Dave Wills

whitesox91403

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 05:22 AM)
I always liked Dave Wills and his description of the green latrine as the Shrine. He is a correct thinking individual. He has said on the air that doing play by play for a MLB team is his career ambition and the pre/post game job is part of 'paying his dues'. If he gets the job I'll miss him but God bless him and good luck!

QUOTE(TLAK @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 07:00 AM)
I always liked Dave Wills and his description of the green latrine as the Shrine.  He is a correct thinking individual.  He has said on the air that doing play by play for a MLB team is his career ambition and the pre/post game job is part of 'paying his dues'.  If he gets the job I'll miss him but God bless him and good luck!

Wills is posting over at WSI under a similiar thread using the screen name Bump34. He confirmed he got the job. Willsy is gone.

I agree, I know he's a huge Sox fan and an employee of the Sox, but that guy had a huge Sox chip on his shoulder. He had ZERO tolerance for any criticism towards the Sox, even when it was warranted. Putting a positive spin on everything no matter how bad it is, is just not doing your job. It will be nice to hopefully hear a caller get a word in edge wise on the post game shows.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
They can have him.

I was never a fan.

Good luck to him, but I won't miss him at all.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 06:22 AM)
hard to imagine a more difficult way to spend your summer than sitting in an empty Tropicana Dome talking about a team that loses 90 games

maybe we can add steve stone to the broadcasts

Ya think Stone would do our Pre and Post Game shows?!?

:huh

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 08:49 AM)
I won't miss him either... I know this will be a bit unpopular but maybe he can take Hawk and DJ with him... Hawks Schtick is getting old to me and DJ adds absolutely nothing to a broadcast...IMO

I liked Wills but the "Sox chip on his shoulder" post earlier pegged it pretty good.

The only on-air personality I couldn't do without is Rooney. The rest, especially DJ and Farmer, can go.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)
I liked Wills but the "Sox chip on his shoulder" post earlier pegged it pretty good.

The only on-air personality I couldn't do without is Rooney.  The rest, especially DJ and Farmer, can go.

I fully agree with those saying he was too much of a homer. After the last game last year, people wanted to call and say the Sox choked or didn't live up to expectations and he said he wouldn't take any negative calls or say anything negative about the team.

Go ahead and remove your lips from the Sox brass ass and head to Florida. Please, please, please take Basball Pants Ed Farmer with you.

Kinda off the subject, but did anyone catch Stone's comments about the Sosa trade last night? Basically he said the leaving early on the last day of the season incident would never had leaked if the Cubs were still happy with Sosa's production.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 03:43 PM)
THat was mentioned on Bores and Bernsie yesterday.

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 08:52 AM)

The only on-air personality I couldn't do without is Rooney.  The rest, especially DJ and Farmer, can go.

Rooney's an underrated pro. If a color guy follows his lead, the game experience can be a really good one for the fan. I never cared much for DJ but when he worked with Rooney on one Sox telecast while Hawk was away at some golf tourney they did real well together. A big thumbs up for John Rooney.

I'll miss Dave Wills. Professionalism and class (which several of you indicated he lacks) were never characteristics I highly regard in a radio broadcaster. Wills appeal is his southside, blue-collared, neighborhood attitude and demeanor. Blasting the Cubs was simply an added bonus to which fans could relate.

Perhaps his best quality was avoiding phone calls/harsh criticism following a disappointing loss. He developed aversion techniques which will become useful in Tampa Bay.

Don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to miss Willsy squirming in his seat whenever 'Bill from the Northwest Side' would relay his ridiculous predictions. He became quite the nemesis of Wills through the progression of the season.

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:19 PM)
how can he just leave us like that? the d-rays? c'mon! :banghead

i bet u its because the money, just like with maggs. :chair

i really liked dave. maybe hes sick of the sox underachieving? :huh

Save your $ and don't place that bet. :stick

He's going from pre-game and post-game studio host to a f***ing radio play-by-play man. Wouldn't you do the same if you were in a position to achieve one of your dreams?

PBP is something he's wanted to do for a long time. Even if it is for the D-rays.

Traveling to different stadiums all around the country and a bigger paycheck are bonuses...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
He's going from pre-game and post-game studio host to a f***ing radio play-by-play man.  Wouldn't you do the same if you were in a position to achieve one of your dreams?

In a heartbeat.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
He's going from pre-game and post-game studio host to a f***ing radio play-by-play man.  Wouldn't you do the same if you were in a position to achieve one of your dreams?

not for the devil rays!

:angry:

u know that if he would be getting the same amount of money he would stay though. i was just joking about the money thing and maggs though :headshake

Obviously, that is his dream and priority. To someone else, working in a lesser role or capacity, but staying with the Sox, the team you love, might be more important.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 06:25 PM)

QUOTE(Melissa1334 @ Feb 3, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
not for the devil rays!

:angry:

u know that if he would be getting the same amount of money he would stay though. i was just joking about the money thing and maggs though :headshake

It's not about $$. It's about going from one job to another which is leaps and bounds ahead of where he is at. Pre and post to play by play... do you have any clue as to how huge of a career jump that is..?

And there is no staying. There is not a job in pbp with the Sox at this time.