Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

Dye

Pierz

Iguchi

Crede

thats better, until we know if igu-whatever is worth his salt

I would not have Uribe batting 2nd. He doesn't get on base enough, and his power could be used more in the middle of the lineup...But I do agree that I dont want to see Iguchi in the 2nd spot as well...my projected lineup if both were signed is as follows:

Pods

Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Uribe

Crede

Iguchi

Me gusta...

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate how people say games mean nothing in april or may. They are just fools in my opinion for thinking that way. But then they will be the first one to b**** they lost the season by one game. Then after the season they will finally decide to look back on that one game against the division rival.

You're talking about two different things you fool. A win is important in April as it is in Sept. But there is more pressure in Sept.

If you think there is more pressure in April you're really a fool. The pressure is at least 10 times more in Sept. IF you're in the pennant race.

You're talking about two different things you fool.  A win is important in April as it is in Sept.  But there is more pressure in Sept. 

If you think there is more pressure in April you're really a fool.  The pressure is at least 10 times more in Sept.  IF you're in the pennant race.

What did i do to be called a fool? Just curious. All i was saying is i am sick of people saying that a loss in april means nothing. Because that is utter bulls***.

You're talking about two different things you fool.  A win is important in April as it is in Sept.  But there is more pressure in Sept. 

If you think there is more pressure in April you're really a fool.  The pressure is at least 10 times more in Sept.  IF you're in the pennant race.

My fault, Kittle.

I interpreted your first post wrong, don't go off on qwerty.

My bad -- and I agree completely that pressure is higher in September than in April.

:cheers

What did i do to be called a fool? Just curious. All i was saying is i am sick of people saying that a loss in april means nothing. Because that is utter bulls***.

You just used fool in your post. And I know you didn't say it directly to me. I didn't mean anything by it. But we are talking two different things. I agree you gotta win games in April for Sept to even matter. But there is no question during a pennant race, there is more pressure to win in Sept.

You just used fool in your post.  And I know you didn't say it directly to me. I didn't mean anything by it.  But we are talking two different things.  I agree you gotta win games in April for Sept to even matter.  But there is no question during a pennant race, there is more pressure to win in Sept.

Never said there was more pressure in april than in august. That would just be a silly thing to say. I just stated that wins are as important in april as they are in april.

It's all good. :cheers

I'm just curious, but what relevance does this argument have? Yes so Buehrle hasn't been in a pennant race. Does that make him bad? Buehrle is one of the better pitchers in the league. There are plenty of good pitchers out there that you can say this exact same thing to. So you don't know what he is going to do come September when/if we are 1 game ahead/behind, because he's never been in that situation. But what in Mark's history makes you even think that he wouldn't step up in that situation? I see nothing. Does anyone else see anything?

You don't think that some of those games in July and August against the Twins that Mark has pitched in before had playoff/pennant race pressure? You'd be nuts not to think that. I highly doubt Buehrle would crumble come the last 2-3 weeks of the season, especially when the Sox usually finish up against the lower teams in the AL Central...

EDIT: Mark is 11-6 against rival Minn in the last 3 years...

I would not have Uribe batting 2nd.  He doesn't get on base enough, and his power could be used more in the middle of the lineup...But I do agree that I dont want to see Iguchi in the 2nd spot as well...my projected lineup if both were signed is as follows:

Pods

Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

Dye

Pierzynski

Uribe

Crede

Iguchi

Me gusta...

IMO, thats the smarter lineup and Oz will prolly use that one too...o yea, about MB....if he isn't a good pitcher or w/e, ask the Yanks if they would want him, I bet my life they say yes.

for all the late night readers

A.J. has Sox appeal

Pierzynski draws contract offer

E-mail this story

Printer-friendly format

Search archives

More Headlines

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hall of Fame: How the Trib voted

My 2004: Diamond visions

Hernandez penciled in at No. 3 by Sox

'El Duque' could be Sox's 5th starter

Yanks fume as big deal falls apart

Ads by Google

Repair & Improve photos

Fixes all your damaged photos Shortcut PhotoClean: a must have

www.trulyphotomagic.com

Notre Dame Gifts/Apparel

Officially Licensed Notre Dame Gear Save At Irishfanshop.com

www.irishfanshop.com

Notre Dame Gift Shop

Football Jerseys, Apparel, Gifts. Compare Irish Products and Prices.

