Harris: 'I'm not ruling myself out'

greasywheels121

From everything I've heard, he's still got a s***ty attitude.

He may say the right things to the press, but if he's walking around the clubhouse with a snickerpuss and a lousy attitude, he's won't benefit this club at all.

I would like to request permission to use the term "snickerpuss"

Permission granted. :lol: :D

Jeez, I'm sounding more like my mother everyday. :nono

But, I often get the impression that Willie acts like a four-year-old, so I found the term to be awfully fitting.

QUOTE:

Although Harris doesn't wish any ill will to his teammates, a slow start from Joe Crede, who hit .239 in 2004, could temporarily move Juan Uribe to third, Iguchi to shortstop and Harris back to his familiar infield slot.

That is the most important part of this article. If the Sox see Iguchi as depth for Uribe at SS then the need for a UIF is greatly diminished. Crede is a Boras player so if Iggy is capable of playing SS, the 2006 Sox might be Uribe at 3B, Iggy as SS, Harris at 2B.

Then again if I can get Farns for him I would probably make the trade.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Id rather stab myself in the eye 1million times than keep Timo Perez over Harris.

If Harris is moved before Timo, than it is a personal decision, not a statistical one.

I dont think Harris will be moved as fast as many seem to think, KW's statements recently seem to be suggesting that they want Harris to step things up and make the team.

Also, we arent going to get a utility infielder even close to Harris's quality, and that is considering he doesnt play 3b or SS.

SB

Timo = clutch

Willie = not

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:54 PM)
I hope every guy on the bench thinks he should be starting and busts his ass to prove it. Guys that "understand" their role as backups and benchmates are losers.

There's a difference to not having confidence to be able to play the position every day and wanting to win bad enough that you are willing to make personal sacrifices for the team.

QUOTE:

Although Harris doesn't wish any ill will to his teammates, a slow start from Joe Crede, who hit .239 in 2004, could temporarily move Juan Uribe to third, Iguchi to shortstop and Harris back to his familiar infield slot.

That is the most important part of this article.  If the Sox see Iguchi as depth for Uribe at SS then the need for a UIF is greatly diminished.  Crede is a Boras player so if Iggy is capable of playing SS, the 2006 Sox might be Uribe at 3B, Iggy as SS, Harris at 2B.

Then again if I can get Farns for him I would probably make the trade.

This is a White Sox writer blowing smoke up everybody's rear end. A week ago they had an article on middle IF's saying Harris would be the guy. Similarly, the catching article. Nothing against this writer but it's his job to talk up the players they have.

As for the 2006 scenario, zero chance of that. Not trying to be blunt or anything, but that will not happen. Iguchi is here to be the 2B, not sure why people are trying to shoehorn Harris onto this team.

KW himself said a priority is finding a backup whose primary position is SS. That is not Iguchi, nor is it Harris. Guillen says he needs a right handed bat for the bench. I do not get why all this is so hard to understand. It's not about finding a place for Willie Harris, it's about what the team needs. I do not have a personal beef with WH, thought he was "ok", nothing more or less. I don't see what others see in him, that's fine, everybody has an opinion.

But when you have the GM bring in a new 2B, and also state a priority is bringing in a backup whose primary position is SS ... and you have the mgr. saying he needs a right handed hitter off the bench ... it's obvious to me.

I hope every guy on the bench thinks he should be starting and busts his ass to prove it. Guys that "understand" their role as backups and benchmates are losers.

Generalization, big time.

Players need to know, learn, and accept their roles. Nothing wrong with aspiring to be more. But understanding your limitations on a baseball team, and hence your role, does not a loser make.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 07:13 PM)
Ugh, this argument needs to just go away.

Well, no...

People want to bash Harris into oblivion, and then go around and praise the cute Timo Perez.

I agree with Badger 100% -- if Harris is cut loose from this team because Perez is taking his spot, it's a real s***ty decision by management.

Clutch is a word thrown around far too often, BTW. Too fluctuating, and not enough sample size to really judge anyone in 'clutch' situations...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 01:15 PM)
Well, no...

People want to bash Harris into oblivion, and then go around and praise the cute Timo Perez.

I agree with Badger 100% -- if Harris is cut loose from this team because Perez is taking his spot, it's a real s***ty decision by management.

Clutch is a word thrown around far too often, BTW.  Too fluctuating, and not enough sample size to really judge anyone in 'clutch' situations...

Keith, I'm done arguing this, you got your opinion, I have mine, agree to disagree here. :cheers

i hope he desides to stay on the team he is a very good player and evan if he does not start at the beginning of the year it would be nice to have him in case this new guy is not good we really need them both we would be alot better then last year if we have the both

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Generalization, big time.

Players need to know, learn, and accept their roles.  Nothing wrong with aspiring to be more.  But understanding your limitations on a baseball team, and hence your role, does not a loser make.

Is the role to sit on the bench and wave a pennant or push the guy in front of him? What limitations do you want them to accept? Hitting for average? Fielding? Baserunning?

