*Official* 2005 Soxfest Thread

Mr. Showtime

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
He was white as a ghost when he opened the door. I thought he was going to pass out on us.  :lol:

:lolhitting I was shocked when I came back up from downstairs and saw him drinking something. I was like how the hell did he pull that one off, lol. Then the next time I'm up Brian tells me they got the boot.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
:lolhitting I was shocked when I came back up from downstairs and saw him drinking something.  I was like how the hell did he pull that one off, lol.  Then the next time I'm up Brian tells me they got the boot.

All that waitress saw was $$ and her tip increasing as our tab was teetering on $600.. :ph34r:

I never saw either of the 2 checking ID's.. and they weren't the only underage folks in there...

That's awesome :snr

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 12:40 PM)
And then the real fun started  :lol: .  Steff comes up and tells us to come down to the bar.  Now, if you've never seen me, I can barely pass for 15 (I'm actually 16), and your supposed to be 21 to get into the bar.  Me, Brian, and Steve ran right by the security guard "patrolling" the entrance.  By the time we were there, Harris couldn't see straight, and Rowand's eyes were glazed over.  Jason, our wonderful site administrator, was obviously a little tipsy, and urging me to drink anything I could get ahold of.  So, I had a beer (couldn't even take down half of a 24 ouncer) -- as well as many others offering sips of their drinks.  I think my mom would have been glad to know what I was doing Saturday night.  So, while drinking this beer, there's a security guard right behind me (and like I said, it's totally obvious I'm not even close to 21).  Security guard taps me on the shoulder, and I play the dumb game ("I didn't know that you're supposed to be 21").  Steve comes with me, and we get back to the room, and I'm freaking out.  Someone knocks on the door and yells "Security", and I'm scared s***less, only to see Steff and Brian laughing at the door.

All in all, though, it really was one of the best times of my life.  Saturday night was such an awesome time.  I cannot wait until next year.

So i'm alive despite Steff's attempt to kill me (to be fair, there were others involved with this effort as well)...

Soxfest was an absolute blast. I thought the seminars were pretty cool, but the best part was just hanging out with everyone on this board. This board has some great personalities on it, and i enjoyed spending the weekend with all of them. I wish we could do this type of thing more often. To anyone that has any doubt about going to soxfest and/or meeting some people on this board...don't hesitate.

As Mike (SS2k5) said, there was a little bit of drinking involved as well. Soxtalk runs up a hefty bar tab over a two night period while holding down the bar. And while i may have been "sleeping" until 6 on saturday, i still made the KW and Ozzie seminar (most of it...) and i made dinner a bit late and received a nice ovation. However, at least i didn't spill half a drink on myself at the bar. That honor would go to the one and only Jason. That same night (Saturday), some of us had an epic breakfast at 4am while jamming into a Civic.

Getting Keith and Steve into the bar was sweet, i told them nothing would happen (and by nothing i meant the worst that would happen is they'd just get told to leave) and i protected their drinks when security was around. The faking the "security" bit on Keith was just priceless.

Only thing that sucked about the weekend was that same jacket that Steve and Keith bought on Saturday for $50 went for $75 on Sunday. They wouldn't stop laughing about this.

One final note, i am not "Steff's man", no matter what Carl Everett says.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
However, at least i didn't spill half a drink on myself at the bar. That honor would go to the one and only Jason.  That same night (Saturday), some of us had an epic breakfast at 4am while jamming into a Civic.

What made it worse was it was the first drink of the night. :lolhitting

I don't think I spilled any drinks, which certainly helped explain my condition. :drink

I didn't buy anything memorabilia wise. I do have a soxfest map with Rowand, Pierzynski, Everett, Cora, and Melton's autographs on it. Bill wrote Happy Birthday to my dad on it. I must have mentioned I was going to give it to him as a birthday present.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 04:28 PM)
So i'm alive despite Steff's attempt to kill me (to be fair, there were others involved with this effort as well)...

As Mike (SS2k5) said, there was a little bit of drinking involved as well. Soxtalk runs up a hefty bar tab over a two night period while holding down the bar. And while i may have been "sleeping" until 6 on saturday, i still made the KW and Ozzie seminar (most of it...) and i made dinner a bit late and received a nice ovation. However, at least i didn't spill half a drink on myself at the bar. That honor would go to the one and only Jason.  That same night (Saturday), some of us had an epic breakfast at 4am while jamming into a Civic.

One final note, i am not "Steff's man", no matter what Carl Everett says.

