New Randy to Chicago talk

Mr. Showtime

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you bat someone with 30 HR's(estimated again) over a guy who had 41, or a guy who had 40 the season before? I say Rowand bats the Renteria role and it's either 2nd or 6th. I would go with the earlier. I'm sure Ozzie will too.

Barry Bonds has batted in the #4 spot at about a 3:1 ratio compared to #3 in the order, while averaging 45+ HR's the last 3 years... While they had 24 HR's total coming from the #3 spot in '04, and 23 in '03, Marquis Grissom taking a majority of the AB's --

It's a common practice to have your "slugger" bat 4th... I know Konerko hitting #3 would be a disaster. He would end the season with about 40 GIDP's.

If Randy Johnson came over to the White Sox, do you realize the PR explosion that would set off?

We would immediately be "contenders."

His PR ability alone makes this a worth while deal.

For example, Steve Spurrier taking the job at South Carloina. They opened up Sportscenter with a f***ing South Carolina story. Now, imagine if that was the most dominant pitcher of his era.

He'd put asses in the seats, he'd generate a nation-wide buzz over our team, and he'd immediately put us as favorites in our division.

Garland, starting OF, Marte, prospect...Pull the trigger Kenny.

If he is serious about making a splash, this would be it. If not, sign Clement and let's call it an offseason. I'd be happy with both.

I'm not sure when Aaron Rowand turned into Miguel Cabrera. Untouchable is a strong word. I don't think we have one player I would classify as untouchable. the closest things are Buehrle and Garcia. I would lose no sleep over a Rowand/Anderson based package with a few mid-level guys. Aaron Rowand is a nice player but he's not going to be a superstar for this team. I think if we included Rowand, we could take Judy off the table. And then, we have a World Series contender based on the strength of our pitching.

Would AZ take Brian Anderson or Chris Young over ARow and have Everett as the "Starting OFer"? Prob. A-Row maybe isn't a superstar. But he's a productive, multi talented major leaguer playing a tough position. At only 27, giving A Row up now wouldn't be smart, even for RJ. Trading a minor leaguer over Rowand would be the way to go

If Randy Johnson came over to the White Sox, do you realize the PR explosion that would set off?

For example, Steve Spurrier taking the job at South Carloina.  They opened up Sportscenter with a f***ing South Carolina story.  Now, imagine if that was the most dominant pitcher of his era.

He'd put asses in the seats, he'd generate a nation-wide buzz over our team, and he'd immediately put us as favorites in our division.

If he is serious about making a splash, this would be it.  If not, sign Clement and let's call it an offseason.  I'd be happy with both.

Your finally seeing what I have been preaching for a while.. we need a big name to get fans in the seats and get national attention. RJ would bring that Yes.. as would Landing Hudson and AJ.. They would have the best Rotation on paper in the Majors.

1. Hudson 18wins

2, Marky B 18wins

3. Garcia 18win

4. AJ Burnett 17wins

5. Contreas 15wins

name me a better rotation than that? When your # 4 can strike out 200 and win you 15-18 games.. you have a damn good staff

I want Johnson just as much as anyone but if it's going to cost Garland, Rowand/Podsednik/Dye, Sweeney, Marte, and a PTBNL, KW better tell Arizona to go pound sand up their ass.

I thought I was the only person in the world that used "go pound sand in your ass".

Nice to see it is alive and well.

Agreed. The D-Backs are insane with these demands. Ship Garland, Sweeney and a PTBNL. That's it. RJ is old and expensive and the Sox are taking on all the risk.

B-Mac can step in (maybe as early as September) to fill Garland's spot if needed. With Posednik, Rowand, and Dye you've got a good defensive outfield through 2006. Hopefully Borchard can learn to hit a curveball by 2006, that would make us forget about Sweeney and his potential.

Would AZ take Brian Anderson or Chris Young over ARow and have Everett as the "Starting OFer"? Prob. A-Row maybe isn't a superstar. But he's a productive, multi talented major leaguer playing a tough position. At only 27, giving A Row up now wouldn't be smart, even for RJ. Trading a minor leaguer over Rowand would be the way to go

I agree keep rowand he has some good talent while the minor leaguers are debatable, i mean come on look at borchard he sucks ;)

For example, Steve Spurrier taking the job at South Carloina.  They opened up Sportscenter with a f***ing South Carolina story.  Now, imagine if that was the most dominant pitcher of his era.

And I believe that the first recruit Spurrier called to lure to South Carolina...committed to North Carolina.

PR only gets you so much and RJ will only put butts in the seats once every 5 days. Half on the road...so 16 times per season?

Yeah, not so much. PR doesn't win championships.

If he is serious about making a splash, this would be it.  If not, sign Clement and let's call it an offseason.  I'd be happy with both.

RJ is not enough.

I think if we get RJ, as many people have said, then JR almost HAS to open up the wallet and go for it, balls out and land 2 more pieces of the puzzle. The absolute WORST thing for us, while we're on the subject of PR, would be to land RJ and STILL lose the division.

So no, just the PR alone is not good enough, you'd have to win it all, IMO.

RJ is not enough.

I think if we get RJ, as many people have said, then JR almost HAS to open up the wallet and go for it, balls out and land 2 more pieces of the puzzle. The absolute WORST thing for us, while we're on the subject of PR, would be to land RJ and STILL lose the division.

So no, just the PR alone is not good enough, you'd have to win it all, IMO.

Couldn't disagree with you more. When there is a buzz about a team, it usually reflects in Ws and Ws usually mean more $.

If we are already the favorites in the division, Randy would almost guarntee an AL Central title.

Although attendance was down last year at the BOB, look at the numbers on days where Randy was starting, its histarical. He was the ONLY draw last year and they still did ok.

The Sox would not fold with Randy Johnson.

EDIT: With Johnson comes instant credibility.

Only make this deal if it makes your team better, no reason to do it to get good pr. I could careless if we leadoff sportscenter and I could careless if the national media thinks the sox are contenders. If the dbacks demand rowand then forget about it. I'd love rj but I still think the best thing to do is sign Clement and then go after Cora if he is non-tendered.

I think even those of us in favor of traidng Aaron agree that it is too high. I think what we, or at least I, am saying is that by including Rowand perhaps the overall price goes down. That means that maybe we get to hang on to Judy or Marte. One last point for me on this topic as I've pretty much already expressed my views, the position argument for Rowand's value is now nullified as he will be playing the same position as Bonds, Alou, and Carlos Lee. LF defense is overrated in my opinion, unless you are completely inept out there.

No. I'll starting throwing punches if RJ is on the team next year. I DO NOT want to see Johnson in a Sox uni. I just have a feeling it'll work out like the past two biig time aces we have gotten (Wells, Colon).

I think you're the only person in the world who would complain about having, arguably, the best pitcher in the majors on their team.

I think you're the only person in the world who would complain about having, arguably, the best pitcher in the majors on their team.

I've just got a really bad gut feeling, the fact that we'd be trading one of our starting OF's and one of our top prospects. I only have 3 prospects I wouldn't trade. We'd still have the 5th starter hole. I just would much rather have Clement than RJ and lose all those guys.....7

That is a ridiculous asking price for RJ.

Which is why the Yankmees told Arizona no way. The D-Backs want too much and I hope it's not the Sox that fill their stockings. But, as stated before I can see KW doing this. If he does and we don't win next year I think the whole front office should be canned. It is hard staying positive with what I see happening.