Is the role to sit on the bench and wave a pennant or push the guy in front of him? What  limitations do you want them to accept? Hitting for average? Fielding? Baserunning?

Tex, either they're good enough to be a regular or they're not. Not necessarily their fault if they're not. But if someone is brought in to be the #1 guy and you're told you're a reserve, play hard and compete but accept your role. There's a fine line we're talking about here. Doesn't sound like Harris gets it, just my opinion.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Tex, either they're good enough to be a regular or they're not.  Not necessarily their fault if they're not.  But if someone is brought in to be the #1 guy and you're told you're a reserve, play hard and compete but accept your role.  There's a fine line we're talking about here.  Doesn't sound like Harris gets it, just my opinion.

It is a fine line and it can be drawn in different places depending on the player.

Players decline, players improve. The only way a guy will become a starter is if he thinks he should be a starter. If Harris, at his age, accepts that he is #2 to a guy who has never played game 1 in the MLB, then Harris is not a competitor. Harris is not some 35 year old veteran, easing into retirement. He's building his career, and just handing over a starting job without a fight is accepting defeat and not IMHO a winners attitude.

And I will repeat, the role of a reserve is to push the starter so everyone gets better.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
It is a fine line and it can be drawn in different places depending on the player.

Players decline, players improve. The only way a guy will become a starter is if he thinks he should be a starter. If Harris, at his age, accepts that he is #2 to a guy who has never played game 1 in the MLB, then Harris is not a competitor. Harris is not some 35 year old veteran, easing into retirement. He's building his career, and just handing over a starting job without a fight is accepting defeat and not IMHO a winners attitude.

And I will repeat, the role of a reserve is to push the starter so everyone gets better.

Good post

And I will repeat, some guys have it and some guys don't in terms of being a long term major league starter. Sometimes age has nothing to do with it.

By the way, a winner's attitude entails someone who will do anything to help his team win, up to and including placing his own personal goals secondary to the team and accepting the role assigned to him. Maybe not in certain fans eyes, but in managements eyes he failed in his role as the starting 2B. I happen to agree with Sox management, and I also feel he will not make a good reserve player.

Let's face it, all the Harris fans on this board will talk about how he was maligned by Guillen, he deserves another chance, etc. etc.

This guy does not fit as a reserve player for the White Sox, no matter how people try to shoehorn him on the team. IMO, Sox management has spoken. Disagree, that's fine.

I've read all the post here on the subject of Willie Harris & I don't understand what Willie has said or done that makes some here think Willie is some kind of jerk or bad ass.

What is wrong with Willie's attitude? I'm not a BIG Willie fan, but I thought he was a decent player that was well liked by most of the team.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Jan 29, 2005 -> 05:22 PM)
Id rather stab myself in the eye 1million times than keep Timo Perez over Harris.

If Harris is moved before Timo, than it is a personal decision, not a statistical one.

I dont think Harris will be moved as fast as many seem to think, KW's statements recently seem to be suggesting that they want Harris to step things up and make the team.

Also, we arent going to get a utility infielder even close to Harris's quality, and that is considering he doesnt play 3b or SS.

SB

Keeping Timo is unrelated to the sox decision on Harris. If they played the same positions or roles then a "Timo or Willie" argument could be made. But they don't

Harris can play of, if, and would be a left handed speed bat off the bench.

Timo plays, RF, LF, and is a left handed speed bat off the bench.

Its kind of pointless to have:

Gload, Timo, and Willie on the roster especially when the Sox have desired an interest for a rh bat off the bench.

Not exactly sure how Harris would not play Timo's role (hes faster, better defensively, and in my opinion a better hitter).

The only thing Timo has is hes liked and makes $1mil.

SB

Harris can play of, if, and would be a left handed speed bat off the bench.

Timo plays, RF, LF, and is a left handed speed bat off the bench.

Its kind of pointless to have:

Gload, Timo, and Willie on the roster especially when the Sox have desired an interest for a rh bat off the bench.

Not exactly sure how Harris would not play Timo's role (hes faster, better defensively, and in my opinion a better hitter).

The only thing Timo has is hes liked and makes $1mil.

SB

There's a big difference. I am not a huge fan of Perez or Harris but I can see why the Sox would lean toward keeping Perez.

One, Perez can play all three OF positions and is a good bench player. By all accounts he is a good fit in the clubhouse and accepts his role. This is an important factor to consider when assembling a team.

Harris cannot play the OF corners. He can play CF and 2B. There is some conjecture that Harris is not a good fit in the clubhouse, that issue has been beaten to death here.

Additionally, the Sox have Podsednik, Rowand, Perez, and Everett who can handle CF. The need for Harris to play CF on this team is negligeable.

I really doubt this is a personality contest or a personal vendatta, the Sox are looking at their needs and also the best clubhouse chemistry. Maybe Harris will fit some other clubhouse better, it appears he isn't the best fit here. Sometimes that's just the way it goes, doesn't make Harris a bad guy or a good guy for that matter.