www.e-Irish.com

Cheap Insight Bowl

tickets. Great seats at affordable prices for the Insight Bowl

www.luckytickets.com

Notre Dame football

Selling notre dame football tickets We list all our tickets on the web

www.victorytickets.com

By Bob Foltman and Phil Rogers

Tribune staff reporters

December 30, 2004, 11:32 PM CST

After disregarding reports regarding A.J. Pierzynski's rocky reputation in San Francisco last season, White Sox general manager Ken Williams has offered the free-agent catcher a contract.

Williams and Pierzynski's agent, Steve Hilliard, confirmed the offer but would not elaborate on how much or for how many years.

It's believed, however, the offer is for less than the $3.5 million Pierzynski made last season with the Giants.

Hilliard also said he has received interest from other teams, but Williams said he will not get into a bidding war.

The Sox also are negotiating with agent Dick Moss for Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, 30, but may drop out of the running soon.

"He's a very good player, an impact-type player," Williams said.

Iguchi also may be looking for $7 million a season for three years, much more than the $2 million a season offer the Sox are believed to have made.

Regarding Pierzynski, who turned 28 Thursday, the Sox's interest is a turnaround from earlier in the month when Williams came to the conclusion he wouldn't be a fit in the clubhouse.

The Giants acquired Pierzynski from Minnesota last winter for Joe Nathan—who went on to become an All-Star closer for the Twins—but they didn't offer him salary arbitration, making him a free agent.

The Giants let Pierzynski go despite his .272 batting average, 11 home runs and 77 RBIs, which led National League catchers. The Giants signed former Cardinals catcher Mike Matheny earlier in the month.

In April several Giants pitchers anonymously ripped Pierzynski in a newspaper story, with one calling him a clubhouse "cancer."

"The pitchers aren't happy with him," one pitcher told the Oakland Tribune.

Another said that instead of going over the opposing lineup with starting pitchers, Pierzynski played cards.

"I've never in all my years seen a catcher who didn't watch video before games," another pitcher said. "He doesn't watch hitters—other than the Twins games when they are on TV."

Hilliard declined to comment on any of the allegations.

"We are well aware of what transpired in the past," Williams said.

Williams said he has talked with Pierzynski, who acknowledged some mistakes in his first season in San Francisco, and with others in the Giants organization, some of whom wanted to bring Pierzynski back.

Williams said the fact that he is talking with Hilliard means he's satisfied Pierzynski's problems in the clubhouse are a thing of the past.

"Who among us hasn't had a second, and in some cases third, chance?" Williams said.

Williams said he has spoken to many of the pitchers on his staff—presumably including Dustin Hermanson, who was in San Francisco last season.

Pierzynski, a lifetime .294 hitter, was a key member of Minnesota teams that tormented the Sox.

"A.J. is a fierce competitor," Williams said. "Often times that comes out in an abrasive way."

Despite his reputation, Pierzynski may benefit from the lack of quality catchers available this winter.

Without any moves, the Sox would open spring training with Ben Davis, a career .237 hitter, and Jamie Burke, a career minor-leaguer.

Williams has said he would be comfortable with a Davis-Burke tandem and that he likes the way both handle pitchers.

As for Iguchi, Williams thinks he would be a good fit because the Sox have become a desirable destination for Japanese players after the season relief pitcher Shingo Takatsu had in 2004.

"We have become extremely popular in Japan for some of the things [Takatsu] has done, the overall experience," Williams said. "The Japanese press tells me there is a great desire from players to come here."

Williams admits a couple other teams are interested in him, but he could be the Sox's regular second baseman and hit near the top of the order.

"He hits with power, but he has good speed," Williams said. "He's a high [on-base percentage] guy and a good base-stealer."

Iguchi hit .333 with 24 home runs and 89 RBIs with the Daiei Hawks last season.

Both the Pierzynski and Iguchi situations are likely to be resolved within the next week. Williams has said barring anything unexpected, he will have the team he plans on taking to spring training in place by the end of the first week of January.

