WSCR reports on Clement

ManSooLee

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is what it takes to get Matt then fine, it's definitely overpaying but if that's what we have to do to get him here then so be it. He's one of two options left on the free agent market and he's definitely a perfect fit I feel for the sox, he's a strikeout pitcher and he's a groundball pitcher. If we just sign Clement and be done with it I'd be very happy with the offseason. I have no problem keeping willie out there now that he will be the number 9 hitter because him and Juan just might be the best dp combo in all of baseball. I think everyone here wouldn't mind an upgrade at catcher but I for one don't think a davis/burke platoon is the worst thing in the world. Ink clement up and overpay if you have to, jmo.

I just wanna know if this rumor of clement getting 3 yrs 30 mil is true. I havent heard anything this morning and usually something this big it would be metioned. I just wanna know whats deal going on. thanks

It appears that the Sox are one of 7 seven teams with offers on the table to Clement. All appear to be for 3 years at between 7 and 8 million per. That's based on articles in various newspapers around the country.

From the Boston Globe:

The Blue Jays, Angels, Dodgers, Diamondbacks, White Sox, and Indians are the other teams in the bidding for Clement, who is expected to command an offer of at least three years, at an average annual value of $8 million, if not more.

Clement's agent, Barry Axelrod, confirmed the Sox' offer last night.

"There was no real change [in Clement's status] today," Axelrod said. "We've gotten our information together, and Matt's going to go home, talk things over with his wife, and probably will have a decision by the end of the week."

Of course the Red Sox are the other team in the mix. Sounds like they've pulled all the offers together and Clement will decide. If what we are hearing is true, I'm glad Clement's wife is involved in the decision.

From the Boston Globe:

Of course the Red Sox are the other team in the mix.  Sounds like they've pulled all the offers together and Clement will decide.  If what we are hearing is true, I'm glad Clement's wife is involved in the decision.

I was thinking the same thing, Matt trust your wife, she knows what she's talking about.

wow, that's overpaying, but i'm willing to do that, if that's what it takes to have one of the most solid rotations in baseball, i'll sacrifice some offense, not like there's that much offense out there for us right now anyways.

wow, that's overpaying, but i'm willing to do that, if that's what it takes to have one of the most solid rotations in baseball, i'll sacrifice some offense, not like there's that much offense out there for us right now anyways.

besides..the sox can always trade come june/july for a little offensive help. KW still has minor leaguers to trade :bang ;)

Let me say this, I hope we are not relying on Matt Clements wife to make the decision. Now I am not saying she can't help, which I am sure she can, but she can hurt as well. My wife loves chicago and all her friends, but show her southern california , with sunshine, and she would like that too. Women are fickle...all the time. Just ask steff! :wub:

A below .500 career pitcher, whose best year was 2 games over .500. If KW breaks the bank for this guy, I guarantee he will regret it. Forget run support, the 2005 White Sox won't be providing as much run support in the past and Clement, if he pitched at USCF will have a significantly higher era than he had this year. One that will probably be closer to 5.00 than 4.00. He is 69-75 lifetime, how is that an impact pitcher?

A below .500 career pitcher, whose best year was 2 games over .500. If KW breaks the bank for this guy, I guarantee he will regret it. Forget run support, the 2005 White Sox won't be providing as much run support in the past and Clement, if he pitched at USCF will have a significantly higher era than he had this year. One that will probably be closer to 5.00 than 4.00. He is 69-75 lifetime, how is that an impact pitcher?

Matt Clement is a good pitcher, and the perfect canidate for the number 3 role that he would be filling.

His record is decieving, he should have had alot more wins for the cubs last year had they're bullpen not sucked and if they would have scored more runs during his starts....

he went through a seven start stretch last year where he gave up only 12 total ER and he was awarded 5 losses.... he's a good pitcher and the fact that the current offer is at 7 or 8 mil a year makes it even easier to digest.

Nolan Ryan lead MLB with a 2.76 era while going 8-16, during one season in Houston. Records in MLB are not very good indicators of how well someone pitched.

Let me say this, I hope we are not relying on Matt Clements wife to make the decision. Now I am not saying she can't help, which I am sure she can, but she can hurt as well. My wife loves chicago and all her friends, but show her southern california , with sunshine, and she would like that too. Women are fickle...all the time. Just ask steff! :wub:

Good point quick.. good point. :lol:

Yes Matt talk it over with your wife.  She is the one who wants to stay in ChiTown, raise your newborn baby.

For the love of God listen to her.

Does Clement have a new baby? Other kids? If so, he's not leaving Chi. for Ana. if the money is the same [or very slightly less]. Clement is a cerebral type pitcher [prob. married a wife who's smarter than him--the only way to go, IMO]. His wife won't want to leave, with uprooting the kids and all. The few extra bucks won't be worth it to her, wanting to stay in Chi. And if she is "smarter" than him, she'll get the final say.

If just wait for the press conference

Good point quick.. good point.  :lol:

You know, I agree that Clement hasn't done enough at this point to justify the White Sox investing this kind of money in him. The Sox are in a Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation here. What I'd like to know is, what do YOU think the Sox should do?

Does Clement have a new baby? Other kids? If so, he's not leaving Chi. for Ana. if the money is the same [or very slightly less]. Clement is a cerebral type pitcher [prob. married a wife who's smarter than him--the only way to go, IMO]. His wife won't want to leave, with uprooting the kids and all. The few extra bucks won't be worth it to her, wanting to stay in Chi. And if she is "smarter" than him, she'll get the final say.

If just wait for the press conference

Not much to "uprooting" a newborn.. or kids under 4 for that matter.

Nolan Ryan lead MLB with a 2.76 era while going 8-16, during one season in Houston.  Records in MLB are not very good indicators of how well someone pitched.

Clement's career era is over 4.00 in the NL. It was over 5.00 the last 2 months of last season. As I have stated before, he is not a bad pitcher, but if someone wants to give him 8 or 9 or 10 million a year, that's insane, especially for a team with a limited budget like the White Sox. If he has his best year and goes 15-11, he is not worth that kind of money. His best year was 14-12, he won 9 games last year, and was out of his team's rotation at the end of last year due to injury and ineffectiveness. If the reports of the Sox offer are true, hopefully he will choose southern California. Wins are the most important stat a pitcher has. Wins get you in the Hall of Fame, having a low era does not. If Nolan Ryan had that record for 24 straight seasons, he would not be in Cooperstown.