Jimmy Rollins to the Sox?

Cubs Suck23

I wouldn't doubt it, KW was after him I think last year there were talk about swapping him for Valentin (or was that supposedly the trade for Itzuris from LA?). I am sure KW has had talks with the Phillies about him, he has speed, decent avg exactly what KW is looking for. If it could be done KW will do it but he also has to agree with the players he's giving away.

This gives the sox more options, Uribe at 2nd with Harris as his backup not a bad idea. I am not too familiar with Rollins just that he has speed and is decent defensively a lot of people here wouldn't mind acquiring him but theres a handfull that won't. How much is he making?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it that we jump on these rumors like this. It seems that every MLB team wityh a 2Bman is now trying to trade that player to the Sox. It is all rumors started by some columnist who wants to tell his readers what HE thinks might happen and not much of it has any real truth. I don't know what Jimmy Rollins is making this year, but I am certain it is much more than Willie Harris. I don't think the Sox have any more money to spend or use to pick up salary. KW has said that Willie plays 2B in '05 for the Sox. I think the line up is set as is. We have made several moves to plug what were called holes. I think we gave up too much with Carlos Lee being traded, but I kind of like the other moves. Let's get a grip on ourselves with these trade rumors and possible moves, etc. Who would we have to trade anyway? Strip our farm system again? We need to keep our prospects beasue if we don't win in '05 I can see a number of established players gone and we will be in a youth movement.

I think its more most writers know Kenny is agressive. They know the Sox may have a little money out there and that they still would like to improve the team up the middle.

Because of that anytime a middle infielder becomes available the Sox name will appear. First off Kenny should at the very least contact them just as a flier to see what they want. Any GM would, evne if they weren't interested.

I highly doubt there is anything to this. I think the Sox will make a monster trade this year, but not during the offseason. I speculate that they will get Iguchi and if this team plays like I think it can, they will be looking to put themselves over the top for world series play around the deadline and should still have 4 mill or so within there means.

When that time comes, I could easily see them giving up two of their top 3 prospects and more for a guy like Ben Sheets or a stud hitter, depending on the teams needs. They'd gamble, but I'm thinking the Sox come close to 2.5 mill this year.

Call me crazy, but right now I'm falling in love with this team.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Why is it that we jump on these rumors like this. It seems that every MLB team wityh a 2Bman is now trying to trade that player to the Sox. It is all rumors started by some columnist who wants to tell his readers what HE thinks might happen and not much of it has any real truth. I don't know what Jimmy Rollins is making this year, but I am certain it is much more than Willie Harris. I don't think the Sox have any more money to spend or use to pick up salary. KW has said that Willie plays 2B in '05 for the Sox. I think the line up is set as is. We have made several moves to plug what were called holes. I think we gave up too much with Carlos Lee being traded, but I kind of like the other moves. Let's get a grip on ourselves with these trade rumors and possible moves, etc. Who would we have to trade anyway? Strip our farm system again? We need to keep our prospects beasue if we don't win in '05 I can see a number of established players gone and we will be in a youth movement.

I think the reason everyone is talking about this so much is because well....there isn't much else to talk about. Also I completely disagree with you about if we dont win in 05 we're going to be in a youth movement. We have all 5 starters locked up past this year with Bmac on the way, with that kind of starting pitching you'll have a shot to contend, imo.

QUOTE(raff @ Jan 9, 2005 -> 11:56 PM)
i would trade myself to phili, they have good steak sandwiches.

I've been to Philly and if you haven't tried their Philly cheese steaks you are seriously missing out. I went about 3-4 years ago and I can still take that PCS in my mouth. :) :headbang

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 12:01 AM)
I've been to Philly and if you haven't tried their Philly cheese steaks you are seriously missing out. I went about 3-4 years ago and I can still take that PCS in my mouth. :)  :headbang

but then you'd miss out on chicago style pizza :P

Ed Wade is in a difficult situation right here. He'd rather move Polanco, but would probably have to pay possibly some of his contract to get a deal done, and the return probably wouldn't be as good as if he traded Rollins. If he could move David Bell instead, then Polanco could even slide over to third base, but that ain't gonna happen. Rollins is now expendable though because of the acquisition of Kenny Lofton as a leadoff hitter, negating Rollins main value in the lineup.

With the Sox being mentioned w/ Durham and now Rollins, the sox seem to be sending out feelers for the trade market for a 2b or SS. Any team with a match like these players [good speed, good bats, top of the order types] could then propose a trade to the sox.

Rollins isn't likely to be moved. They don't have a SS to replace him, and Rollins isn't that expensive. Yet the sox inquiring about him makes some headlines, gets the sox name mentioned as possible trade partners.

Another reason is w/ these names floating about, it makes the sox look like they're all over the map, looking for anyone and everyone for the middle IF. KW's moves show he's smarter than that, that he does have a plan.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:06 AM)
With the Sox being mentioned w/ Durham and now Rollins, the sox seem to be sending out feelers for the trade market for a 2b or SS. Any team with a match like these players [good speed, good bats, top of the order types] could then propose a trade to the sox.