The Sox also are negotiating with agent Dick Moss for Japanese second baseman Tadahito Iguchi, 30, but may drop out of the running soon.

"He's a very good player, an impact-type player," Williams said.

If he's an impact type player, then up the offer and sign this dude.

I'm just curious, but what relevance does this argument have?  Yes so Buehrle hasn't been in a pennant race.  Does that make him bad?  Buehrle is one of the better pitchers in the league.  There are plenty of good pitchers out there that you can say this exact same thing to.  So you don't know what he is going to do come September when/if we are 1 game ahead/behind, because he's never been in that situation.  But what in Mark's history makes you even think that he wouldn't step up in that situation?  I see nothing.  Does anyone else see anything? 

You don't think that some of those games in July and August against the Twins that Mark has pitched in before had playoff/pennant race pressure?  You'd be nuts not to think that.  I highly doubt Buehrle would crumble come the last 2-3 weeks of the season, especially when the Sox usually finish up against the lower teams in the AL Central...

EDIT:  Mark is 11-6 against rival Minn in the last 3 years...

What in MB's history shows he CAN pitch in those situations? Nothing because he hasn't been in them. We don't know until he's in that situation and that's all I pointed out when I posted the concerns I have about the rotation.

I'll give you the perfect example, Mark Langston. Great pitcher when there is no pressure but a gutless loser when the pressure is on. See the Expos in 89 and the Angels. He was great in Seattle when they were always out of the race by July. And I'll never forget that gutless loser crying like a little girl in 95 during that one game playoff against Seattle. The gutless loser couldn't handle it.

With that said, I'm not saying that MB would be the next Langston. All I'm saying is that he hasn't faced that situation and until/unless he does, we won't know how he handles the pressure.

Nitetrain I don't feel confident on Japan player. Only way that could happened is if Kenny is asking Reinsdorf raise payroll and who knows what happened or what could happened with meeting. Things is with money we have left over we all know its either going to be second basemen or catcher. I still like to know why agent didn't mention any other teams then whitesox. Im sure the reporter asked who were the other teams.

What in MB's history shows he CAN pitch in those situations?  Nothing because he hasn't been in them.  We don't know until he's in that situation and that's all I pointed out when I posted the concerns I have about the rotation. 

I'll give you the perfect example, Mark Langston.  Great pitcher when there is no pressure but a gutless loser when the pressure is on.  See the Expos in 89 and the Angels.  He was great in Seattle when they were always out of the race by July.  And I'll never forget that gutless loser crying like a little girl in 95 during that one game playoff against Seattle.  The gutless loser couldn't handle it.

With that said, I'm not saying that MB would be the next Langston.  All I'm saying is that he hasn't faced that situation and until/unless he does, we won't know how he handles the pressure.

Just curious here. Weren't you the one saying we should have signed Clement? He of the 2-5 record and 5+ ERA through the stretch drive of last years pennant race.

I'll agree. Buehrle has not had the opportunity to show he's a big game pitcher yet. However, there is something about his demeanor and tenacity that leads me to believe he will step up under pressure.

I'd say he has a significantly higher likelyhood of doing so than Matt Clement.

Just curious here.  Weren't you the one saying we should have signed Clement?  He of the 2-5 record and 5+ ERA through the stretch drive of last years pennant race. 

I'll agree.  Buehrle has not had the opportunity to show he's a big game pitcher yet.  However, there is something about his demeanor and tenacity that leads me to believe he will step up under pressure. 

I'd say he has a significantly higher likelyhood of doing so than Matt Clement.

Did I say that Clement was going to be the White Sox ace? No. Third starter? Sure. A better option than El Do Nothing.

My thinking is that Iguchi is going to have to sign some sort of backloaded contract after the year Kaz Matsui had for New York, where he really struggled in his 1st season. That could set the precedent for Japanese infielders wanting to come over and sign him. I think he could end up signing a multiyear deal for about $3 to 4 mill in his 1st season 5 to 6 mill in the 2nd season, and then a 3rd year option for about $7 mill in 2007.

But we've got a lot of factors working for us in this situation that should give us an advantage over other teams possibly looking at him. US Cell is a wonderful hitters park, and Shingo had great success here, and by all reports the lifestyle and other important factors etc. impact favourably on the city of Chicago.