/BB of 2 in 45.6 innings

2003 SEA and NYY - 3.74 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, K/9 of 11, K/BB of 3 in 55.3 innings

2004 TEX - 5.32 ERA, 1.52 WHIP, K/9 of 9, K/BB of 1 in 23.6 innings

He'd be a risk, but at the right price, could be a steal.  I could actually see the Sox picking him up ala Cliff Politte last year.

Any of his season before last year would be an improvement in our pen. But i agree has to be cheap ro even think about it. I just love watching this guy pitch though. The movement he gets on every pitch is amazing.

Nelson made less than $2 mil last year, and with his numbers declining, I'm sure he'd be willing to take a paycut. It might be a risk, but at the very least it increases the bullpen depth by one:

Takatsu

Marte

Nelson

Politte

Cotts

Adkins/Diaz

or

Takatsu

Marte

Politte

Cotts

Diaz

Adkins

I also think he brings a certain amount of intensity and leadership to a team that needs more of both. Another option I would like to see, which I know many of you will jeer me for, is trading for Kyle Farnsworth. The Flubs don't want him anymore, and I truly believe that if he gets away from Wrigley, he will be a stud. He's got the stuff, all he needs is someone to harness his energy.

Two more ideas:

Jeff Zimmerman - Hasn’t pitched since 2001, but put up good numbers when he was healthy. He might get a major league deal from someone, but probably not. A solid minor league FA pickup.

Esteban Yan – Has the tools to be a closer, high heat, with a nasty slider and splitter. Plagued by inconsistency, and lacks the mental makeup to be a closer. However, he made under $1 mil last year, and would be a relatively cheap and effective pickup for middle relief.

It's nice to see you haven't carried the anti-Cub thing too far -- I want them to enjoy themselves too.  But next time, no need to be so graphic...  :lol:

Yeah, Yeah...so sue me.

EDIT: Rather than edit nearly every post...I tend to catch my grammatical errors later. I wanted to see if I could get away with that one. Guess not. :P

Bentitez

not for three years.

Giants are throwin money down the toilet to give him and Vizquel three years.

The Giants are in a unique situation. They are running out of time with Barry Bonds in the lineup. I'm sure they are trying to do what it takes to get the job done. Think about it. They've had, arguably, the two greatest players in the history of the game in Mays and Bonds. Yet, the SF Giants have never won the World Series. I think these signings are out of desperation and they'll willingly suffer the consequences later.