Aj's agent cofirms chisox made offer

chisox2334

Well, whatever -- you believe what you want, but a game is worth just as much in September and August as it is in April -- one.  When we needed a big game out of Buehrle against the Twinkies, Buehrle stepped up and pitched well.

Like I said, you believe what you want -- I'll take Buehrle over any other starting LHP not named Santana or Johnson.

I hate how people say games mean nothing in april or may. They are just fools in my opinion for thinking that way. But then they will be the first one to b**** they lost the season by one game. Then after the season they will finally decide to look back on that one game against the division rival.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Millwood and Perez still hasn't signed, unless they are dumb their asking price has to go down.  If the White Sox took Loiaza's salary and some of the other cost saving measures, they could have signed one or both of them.  At the very least have the flexibility to make what I consider better decisions.

What the hell are you talking about? :huh:

Their asking prices have gone upwards due to the contracts that Benson, Clement, Milton, Wright, and Pavano received. There is still demand out there for starting piotching yet the supply is not as great. therefore, the cost will be more for these pitchers.

Did you see Millwood pitch last year? and he's supposedly close to getting $7 million from the Indians!

I hate how people say games mean nothing in april or may. They are just fools in my opinion for thinking that way. But then they will be the first one to b**** they lost the season by one game. Then after the season they will finally decide to look back on that one game against the division rival.

Mark my words, if the Sox get off to their usual s***ty start in April (not last year though,) these same people will be the ones calling for Williams' head, and b****ing about how much Buehrle sucks. :rolly

Remember, a great, wise man once said; "It's not how you start off, it's how you finish." That was in response to Bartolo's overall dissapointing numbers in 2004. :rolly

You're right nobody has a perfect starting staff.  What I am saying is that the White Sox should not have signed El Do Nothing and went after either Perez, Clement, or Millwood.  I know the change in leagues is a concern for all three of those pitchers.  But they are better options than El Do Nothing (who was the cheaper option)

And while I like to look forward and don't want to dwell on the past, why did the White Sox trade for Loiaza for Conty?  Loiaza would have been a FA and the money saved from not signing him could have gone to a Pavano or though I'm not in favor of it, making a trade for Mulder or Hudson.  The money freed up by Loiaza contract could have gone to signing Mulder and Hudson to long term contracts.

I think people have a misunderstanding of what is a quality rotation in major league baseball today(especially in the AL). For example, if you look at the 4 teams that went to the playoffs in the AL this past season(NYY, Boston, Minn, and Ana), take the 5 guys with the most starts for each team, and rank them 1-5 based on ERA, than you would get the following averages.

#1 3.47

#2 4.08

#3 4.37

#4 4.99

#5 5.36

It helps put things into perspective. On average, only the #1 starter had an ERA below 4.00. On average, the 4th and 5th starters had an ERA of 4.99+. Lets remember that these were the 4 AL playoff teams as well. Compare the projected ERA's for the Sox top 5 starters, and they are very favorable. In fact, I think you can make the arguement that the Sox starters ERA's would be better. Can the Sox rotation pitch in big games? Thats a question that will be answered sooner rather then later(hopefully), but for now the Sox should worry about getting to the playoffs first.

Is Hernandez an injury risk? Of course, but as others have pointed out, when healthy he is a pretty solid starter and a drastic upgrade over the guys the Sox trotted out there as their 5th starter(even if he projects as the Sox #3 starter). The Sox also got a reasonable price on Hernandez(although 2 years guaranteed is a risk), and it might allow the Sox to improve other areas(see 2B and catcher). If the Sox would have given Perez, Clement, or Millwood the 7M+ that they wanted, than they probably wouldn't be able to improve the other areas. Furthermore, the Sox already have a large amount of the current payroll invested in the rotation next year and into the future(see Garcia, Buehrle, Contreras, and potentially Garland). Adding another big contract would inhibit their ability to improve other areas. I wouldn't have minded either Perez and Clement, but both come with risk as well. Millwood is a so-so pitcher to begin with who doesn't deserve the money that he will likely get.

Loaiza's contract was only 4M last year, so even if they kept him for the remainder of the season and let him walk it doesn't free up enough money to go after the top of the rotation starter that you wanted.

Personally, I like what KW has done this offseason, especially if he finishes it off with the signing of either AJ or the Japanese 2B(both would be even better). I have a lot more confidence in this years starting roster then last years, and I think this team has the potential to win 90+ games and make an honest run at the division.

hey willamtell its not a runmor. Did you read article on mlb site? His agent confirmed we made an offer. No one said that we would get him or not.

I'm just saying I'm tired of hearing about him coming, and then Williams saying he's not. Then now he's been offered a contract. Sure that's not a rumor, but it's just getting kind of old.

Seeing what we've had in past years for a rotation, how can we be anything but excited as hell with what we have now??? I really like the rotation right now. I think we match up really well with anyone (when healthy). Even if The Duke goes down for a while we can throw Hermanson out there (or even Grilli). That would still be a temporary fix until The Duke gets healthy. :headbang

I dislike AJ, but he's a good player. He brings a lot to the table with his stats and his intangibles.

I'd love to take the chance on Iguchi, but I'm confident Peapod will have an awesome year.

According to the catcher's agent, the White Sox have made an offer to A.J. Pierzynski.

