Split from the Pyrz Thread

jackie hayes

Okay, wtf. Since I was young, I knew that "Jap" is a racist term. I point out that, maybe it was a simple mistake, so I'm not saying anything should be done in this case, but it should be stopped, just like we don't allow "chink", "dago", and "mick". That's all I said.

I just wanted that to be made clear, and I did not intend to hijack the thread. But so many so treasure their ability to use an offensive term, that I end up arguing constantly that "Jap" shouldn't be used. I can't believe this s***.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Okay, wtf.  Since I was young, I knew that "Jap" is a racist term.  I point out that, maybe it was a simple mistake, so I'm not saying anything should be done in this case, but it should be stopped, just like we don't allow "chink", "dago", and "mick".  That's all I said.

I just wanted that to be made clear, and I did not intend to hijack the thread.  But so many so treasure their ability to use an offensive term, that I end up arguing constantly that "Jap" shouldn't be used.  I can't believe this s***.

If you'd tell me why you were so much more offended by the use of the term Jap, and not offended by "trailer trash" to the point that you jumped all over it, I'll let it go.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
If you'd tell me why you were so much more offended by the use of the term Jap, and not offended by "trailer trash" to the point that you jumped all over it, I'll let it go.

What part of "I agree that 'trailer trash' is offensive" is not clear to you?

I already answered this. Lots of people in the thread already pointed out that "trailer trash" is offensive. I had nothing more to add to what they said. Those same people came up with rationalizations of "jap". I did have something to add here -- even though it may have been innocent enough in intention, it should not be acceptable to use. So I said that. Of course, I already posted this answer, so do you want to ask me a third time?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
What part of "I agree that 'trailer trash' is offensive" is not clear to you?

I already answered this.  Lots of people in the thread already pointed out that "trailer trash" is offensive.  I had nothing more to add to what they said.  Those same people came up with rationalizations of "jap".  I did have something to add here -- even though it may have been innocent enough in intention, it should not be acceptable to use.  So I said that.  Of course, I already posted this answer, so do you want to ask me a third time?

Ok... I'll give that. You did say "trailer trash" was offensive. Show me someone besides me or you that did. If you can, I'll STFU. If you can't, then I have a question for you.

QUOTE(raff @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:23 PM)
im all for ethnic slurs on a message board, as long as no one is offended. if someone is, they can post it and then it can be banned.

as far as catching the quote, good job dybber

This has the potential of turning ugly.

Personally, absolutely nothing (besides a direct, personal insult) posted on this website has the capability of offending me. Regardless, I understand the need to install some remnants of censorship.

Guys my comment last night was in no part to be taken wrongly. I shortorned it up and I have respect for all ethnic backrounds. Im sorry for those who were offending and im sorry I forgot the guys name 3 in morning.

Anyways hearing the news that whitesox being off by not alot at all. Whitesox will either take offer they made for iguchi and put more in aj or into someone else.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Ok... I'll give that.  You did say "trailer trash" was offensive.  Show me someone besides me or you that did.  If you can, I'll STFU.  If you can't, then I have a question for you.

My bad, I guess you were the only one who said something like that. I read through quickly, and I noticed that "trailer trash" had been answered. Still, I didn't have anything to add to your original post, so why should I simply parrot that? Meanwhile, lots of people did defend the use of "jap". They made it sound like an innocent shortening, as if all shortened versions of ethnic/national names are perfectly harmless. That's not true. ("s***", for example.) Some ("Brit", "Aussie") are fine, but we all know "s***" is not cool, and at least I know (apparently I'm the only one) that "jap" is offensive too. So I addressed that.

