Iguchi Close to Signing with Sox?

beck72

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Any links to the Nen deal, haven;t heard ANYTHING about that, even on this board. Interesting.......

Yea, I'd like to see some links or something too. I'd be stoked if we signed Nen to a minor league deal.

Even more stoked if we walked away with all 3 baseball players.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
It was mention on KNBR 680 AM which is the flag station of the Giants it was mentioned yesterday that Nen might sign a minor league deal with the Whitesox or the Rockies...

Coors Field NL, or Coors Field AL?

Which team is going to be more competetive.

Money might also be an issue here, I'd try to top the Rox offer if it isn't too much.

Can't see us beating the Rockies with even if its a minor - league deal, the Rockies can offer Nen the chance to be the closer, I doubt we can do that. Of course who knows what's going to happen with him, but this is the first I've heard of the Sox being interested in him.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:00 AM)
It was mention on KNBR 680 AM which is the flag station of the Giants it was mentioned yesterday that Nen might sign a minor league deal with the Whitesox or the Rockies...

Holy crap, can you imagine our pen with a healthy Rob Nen at the back of it? That would allow Nen to close and Shingo to be used at anytime from the 5th-8th innings for key situations and hitters, much the same way Gordon got used while he was here.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:51 AM)
That's a statement about their perception of Willie at least as much as of Iguchi.  There aren't many warm bodies Willie would rank above if Rotoworld were making the lineup.

I still don't understand all the excitement over this guy, he still seems to be very much an unknown quantity (especially his fielding).

Everything that I've read about Iguchi says that he's pretty much a slick - fielding infielder. I think I read on a recent ESPN article though about Japanese players that he could struggle fielding on grass instead of artificial turf, but I could be wrong on that. Now I've found these snippets on the net about Iguchi;

1 - Iguchi's possible stats if he moved in 2004 (late 2003 piece):

All those numbers are relatively close, so we can infer a Japanese player’s batting average will take a .015 hit when coming to the Majors, they will hit about an equal number of doubles, 4% less home runs, .080 less walks, and 5% less strikeouts. Here are Matsui and Iguchi’s career Japanese stats, and their last 3 seasons:

Matsui career: .309H/AB, .058 2B/AB, .032HR/AB, .081BB/AB, .162K/AB

Matsui 3-year: .315H/AB, .064 2B/AB, .054HR/AB, .089BB/AB, .185K/AB

Iguchi career: .259H/AB, .047 2B/AB, .047HR/AB, .103BB/AB, .230K/AB

Iguchi 3-year: .288H/AB, .052 2B/AB, .050HR/AB, .113BB/AB, .189K/AB

So, after using those stats, and the Hideki-Ichiro conversion, I have these predictions for these players in 2004, given 600AB:

Matsui: .295, 31 doubles, 15HR, 24BB, 72K

Iguchi: .255, 24 doubles, 18HR, 45BB, 90K

Iguchi is an above-average second basemen, and can even play a decent shortstop. He has Gold Glove potential at the right side of the bag, and is merely average to the left. He has sensational speed, likely good for about 40-50SB. Tadahito will turn 29 in December, so a 3-year deal would be much smarter with him.

2 - Forum Thoughts;

I agree that he'll probably be another Taguchi, just because Iguchi has never hit for a high average here despite a ton of protection in the lineup, but let's not put Taguchi in the same sentence as Shinjo.

Iguchi had a 30-30 season in 2001, no small feat in a 140 game schedule, and hitting 30 homers with half of your games at spacious Fukuoka Dome is pretty impressive as well. Furthermore, Tadahito batted .261/.346/.475 in 2001; an OPS of 821, with 97 RBI and 44 SB. That's excellent production for a shortstop. For comparison, Derek Jeter of the New York Yankees produced an 858 OPS with 74 RBI and 27 SB that same season and Miguel Tejada of the Oakland A's had an 801 OPS with 113 RBI and 11 SB. Keep in mind that the Majors play 22 more games than NPB. Plus, Iguchi is a gold glove defender.

I'm not saying Iguchi will be Jeter or Tejada, but let's ease off the Taguchi comparisons.