Agent Steve Hilliard wouldn't say whether it was a one-year or a multiyear proposal. While the rotation is looking better, the White Sox do need to upgrade to Pierzynski behind the plate or Alex Cora at second base if they want to challenge the Twins. Dec. 30 - 8:09 pm et

I'll try to find as much stuff as I can on Pierzynski and his clubhouse issues as well.

if we sign iguchi and pierz that would be crazy.

i think our lineup would be:

1.Pods

2.Iguchi

3.Frank/Carl

4.PK

5.Dye

6.Rowand

7.Pierz

8.Uribe

9.Crede

That is ridiculous. With our pitching staff and depth off of the bench its even more rediculous.

I highly doubt we sign both even though I guess it is a possibility. I still doubt we even get one of them, I think we'll end up with Cora and call it an offseason and I wouldn't mind Alex either. You're right though if both were signed that would be one deep lineup.

Ok this is what I've found on A.J.

Still, he hasn't helped himself in San Francisco by getting on Jason Schmidt's bad side. Yorvit Torrealba is catching most of Schmidt's starts now.

"He's the cancer in here," one Giant, who requested anonymity, told the Oakland Tribune. "The pitchers aren't happy with him. If they can trade him, that would be fine with me. We all know Yorvie (Yorvit Torrealba) can catch this staff."

The latest incident reportedly occurred before Wednesday's game against the Atlanta Braves, when two players confirmed to the Tribune that Pierzynski ignored starting pitcher Brett Tomko's request to go over opposing hitters. Instead, the players said, Pierzynski resumed playing cards for another 20 minutes.

"I've never in all my years seen a catcher who didn't watch video before games," one pitcher told the newspaper. "He doesn't watch hitters -- other than the Twins games when they're on TV."

Also, according to two Giants players, the Padres' Phil Nevin said Pierzynski was criticizing Giants pitchers while Nevin was at the plate.

"That did it for me," one Giants pitcher told the Tribune. "If a pitching staff doesn't have the respect of their catcher, that's it. That's what it's all about.

"I can understand if you're a veteran who's been here six years, somebody like Benito (Santiago). That's one thing. You're entitled to do things your way. But when you're coming into a new situation, you're the one that has to earn respect. This is an established pitching staff."

Added another pitcher: "He's my catcher. I've got to work with the guy. But if they make a change, that would be fine by me."

"I was in there playing cards and Tomko said 'Come here,'" Pierzynski said. "I finished the hand and got up and walked in there with him. I apologize for that. It was wrong. I should have finished playing right there."

Old AJ became a non-tendered FA because the Giants said he was a clubhouse cancer. This from a team that endures Bonds and endured the Kent/Bonds years. That must mean old AJ really is an a**hole. If a team will tolerate Kent and Bonds, then cutting lose another player has to mean he was worse than reported.

AJ was fine in Minnesota because he had a manager that didn't put up with any s**t and guys like Koskie and Mankayvich (easier to spell this way) to keep the clubhouse in check. In SF, AJ didn't have that and his true colors showed.

FWIW I think A.J and his agent are still definitely waiting for a better offer out there from some team, probably the Dodgers. It all depends what happens with the Dioner Navarro situation though, and whether the D-Backs trade him to L.A in some sort of package for Shawn Green. There will be other teams out there looking at Pierzynski, but whether or not he wants to play for them or whether they can beat the White Sox's original offer, I just don't know, but I don't think they can.

if we sign iguchi and pierz that would be crazy.

i think our lineup would be:

1.Pods

2.Iguchi

3.Frank/Carl

4.PK

5.Dye

6.Rowand

7.Pierz

8.Uribe

9.Crede

That is ridiculous. With our pitching staff and depth off of the bench its even more rediculous.

HELL NO!

Pods

Uribe

Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

Dye

Pierz

Iguchi

Crede

thats better, until we know if igu-whatever is worth his salt

HELL NO!

Pods

Uribe

Rowand

Thomas

Konerko

Dye

Pierz

Iguchi

Crede

thats better, until we know if igu-whatever is worth his salt

I'd bat Iguci 2nd, at worst I still think he has a higher obp then Juan will have with good speed and while I don't know this for sure I'd assume he's a good bunter, most of the japanese players seemed to be schooled well on fundamentals.

I always thought Row pulled the ball too much to hit second but I may be wrong. I cannot stand AJ and hope he doesn't come here. Why didn't the Giants put up with him (just from reading the highlighted clips above)? 37 career homers iw why they put up with Kent and Bonds but not AJ. He didn't produce enough to overcome being a knucklehead.

AJ's Fldg stats: Caught Stealing %, Catcher's ERA

2001 110GP, .323, 4.50

2002 124GP, .297, 4.10

2003 135GP, .303, 4.15

2004 118GP, .227, 4.23

2004 is such a departure from his MIN days that I'm willing to accept that the SFG pitchers were more to blame that AJP.

Davis: Less than 1/2 the GP'd as AJ.

2002 .439, 3.99 SEA

2003 .347, 3.88 SEA

2004 .292, 5.21 CWS

Burke: Less than 70GP over 4 yrs.

2004 .421, 4.78

You know what you're getting in AJ, but the other two combined have played less than 1/2 the GP as AJ. You don't know what you'll get.