What are you really arguing here? I agreed with you immediately that "trailer trash" is offensive, after all. In another thread, you suggested that "jap" isn't offensive. If that's your point, why not state that?

i cant believe how ass hurt some of you guys get on this board... its an internet message board... calm down, its not like your wife is leaving you... its not like your girlfriend is f***ing your best friend of a horse.... someone, somewhere, dosent agree with you... leave it at that...

or continue to get all but hurt and cry..cry..cry all the way back home to momma so you can get some more milk and chill the f*** out.

something like that

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
My bad, I guess you were the only one who said something like that.  I read through quickly, and I noticed that "trailer trash" had been answered.  Still, I didn't have anything to add to your original post, so why should I simply parrot that?  Meanwhile, lots of people did defend the use of "jap".  They made it sound like an innocent shortening, as if all shortened versions of ethnic/national names are perfectly harmless.  That's not true.  ("s***", for example.)  Some ("Brit", "Aussie") are fine, but we all know "s***" is not cool, and at least I know (apparently I'm the only one) that "jap" is offensive too.  So I addressed that.

What are you really arguing here?  I agreed with you immediately that "trailer trash" is offensive, after all.  In another thread, you suggested that "jap" isn't offensive.  If that's your point, why not state that?

I said I'd either STFU or ask you a question ... Here's my question ..... and this will get to the nitty gritty of what I'm driving at. What do you think of when you think of "trailer trash" ? ... and give me the works ... race, religion, etc. Bear with me here.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 06:47 PM)
I said I'd either STFU or ask you a question ... Here's my question ..... and this will get to the nitty gritty of what I'm driving at. What do you think of when you think of "trailer trash" ? ... and give me the works ... race, religion, etc.  Bear with me here.

You're pretty sure I'm prejudiced, aren't you? You ask a leading question -- if I say what the term means, you'll say 'Look how bigoted you are', even though it's not my point of view. If I say that I know people in trailer parks are heterogeneous, you'll say that I'm not answering your question.

I'm not going to play 20 f***ing questions in your effort to prove me a bigot. Either put up evidence or shut up. I know what's meant by the term, and I know it's wrong, and all I've done is agree with you that it shouldn't be used.

Meanwhile, you go and say that "jap" isn't really offensive. Since that's the only disagreement, how about that being the discussion?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
Guys, I haven't read enough of this thread to know whats going on, but lets get over it.  Cut the personal argument out and talk about the players.

I give up. Everyone go wild w/ "s***" and "jap" and "dago". But I can't believe that an argument over a racist word like "jap" is considered merely "personal".

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:13 PM)
You're pretty sure I'm prejudiced, aren't you?  You ask a leading question -- if I say what the term means, you'll say 'Look how bigoted you are', even though it's not my point of view.  If I say that I know people in trailer parks are heterogeneous, you'll say that I'm not answering your question.

I'm not going to play 20 f***ing questions in your effort to prove me a bigot.  Either put up evidence or shut up.  I know what's meant by the term, and I know it's wrong, and all I've done is agree with you that it shouldn't be used.

Meanwhile, you go and say that "jap" isn't really offensive.  Since that's the only disagreement, how about that being the discussion?

I'm not going to turn your words back on you. In fact, I'll give the stereotypical image of trailer trash. It generally means poor, white ... usually Christian ... people. I can accept your point that "Jap" can be considered offensive. I can also see where it can be used in a non-offensive manner.

Here's the crux of my entire arguement. Anytime someone uses anything that can be considered offensive to any race other than white Anglo-Saxons people generally get all up in arms about it. Yet, when a term such as trailer trash gets used, which is stereotypically discriminatory towards white ... maybe southern ... poor people, nobody says s*** about it. As proven by the fact that I was the only one to call it as it is until you had to concede the point to make yours. I just get tired of people overlooking obvious discriminatation unless it's against a minority or foreigner in this country. Hell .... people are more tolerant of discrimination against ... 1. Whites ... 2. Christians .... 3. Southerners ... than any other race, creed, sexual preference or whatever. The fact that you jumped on the "jap" thing and not the "trailer trash" thing reinforces my point.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 6, 2005 -> 01:34 PM)
wow lock this thread asap and throw it away.... its amazing how only a couple people ruin good threads all i have to say is  :canada

The way I see it, this is a discussion and not a battle. Just saying.