White Sox Interested in Milton

DBAHO

The 5th starter? Let's sure hope not;

Although the White Sox had until late Monday night to tender contracts to their arbitration-eligible players, it was unlikely they would do so for pitchers Scott Schoeneweis, Ryan Meaux and Eduardo Villacis, as well as catcher Ben Davis.

But that doesn't necessarily close the door on the possibility of those players returning.

General manager Ken Williams expressed interest in re-signing both Davis and Schoeneweis for a little less money than they would receive through arbitration.

While Davis has indicated to the organization he would like to return, it might be a tougher sell to get Schoeneweis to come back to the South Side.

The left-handed pitcher, who went 6-9 with a 5.59 ERA and missed almost two months with an elbow injury, wants to remain a starter. As the rotation sets up now, Schoeneweis could get a chance to compete for the No. 5 spot in the rotation with Jason Grilli, but that would change if Williams is able to land the starting pitcher he has been searching for this offseason.

The Sox still have interest in free-agent pitcher Eric Milton, but the salaries starters are commanding this winter have been higher than Williams expected and may force him out of the sweepstakes for the left-hander.

Sox outfielder Aaron Rowand is also arbitration-eligible, but the two sides were still trying to complete a deal Monday that would lock up Rowand for the next several years.

The Sox had already avoided arbitration with pitcher Jon Garland, infielder Juan Uribe and outfielder Timo Perez, signing each to a new deal.

Poor Kenny. Value of free agents has jeopardized William's grand scheme of acquiring an additional starting pitcher. :crying

Granted Milton is not worthy of a lucrative contract, which he is seeking, but this excuse of blaming the market will reoccur following the signing of remaining starters. Sign Perez. Sign Miller. Sign El f***ing Duque. Williams owes it to his players and fans to sign an additional starter; one whom immediately upgrades our rotation. Schoeneweis shouldn't have even been an option.

I'll be sure to thank management when mid-season approaches, and we're left trading valuable prospects to plug a hole ignored this offseason.

But Milton, a free agent who is seeking a reported $8 million a year, might be too expensive. Besides the Marlins and New York Yankees, who reportedly have made a three-year, $21 million offer for Milton, there are at least five other teams interested in him: Anaheim, Boston, Cleveland, Los Angeles and St. Louis.

This is from the Palm Beach Post. Milton is not worth this much cash to the Sox, as he'd have a permanent crick in his neck from jerking his head around watching all those bombs leave the Cell.

Pay Schoeney $2Million and forget this guy.

Poor Kenny.  Value of free agents has jeopardized William's grand scheme of acquiring an additional starting pitcher.  :crying

Granted Milton is not worthy of a lucrative contract, which he is seeking, but this excuse of blaming the market will reoccur following the signing of remaining starters. 

I'll be sure to thank management when mid-season approaches, and we're left trading valuable prospects to plug a hole ignored this offseason.

I bet KW could come up with anybody to plug the hole in the 5th SP spot. But getting a #1-3 is harder to come by. But what exactly is your plan to fill the hole in the rotation?

I bet KW could come up with anybody to plug the hole in the 5th SP spot. But getting a #1-3 is harder to come by. But what exactly is your plan to fill the hole in the rotation?

Ah, you quoted my post too soon.

Sign Perez. Sign Miller. Sign El f***ing Duque. Williams owes it to his players and fans to sign an additional starter; one whom immediately upgrades our rotation. Schoeneweis shouldn't have even been an option.

It all depends on how much money the Sox have left to spend. If it's 10 million, the Sox could sign Miller to a 2 year $11 million deal possibly ($5mill in 2005, $6 mill in 2006, $7 mill team option for 2007), sign Pierzynski to a 2 year $7 million deal ($3 mill in 2005, $4mill in 2006) and sign Cora to a 2 year $3.5 - $4 million deal.

I do kind of find it humorous yet sickening that b4 the off season began it was said getting a top tier starter was the highest priority. Now here they are looking at the bottom of the barrel type guys. Seems like to me Kenny was hoping for more out of trades that never came to be. Hopefully it will get resolved considering there is tons of time but the talent pool is thinning big time.

Ah, you quoted my post too soon.

My bad. I get the feeling that those guys would be great to fill the hole in the 4th or 5th spots. Yet with Garland and Jose C both big question marks, getting a #1 or a #2 is foremost in their minds instead of adding another question mark [which Perez [makeup, durability], Miller [injury] and El Duque [health] are all.

Vazquez is still probably the sox target, even if it means Garland leaving. The 5th spot is easier to fill than a SP at the top of the rotation. I can see Schoeneweis trying the market to get a spot on someone's rotation for the same money the sox offered, not finding any takers, and coming back.