Oh please.. not one person forced those 7 36oz beers down your thoat!! :P

The bar tab for the weekend.... a mere $1,061. :cheers

I totally forgot about the LL Ice Tea getting Gaged!!! Although.. I should shut up before the "headband" gets mentioned... :ph34r:

And I concur with Brian that Carl is wrong when he says Brian is "my man"... my man can hold his booze... :lolhitting ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 05:21 PM)
The bar tab for the weekend.... a mere $1,061.  :cheers

Yeesh steff, what the hell were you guys doing? :lol:

EDIT: I really wish I would have met up with you guys, I could have put a couple more things on your tab, steff :P

Something i need to add.

me and brian (illinikrush) got our pictures taken w/ hawk right after each other.

So on my digital camera if you look at one of the pics and switch to look at the next, it seriously looks like we just magically teleported bodies because the backdrop is exactly the same, as is hawk's posture/expression.

Pure hilariousness

QUOTE(Soxnbears01 @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
Something i need to add.

me and brian (illinikrush) got our pictures taken w/ hawk right after each other.

So on my digital camera if you look at one of the pics and switch to look at the next, it seriously looks like we just magically teleported bodies because the backdrop is exactly the same, as is hawk's posture/expression.

Pure hilariousness

Yeah, it's quite odd.

Hi there,

I am new to this board, but I was reading the last few posts. I too was at Sox Fest and in the bar, I'm of age :P The guys that were in there were totally nice the entire time. I was able to talk to Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand. Aaron was hilarious! He is a total ham! I was very impressed for I have an 11 year old daughter that was eager to meet anyone she could. Joe signed her hat for her, and one of the ladies saw me pointing out Aaron to her. We started to walk away and she called to me to bring her up the stairs where he was. He signed her hat and gave her a big hug and introduced her to the people around him. I was very impressed. Scott Posednik came into the lobby and was signing for everyone whatever they had. Willie Harris was a bit hammered, but he too was signing and talking to people. Carl Everett was there Friday and Saturday and was very socialable also. They even remembered us the next day when we saw them. This was an awesome weekend. It was really all about us, the fans. There is much more I have to tell, but I thought I'd share a little!

QUOTE(chisoxgrl @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 08:25 PM)
Hi there,

I am new to this board, but I was reading the last few posts. I too was at Sox Fest and in the bar, I'm of age  :P The guys that were in there were totally nice the entire time. I was able to talk to Joe Crede and Aaron Rowand. Aaron was hilarious! He is a total ham! I was very impressed for I have an 11 year old daughter that was eager to meet anyone she could. Joe signed her hat for her, and one of the ladies saw me pointing out Aaron to her. We started to walk away and she called to me to bring her up the stairs where he was. He signed her hat and gave her a big hug and introduced her to the people around him. I was very impressed. Scott Posednik came into the lobby and was signing for everyone whatever they had. Willie Harris was a bit hammered, but he too was signing and talking to people. Carl Everett was there Friday and Saturday and was very socialable also. They even remembered us the next day when we saw them. This was an awesome weekend. It was really all about us, the fans. There is much more I have to tell, but I thought I'd share a little!

Nice story. Welcome to the board! :cheers

QUOTE(whitesoxwilkes @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 09:06 PM)
I never post here, but just wanted to say Jason, Mark and Brian...great meeting you all!

Mike and Steff, pleasure as always.

My ass is still creased from sitting on the doorhandle of my poor little car.

:cheers

-Wilkes

Addendum: damn my member number is low!

Ilk, a pleasure to see both you and yours as usual. And a Lou's meeting is definately on deck.

Here is the post from my blog on Soxfest.

http://boringtheworld.blogspot.com/2005/01...005-review.html

Soxfest 2005 Review

This was my favorite Soxfest ever. Met a lot of new people, and hung out with a lot of good friends. From beginning to end it was a great time.

Now for some observations

1. Carl Everett is one cool dude. The reputation this guy carries around is total and 100% BS. He was outgoing and accomidating to the fans, even going out of his way to talk to every single person in his autograph lines. Funny story... Carl had just finished signing for me. Now the girl in line behind me has 5 different color splotches in her hair. Carl looked at her and said

"They told me not to sign for the girl with pink and purple in her hair."

Her eyes get really big and tears well up as she said,

"Really?"

In total disbelief.

Carl instantly responded

"No"

As he grabbed her ball and signed it.