Rollins isn't likely to be moved. They don't have a SS to replace him, and Rollins isn't that expensive. Yet the sox inquiring about him makes some headlines, gets the sox name mentioned as possible trade partners.

Another reason is w/ these names floating about, it makes the sox look like they're all over the map, looking for anyone and everyone for the middle IF. KW's moves show he's smarter than that, that he does have a plan.

Polanco would be the everyday SS, while you'd have Chase Utley at 2B and David Bell at third base, but Placido is more comfortable at second by all reports. I've heard Rollins is fairly inconsistent as well, don't know if stats would prove this, but it probably wouldn't endear him to Ozzie ALA 1 Willie Harris.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 02:11 PM)
Polanco would be the everyday SS, while you'd have Chase Utley at 2B and David Bell at third base, but Placido is more comfortable at second by all reports. I've heard Rollins is fairly inconsistent as well, don't know if stats would prove this, but it probably wouldn't endear him to Ozzie ALA 1 Willie Harris.

I don't know how well he plays SS, but it is Polanco's 3rd best position. Rollins has just come around, having been a little inconsistent in the past [hitting and defense wise.

Getting rid of a young improving player like Rollins for a salary dump, when a bench player like Polanco could be moved [along with a little salary] makes more sense.

My point is having the sox names in all these rumors for a middle IF makes the sox look a little foolish, like they're reaching for a guy. Unless they want their names out there for a reason.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:17 AM)
I don't know how well he plays SS, but it is Polanco's 3rd best position. Rollins has just come around, having been a little inconsistent in the past [hitting and defense wise.

Getting rid of a young improving player like Rollins for a salary dump, when a bench player like Polanco could be moved [along with a little salary] makes more sense.

My point is having the sox names in all these rumors for a middle IF makes the sox look a little foolish, like they're reaching for a guy. Unless they want their names out there for a reason.

I think it's quite obvious that with each new trade rumor that involves the Sox and a middle infielder, that Wille Harris won't be on this ballclub this season, which I guess isn't going to suprise many people around here. But some team could definitely use a cheap second baseman like him who can leadoff.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
I think it's quite obvious that with each new trade rumor that involves the Sox and a middle infielder, that Wille Harris won't be on this ballclub this season, which I guess isn't going to suprise many people around here. But some team could definitely use a cheap second baseman like him who can leadoff.

The 2b situation is playing out like Carlos Lee deal, only it's a little reversed. Instead of shopping a LFer w/ a big bat, the sox are shopping for a middle IFer who has speed, can be a #2 type hitter. It's only a matter of when, not if a middle IFer will be brought in

Rollins vs Milwood, Sabathia : 750, 1500

Rollins vs Moroth, Johnson: 286, 237

Rollins vs Santana, Radke: 500, 000

Grant it he only had a few ab's against all but Milwood but he certainly didn't make the most of them. There's a greatly probability they will dominate him than he'll succeed. No to Rollins.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 10, 2005 -> 07:09 PM)
Rollins vs Milwood, Sabathia : 750, 1500

Rollins vs Moroth, Johnson:    286, 237

Rollins vs Santana, Radke:    500, 000

Grant it he only had a few ab's against all but Milwood but he certainly didn't make the most of them.  There's a greatly probability they will dominate him than he'll succeed.  No to Rollins.

You look into stats way to much. Because Rollins hasn't done well against certain pitchers that he hasn't faced that much you don't want him on the team, just ridiculous imo.

You look into stats way to much.  Because Rollins hasn't done well against certain pitchers that he hasn't faced that much you don't want him on the team, just ridiculous imo.

No it's not. You don't look at stats close enough. Why has the CWS lost the div 3 yrs in a row? Because the top 6 ALC pitchers have shut them down. They own winning records vs the CWS. Anybody can hit the weaker pitching but can you hit the best pitching of your rivals? Those are the guys you need to win. Period.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jan 11, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
No it's not.  You don't look at stats close enough.  Why has the CWS lost the div 3 yrs in a row?  Because the top 6 ALC pitchers have shut them down.  They own winning records vs the CWS. Anybody can hit the weaker pitching but can you hit the best pitching of your rivals?  Those are the guys you need to win.  Period.

The Sox have fared poorly against journeymen, and unknown rookie pitchers as well. The sox inability to score runs off mediocre pitching has been more of a problem than them facing the toughest P's. Two huge problems the last two yrs: The sox couldn't beat Det. in 2003, and had a losing record on the road in 04. Each had nothing to do with the top 6 ALC P's.

Well I've had a chance to look at the win share report & saw Rollins as a leader in that dept for the Phillies. Since he made shy of 3M in 04, I like this option very much.

Rollins at SS, Uribe at 2B, Harris on the bench. But again I have to ask why would the Phillies want to trade him? He was a top 3 contributor for them in 04.

Rollins is very inconsistant. Don't let his numbers fool you. Juggernaut is looking at the right stats. When you look at the right stats, that's not looking too deeply in them, that's just trying to find the right matchups. We're trying to win the division and you have to start by getting players who fare well against the opponents in that division. I don't know if Rollins is that. He sucked at the beginning of last year, turned it on in late June, had a crappy August, and came back strong in September. His glove is great, but I say no because he'll cost alot.