If I were a major league team—especially a club with one of the above starting shortstops—I'd take a shot at Iguchi. His 2001 stats, his defense—he is an absolute wizard with the glove—and the potential publicity make the risk worthwhile.

Well from what I have read on BaseballGuru, Iguchi has turned into a completely different hitter this season. From what I have read, he is hitting off-speed pitches with authority back up the middle and to the opposite field now, whereas he was a dead red fastball-oriented pull hitter his first few years.

If I were a stats-focused organization -- like the A's, Blue Jays, or Red Sox, for example -- I'd be wary of Iguchi. A lot of organizations are more tools focused, however, and he's always had those. Also keep in mind that his last two healthy seasons (he had a shoulder injury in 2002 that was severe enough to require surgery) have been his best by far, although this year still represents a substantial improvement over 2001.

Also Iguchi's 2002 stats shoudln't really be taken into consideration as he was suffering from a shoulder injury for much of the year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:55 AM)
Any links to the Nen deal, haven;t heard ANYTHING about that, even on this board. Interesting.......

That's the first I've heard about it too. I really don't know how Nen would fit into our bullpen.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:16 AM)
That's the first I've heard about it too.  I really don't know how Nen would fit into our bullpen.

You'd have to think if he made the pen, one of Marte or Politte would most likely be traded.

Another aspect to consider with Iguchi is how will he handle hitting the two - seam fastball, as they don't pitch it in Japan. You saw how Hideki Matsui really struggled against it in his 1st season with the Yanks.

QUOTE(Winnin Ugly @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
Looks this is going to be a great week for the Whitesox  if they are close to signing Iguchi and it is being reported  here in San Fran that the  Sox are the huge  favorites to sign AJ..

It was also reported that the Whitesox might sign Rob Nen to a minor league deal

i had no idea the sox were "huge" favorites in getting AJ...but if so, :headbang

Wow, if kenny can get iguchi and AJ...what an offseason he will have had.

It's true that all this might not work in the end, but KW is doing his job and doing it well.

What is Iguchi's age? And how are his fielding #'s. They said back in 2001 that he was a wizard in the field, but that was 4 years ago. Even if he bats .265 has 20 steals, and 15-20 HR's thats a major upgrade over Willie. That also makes me think, if KW does some how bring home AJ and Iguchi what will our bench consist of?

Willie Harris INF, Ross Gload 1B/OF, Carl Everett DH/OF, Timo Perez OF, Alex Escobar OF, Ben Davis or Jaime Burke C, Wilson Valdez INF.

Now I know that is way more than the normal amount of bench players. I mean is Valdez really capable of backing up Crede and Uribe? Can Harris possibly play SS?

What do you guys think the bench will look like.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:30 AM)
What is Iguchi's age? And how are his fielding #'s. They said back in 2001 that he was a wizard in the field, but that was 4 years ago. Even if he bats .265 has 20 steals, and 15-20 HR's thats a major upgrade over Willie. That also makes me think, if KW does some how bring home AJ and Iguchi what will our bench consist of?

Willie Harris INF, Ross Gload 1B/OF, Carl Everett DH/OF, Timo Perez OF, Alex Escobar OF, Ben Davis or Jaime Burke C,  Wilson Valdez INF.

Now I know that is way more than the normal amount of bench players. I mean is Valdez really capable of backing up Crede and Uribe? Can Harris possibly play SS?

He'll be 31 next December. And he's more confortable at 2B than SS, so Valdez could still possibly have a role on the team, but that would be unlikely if they kept Willie around.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)

Willie Harris INF, Ross Gload 1B/OF, Carl Everett DH/OF, Timo Perez OF, Alex Escobar OF, Ben Davis or Jaime Burke C,  Wilson Valdez INF.

.265 and 20 steals is a "major upgrade" over Willie? I'll give it to you on the home runs. But those other stats hardly resemble a "major upgrade".

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
.265 and 20 steals is a "major upgrade" over Willie?  I'll give it to you on the home runs.  But those other stats hardly resemble a "major upgrade".