Another note on Carl, he looks great. He has lost a lot of weight and was "embarassed" at how he ended up last year. 30-100 isn't out of the question IMO.

2. Kenny Williams has grown up a ton as a GM since he took over in 2001. He made sure to go out of his way to praise Magglio Ordonez, and remind an SRO crowd of people of the contributions that he made during his time on the southside of Chicago, when asked what happened between the Sox and Maggs. He also refused to jump into the negative side of it.

3. Brooks Boyer is a marketing genius. He gets "it" when it comes to selling the Sox. He is working his ass off, and is willing to get help from everyone he possibly can to sell the White Sox. The guy interacts with fans incredibly well, and makes people feel like they are the only people in the room.

4. I think Ken Harrelson is getting alzheimer's disease. Every time he gave a seminar this weekend, he kept repeating the same points over and over and over again. I was ready to kill him if he mentioned how both the Yankees and White Sox hit 242 home runs and didn't win the World Series.

5. Willie Harris is done as a southsider. When both your manager and team spokesperson/longtime announcer trash you while you are sitting on stage, you are on your way out the door. Apparently he can't steal, can't bunt, can't be consistant, and that is just from the people in his organization... Willie should have just stayed home this weekend.

6. Ozzie Guillen Jr. was fasicinating to listen to. Having grown up in the clubhouses of the teams I grew up watching, it was incredible to hear his stories about some of the players and teams I idolized. It was also awesome to hear him describe the Marlins clubhouse as they rallied to beat the Cubs a couple of years back.

7. Aaron Rowand never misses a chance to mention that his wife was a gymnist in college.

8. Ross Gload will sleep on his couch for the rest of his life after describing the way his wife and him hooked up.

"I knew a lot of my teammates had been out with her, and I wanted to find out what I was missing"

9. Ozzie Guillen still has a lot to learn about diplomacy. He delivers some great one liners, but left fans an easy and tantilizing bit of dirt on Carlos Lee that would have been better served not being said. But that is this is Ozzie, and I doubt he will ever change.

10. Penises on someone elses head are very funny. Asking someone to take a picture of yourself with penises on your head is knockdown, drag out funny.

11. Knocking on the door of kids who are drinking at unde age 21, while yelling "Security!" is very funny, and should be tried by all.

12. 7 people do not fit in a Civic, or so I am told.

13. Some people can arrange for fireworks shows, even when it is below zero outside.

14. We got some great deals on Sox merchandise over the weekend. I finally got my road gray jacket. It started at $125 last year, and I bought it for $50.

15. The White Sox pride bracelet fad, and the fad in general, is insane. They must have printed 10,000 of those things.

16. Best wishes and speedy recovery to Jerry Reinsdorf. Even after looking good over the weekend, he ended up having an angioplasty on Sunday.

17. The Big Bar = Big Tabs.

18. Neal Cotts-Freddy Garcia=not a very big autograph line. Garcia had visa problems and couldn't make it to the fest, so Neal Cotts signed alone. Neal's line was literally half of one coral row, while the AJ Pierz/Scott Pod line was about 15 rows.

19. AJ Pierz is going to be a huge fan favorite in Chicago. He has long term connections to the Sox through Ken Harrelson, and big financial motivation to keep his nose clean. He is a guy who loves to win, and will do whatever it takes to make that happen.

20. Tadahito Iguchi to the Sox could very well happen. Kenny Williams didn't deny that something could be in the works, even referring to his under the radar cover story.

21. The White Sox fans treatment of Shingo Takatsu has been heard all of the way back to Japan. Japanese players and fans alike are in awe of the reception that Shingo gets everytime he comes into a game and/or makes a save. This could give the Sox some inroads towards much bigger players.

22. Paul Konerko really wants to stay in Chicago, and is willing to give a hometown discount to stay here.

23. Jermaine Dye's new number. Which as a huge Robin Ventura fan saddens me.

24. Frank Thomas is working his ass off, but probably won't be ready to start the regular season with the Sox. Speedy recover big man!

Well that's all for now. More thoughts if I remember more stuff....

QUOTE(whitesoxwilkes @ Jan 17, 2005 -> 07:06 PM)
I never post here, but just wanted to say Jason, Mark and Brian...great meeting you all!

Mike and Steff, pleasure as always.

My ass is still creased from sitting on the doorhandle of my poor little car.

:cheers

-Wilkes

Addendum: damn my member number is low!

Hey Wilkes

It was great meeting you do. The whole weekend was a real blast :headbang