I do kind of find it humorous yet sickening that b4 the off season began it was said getting a top tier starter was the highest priority. Now here they are looking at the bottom of the barrel type guys. Seems like to me Kenny was hoping for more out of trades that never came to be. Hopefully it will get resolved considering there is tons of time but the talent pool is thinning big time.

Did the Sox say they were going after the top FA SP's this offseason? The only one I heard mentioned was clement. I did hear names like RJ, Vazquez and Hudson [though the A's didn't want to trade him to AL teams]. They still like Vazquez, who should also be on the market after LA gets him. The Sox prob. will put together a trade offer along the lines they did for Freddy Garcia, a "we'll top any offer" for him.

But the only bottom of the barrel type SP's being talked about getting are coming from us fans and writers, not the Sox

Holy s***, quit f***ing around with crappy players, pony up and sign some actually capable players.

But good players cost us money. Whats wrong with Jason Grilli anyways. He is a pitcher just give him a chance. Look how he helps the bottom line, I mean the future of the team

reinsdorf2.gif reinsdorf5.gif

Holy s***, quit f***ing around with crappy players, pony up and sign some actually capable players.

I feel your frustration, Kemosabe.

Actually, I felt it several months ago.

When this offseason began, I never put much faith into this organization properly filling various roster holes. When Cubkilla or Anthrax anticipated a uneventful offseason, many here insulted them or regurgitated cliches. No one want's to hear gloom and doom, but rather a positive assessment of players we'll never consider. Even now, someone is typing a response which says "there's still two months until Spring Training. PLENTY of time to acquire a pitcher." Just learn to expect the worse and you'll be better braced for disappointment.

Some may wonder why some Sox fans are conditioned to be pessimistic. It's because of offseasons such as these; where our troubles (5th starter) are widely known, yet little is done to address this problems. Example: 6 million is available from the Carlos Lee deal. While it's entirely possible AJ Pierzynski remains an realistic option, what exactly leads me to believe they'll sign him? Of course it makes sense, but so does Odalis Perez. Sensible decisions have no place in the Reinsdorfian Era of cheapness. Some may say "it's unlikely Williams will sit on 6 million," but I wouldn't be so sure. If Williams truly has this money available, at this juncture in the offseason with a dwindling market available, he'll do whatever it takes to sign his players.

When this offseason began, I never put much faith into this organization properly filling various roster holes.  When Cubkilla or Anthrax anticipated a uneventful offseason, many here insulted them or regurgitated cliches.  No one want's to hear gloom and doom, but rather a positive assessment of players we'll never consider. Even now, someone is typing a response which says "there's still two months until Spring Training. PLENTY of time to acquire a pitcher." Just learn to expect the worse and you'll be better braced for disappointment.

Some may wonder why some Sox fans are conditioned to be pessimistic.  It's because of offseasons such as these; where our troubles (5th starter) are widely known, yet little is done to address this problems. 6 million is available from the Carlos Lee deal.  While it's entirely possible AJ Pierzynski remains an realistic option, what exactly leads me to believe they'll sign him?  Of course it makes sense, but so does Odalis Perez. Sensible decisions have no place in the Reinsdorfian Era of cheapness.

how could you call the offseason uneventful, its not over, and nobody saw the trade coming with Carlos to the brewers. Cry all you want, but there are still moves to be made, and he is not going to make his intentions public. If he did, someone on this board would have forseen the bullpen moves that were made (and they made us tons better) and spod coming. Midol for everyone!!

When this offseason began, I never put much faith into this organization properly filling various roster holes.  When Cubkilla or Anthrax anticipated a uneventful offseason, many here insulted them off or regurgitated cliches.  No one want's to hear gloom and doom, but rather a cheery assessment of players we'll never consider. Even now, someone is typing a response which says "there's still two months until Spring Training. PLENTY of time to acquire a pitcher."

Some may wonder why some Sox fans are conditioned to be pessimistic.  It's because of offseasons such as these; where our troubles (5th starter) are widely known, yet little is done to address this problems. 6 million is available from the Carlos Lee deal.  While it's entirely possible AJ Pierzynski remains an realistic option, what exactly leads me to believe they'll sign him?  Of course it makes sense, but so does Odalis Perez.

I firmly believe the troubles of this offseason were caused by terrible moves that KW made last year with regards to trades made during the season. Currently, we're saddled with paying 10 million dollars for Contreras and Everett next year. Now, Contreras is so inconsistent, and 6 million should be spent on someone that's not a good candidate to be taken out of the game during the first inning. Then, the 4 million on Everett is a bigger problem for the Sox because there's a likely scenario where he would be a bench player for the Sox. Since when did a mild payroll team have 4 million dollar bench players? If KW doesn't get fired after this season (barring a playoff team), then he might as well build a statue of himself behind center field for being the luckiest man in history.