I think there'll be other stats where Iguchi will probably be a upgrade over Willie. He'll definitely have a better arm, and would be a better fielder. OBP wise, I'd think Iguchi's would be slightly higher. Even though the transition from Japan to America will be tough, Iguchi has hit in a pitcher's park in Japan for basically his whole career, he could really do some damage at the Cell if he adjusted quickly enough.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 5, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
I think there'll be other stats where Iguchi will probably be a upgrade over Willie. He'll definitely have a better arm, and would be a better fielder. OBP wise, I'd think Iguchi's would be slightly higher. Even though the transition from Japan to America will be tough, Iguchi has hit in a pitcher's park in Japan for basically his whole career, he could really do some damage at the Cell if he adjusted quickly enough.

I'm not arguing that Iguchi wouldn't be an upgrade over Willie. But based on those stats, he wouldn't be but a miniscule upgrade. Willie is pretty damn good fielder, so that is an unknown as to who would be better. Also, Iguchi's arm is in question since he had to move from SS to 2B due to an arm injury. I want Iguchi, as I think he could be a solid number two hitter based on what I've read. But putting stats 3 percentage points in batting average and 1 stolen base over Willie Harris and calling it a major upgrade just doesn't fly. It'll get called every time here at Soxtalk.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:44 AM)
I'm not arguing that Iguchi wouldn't be an upgrade over Willie.  But based on those stats, he wouldn't be but a miniscule upgrade.  Willie is pretty damn good fielder, so that is an unknown as to who would be better.  Also, Iguchi's arm is in question since he had to move from SS to 2B due to an arm injury.  I want Iguchi, as I think he could be a solid number two hitter based on what I've read.  But putting stats 3 percentage points in batting average and 1 stolen base over Willie Harris and calling it a major upgrade just doesn't fly.  It'll get called every  time here at Soxtalk.

If Willie was consistent enough in his hitting for the 2004 seasons, then we probably wouldn't be talking about having to upgrade for the infield. Hell, if we couldn't sign both Iguchi and A.J, because they were too expensive, why not look at Miguel Cairo instead, at least he can crush LHP which is basically what we need for a reserve infielder with the ability to play everyday.

All I'm saying is that .265 and 20 SB's are NOT a "major upgrade" over over Willie Harris. That's it. That's my only point. That seems pretty straight forward. I know Willie hit in the low .260's with 19 SB's. So there is no way that THAT is a major upgrade. What's to debate?

Williams and the Sox scouting people appear to believe Iguchi can be an impact player, a significant upgrade.

Looking at stats, it's tough to completely understand. Iguchi supposedly changed his batting stance two years ago and it had a major positive effect.

This whole situation falls strictly on the scouts and how effective they feel Iguchi would be in the major leagues. But I tell you, I would love to know what Sox management is thinking in terms of Willie Harris at this point.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 02:56 AM)
All I'm saying is that .265 and 20 SB's are NOT a "major upgrade" over over Willie Harris.  That's it.  That's my only point.  That seems pretty straight forward.  I know Willie hit in the low .260's with 19 SB's.  So there is no way that THAT is a major upgrade.  What's to debate?

You're right, that isn't going to be a major upgrade over Willie's stats, but who knows what type of numbers Iguchi will put up here in his 1st season if he is signed by the Sox. He has hit over .330 the last 2 seasons in Japan at a pitchers' park but he did only steal 18 bases in 2004, which could be a sign that he could be slowing down. And what's to say Willie wouldn't improve in 2005 if he was given consistent playing time again. With Tim Raines Jr. as the 1st base coach, the SB numbers would at least probably go up.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)
Williams and the Sox scouting people appear to believe Iguchi can be an impact player, a significant upgrade.

Looking at stats, it's tough to completely understand.  Iguchi supposedly changed his batting stance two years ago and it had a major positive effect.

This whole situation falls strictly on the scouts and how effective they feel Iguchi would be in the major leagues.  But I tell you, I would love to know what Sox management is thinking in terms of Willie Harris at this point.

In one of my earlier posts, I found a quote of how Iguchi did change his batting stance, and how he was hitting the ball down the middle and into the gaps a lot more instead of pulling fastballs which what he was doing previously I think.