Holy crap, did anyone see ESPN News?

Guest JimH

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of guys like Dye ... guys that were once productive but due to injuries have not produced as much the last couple of years .... There is a guy out there that we could probably get for very little. The Mets are wanting to get out of Cliff Floyd's contract and I believe they'd pay a significant portion of it. He's got 2 years and $13 Million left on his contract. This is guy who if he can be healthy, could possibly have a 2004 J. D. Drew type year in '05. Even at last years numbers, he wasn't that far off Carlos Lee's numbers and if we can get the Mets to pick 4 or 5 million of that remaining contract, he could be a real bargain. I'm sure he'd love to put together a couple of good years to re-establish himself as a quality player before his contract is up. He's 31 so it's not like he'll get old before his contract expires.

Keep in mind, I'm looking for a bargain here. Floyd would not be my first choice but it's an idea worth exploring.

Ok. I've said my piece, so go ahead and rip me to shreds. :lol:

Edit: I withdraw my comparison to Carlos. I misread a couple of numbers on his stats.

Speaking of guys like Dye ... guys that were once productive but due to injuries have not produced as much the last couple of years .... There is a guy out there that we could probably get for very little.  The Mets are wanting to get out of Cliff Floyd's contract and I believe they'd pay a significant portion of it.  He's got 2 years and $13 Million left on his contract.  This is guy who if he can be healthy, could possibly have a 2004 J. D. Drew type year in '05.  Even at last years numbers, he wasn't that far off Carlos Lee's numbers and if we can get the Mets to pick 4 or 5 million of that remaining contract, he could be a real bargain.  I'm sure he'd love to put together a couple of good years to re-establish himself as a quality player before his contract is up.  He's 31 so it's not like he'll get old before his contract expires. 

Keep in mind, I'm looking for a bargain here.  Floyd would not be my first choice but it's an idea worth exploring. 

Ok.  I've said my piece, so go ahead and rip me to shreds.  :lol:

Edit:  I withdraw my comparison to Carlos.  I misread a couple of numbers on his stats.

IIRC, KW contacted The Mets last season when both Frank/Maggs went down to see about Floyd's price? Also, IIRC They were discussions about a Floyd for Sweeney deal, but Ozzie begged KW not to and KW then broke off talks. Not sure if that's 100% accurate or not.

All in all I think Floyd would be ok, if healthy. He kind of reminds me of Everett though.

Let me say as more of a reader than a poster, ALL of the posts that criticize other posters make me think less about the poster.

One reason I post here rather than WSI is that there is far better coverage of the Sox minor leagues here - through the futuresox people and some of the posters - and because there are all sorts of artificial rules at WSI. And because people are catty over there and like to post "this thread sucks" etc. and are fascist in insistence on what color font you use. Like I f***ing care. (Oh, the swearing, too.)

But if this place is going to be an insult fest, then it's outlived its usefulness in my mind. Here's a tip - if someone insults you, remember one thing - it's an Internet message board. Someone who needs to insult other people on Internet message boards to get their jolleys is a pretty sad person. There's no reason to respond. Ignore it.

Let me say as more of a reader than a poster, ALL of the posts that criticize other posters make me think less about the poster.

One reason I post here rather than WSI is that there is far better coverage of the Sox minor leagues here - through the futuresox people and some of the posters - and because there are all sorts of artificial rules at WSI.  And because people are catty over there and like to post "this thread sucks" etc. and are fascist in insistence on what color font you use. Like I f***ing care.  (Oh, the swearing, too.)

But if this place is going to be an insult fest, then it's outlived its usefulness in my mind.  Here's a tip - if someone insults you, remember one thing - it's an Internet message board.  Someone who needs to insult other people on Internet message boards to get their jolleys is a pretty sad person.  There's no reason to respond.  Ignore it.

Excellent post. I would like to add:

It is much easier to attack a person than their ideas and opinions. Intelligent debate exposes your ideas to scrutiny and review, that scares some people. Personal attacks only exposes the attacker's shallowness.

Try starting threads with "I believe", or "in my opinion" instead of "you stupid idiot".

Excellent post. I would like to add:

It is much easier to attack a person than their ideas and opinions. Intelligent debate exposes your ideas to scrutiny and review, that scares some people. Personal attacks only exposes the attacker's shallowness.

Try starting threads with "I believe", or "in my opinion" instead of "you stupid idiot".

I'll have to agree with both posters here...

You lose a lot of respect when you call out the individual when he or she may be wrong.

One reason I post here rather than WSI is that there is far better coverage of the Sox minor leagues here - through the futuresox people and some of the posters - and because there are all sorts of artificial rules at WSI.  And because people are catty over there and like to post "this thread sucks" etc. and are fascist in insistence on what color font you use. Like I f***ing care.  (Oh, the swearing, too.)

But if this place is going to be an insult fest, then it's outlived its usefulness in my mind.  Here's a tip - if someone insults you, remember one thing - it's an Internet message board.  Someone who needs to insult other people on Internet message boards to get their jolleys is a pretty sad person.  There's no reason to respond.  Ignore it.

:notworthy :notworthy

I think the occasional argument and insult is good for the board. It's just more prevalent now because we're enduring the offseason and we don't have much Sox to talk about.

I actually have more respect for posters like Steff or YASNY because even though we've bickered and insults have been tossed around, they let me know exactly how they felt, and I've thought about where they are coming from. They are full of personality and the board is better with posters like that.

Another example, Qwerty let Anthrax have it last night, and I think it was well deserved. I'm not sure if it will make a difference (hopefully), but at least Anthrax knows what most of the board thinks of his posts. I'm glad he didn't turn the other cheek.

I come to soxtalk because it isn't run like a Nazi dictatorship. WSI is good for pure baseball discussion, but gets dull and boring. When Cerb flames somebody, it's just plain entertaining, and usually has merit.

If you are too mature to insult somebody on an internet message board, then you should feel free to just let things go. But I don't think posters should be discouraged from using insults if they were personally attacked by someone else, as long as it doesn't get completely out of hand. It's just an internet message board...