Baseball America top 100

daa84

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 6, 2005 -> 12:41 AM)
Of course the cynic in me tells me Josh Fields is on the Carlos Lee track to the Majors... He may be at 3B all the way to the bigs, but from what I've heard about his defense, he may have to find another position.

He'll be at 3B unless Crede forces a move to 1B. He won't play LF, IMO, he's an infielder.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 11:05 AM)
He'll be at 3B unless Crede forces a move to 1B.  He won't play LF, IMO, he's an infielder.

Crede will not block Fields from Chicago. As soon as Fields is ready, Crede will be out the door. The Sox know with Crede being a Borass client, they aren't going to be able to resign him if he ever realizes his potential. And if Crede doesn't realize his potential, the Sox won't want him anyway.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Crede will not block Fields from Chicago.  As soon as Fields is ready, Crede will be out the door.  The Sox know with Crede being a Borass client, they aren't going to be able to resign him if he ever realizes his potential.  And if Crede doesn't realize his potential, the Sox won't want him anyway.

I think that's a gross oversimplification. Uribe is a Boras client, so what?

If Crede falls flat on his face, Fields will be the opening day 2006 starter if he does well this year. If Crede has a good or better year, they will probably start Fields in AAA and may move him to first.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
I think that's a gross oversimplification.  Uribe is a Boras client, so what?

If Crede falls flat on his face, Fields will be the opening day 2006 starter if he does well this year.  If Crede has a good or better year, they will probably start Fields in AAA and may move him to first.

Simplification maybe, but the wispers started last year about Crede not learning from his mistakes, and being stubborn to change. Honestly I was surprised he was back here this year.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 09:15 AM)
Crede will not block Fields from Chicago.  As soon as Fields is ready, Crede will be out the door.  The Sox know with Crede being a Borass client, they aren't going to be able to resign him if he ever realizes his potential.  And if Crede doesn't realize his potential, the Sox won't want him anyway.

100% disagree. Crede will produce this year and Crede has all the ability to be one of the best 3rd baseman in all of baseball. The Sox own his rights for a while and just because Boras is his agent now, doesn't mean Boras will be his agent when FA comes along.

It would be 100% stupid to get rid of Crede or force him out when and if he produces becuase then your just bringing in another untested player who is going to have to go through the motions before panning out or failing.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 01:22 PM)
Simplification maybe, but the wispers started last year about Crede not learning from his mistakes, and being stubborn to change.  Honestly I was surprised he was back here this year.

That's true, but from about mid-august last year he's given himself unto Walker. We'll see if that translates to results, but having seen his "refined" swing mechanics, it's definitely improved. Hopefully it works.

Agree 100% with Jason on this one.

As long as KW is at the helm if the Sox are within sniffing distance of a div crown prospects are nothing more than chips to be used in trades. Some think that's sad but it's true. It puts a greater burden on KW to scout better than most when it comes to looking for new talent. The Sox have become a revolving door.

I can't fault KW. The fact is that outside of Buehrle the organization has not produced one bonified star in the pitching dept. The last one was Foulke & he came over in the white flag trade. Min has done a much better job at getting more out of thier farm system in the pitching dept than the Sox. That's forced KW to give up more to compete.

ummm KW didnt take over until what after the 2000 season and now we have one of the best pitching prospects in baseball not to mention Honel if he rebounds is still a very good prospect and Gio Gonzalez and Tracey both have high upsides.

than we have 3 top 100 hitting prospects too... so as far as im concerned KW has done a great job in his drafting.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 12:51 AM)
ummm KW didnt take over until what after the 2000 season and now we have one of the best pitching prospects in baseball not to mention Honel if he rebounds is still a very good prospect and Gio Gonzalez and Tracey both have high upsides.

than we have 3 top 100 hitting prospects too... so as far as im concerned KW has done a great job in his drafting.

Sorry for changing the topic a little bit, but if Honel rebounds and has an above-average season, and Tracey/Mac/Gonzalez continue on there ways without any significant injuries, I think one has to start looking at our minor league pitching (starting pitching, too) as pretty damn good, and probably the top third in the MLB.

It would definitely be a joy to see Honel succeed, as he's a local kid -- but man, if Mac/Tracey/Gonzalez all pan out, I think we're looking at one hell of a staff the next five-ten years.

And, I'm still holding out hope that the Sox will take the risk (pay the man, as we don't have any supp. picks or second rounders) and go after Jered Weaver, as the two sides (Angels and Boras) have totally split, apparently. Man -- if the Sox got Weaver, I'd be one happy, happy person, as well as Jason and many others...

looks like the Weaver price is 7.5 million. Hard to see JR approving a deal for that. Let me ask you guys something. Everyone and their mother knew what Drew and Wever wanted. WHy draft them if you aren't at least planning on being in the same ballpark as the. Boras proved with Drew that he'll have a guy sit out a year before he gives in too much. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I think typically you figure that they'll fluctuate a bit. Like the Angels and Weaver aren't that far apart, but the Angels spent a lot on the draft already and obviously decided that spending at much money is too risky and that they would be better off reinvesting extra in this years draft (draft a few highly touted guys that slip, kind of like they did last year) and go from there.

In Drew's case I don't really know what he's asking for. My guess is 5-6 mill bonus. Either would be worth that, imo. Drew is gonna be a hell of a player as is Weaver.

If both re-enter and they are around when the Sox pick, I'd take my chances on either.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 02:38 PM)
Sorry for changing the topic a little bit, but if Honel rebounds and has an above-average season, and Tracey/Mac/Gonzalez continue on there ways without any significant injuries, I think one has to start looking at our minor league pitching (starting pitching, too) as pretty damn good, and probably the top third in the MLB.

It would definitely be a joy to see Honel succeed, as he's a local kid -- but man, if Mac/Tracey/Gonzalez all pan out, I think we're looking at one hell of a staff the next five-ten years.

And, I'm still holding out hope that the Sox will take the risk (pay the man, as we don't have any supp. picks or second rounders) and go after Jered Weaver, as the two sides (Angels and Boras) have totally split, apparently.  Man -- if the Sox got Weaver, I'd be one happy, happy person, as well as Jason and many others...

Those early draft picks in the last MLB draft really helped rebuilt the young pitching for the farm, even though a lot of them are still down in the lower levels.

Tyler Lumsden

Giovani Gonzalez

Ray Liotta

Wes Whisler

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
the reason i like idea of drafting weaver is he already sat out 1 year.... you would have to think that the player is not going to want to sit out another year....which would leave us in the better position.

What about Matt Harrington?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
I cannot see the Sox drafting Weaver.  They already have a contentious relationship with the family.  If I recall, when the Sox drafted Jeff, his father had some not too friendly comments about the organization.

Hmm... That'd probably throw a wrench into my hopes then, huh?

Well, if Drew is there, I'd hope the Sox would grap him then. This organziation could use a top-notch MIF prospect...

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 8, 2005 -> 05:19 PM)
id just hope they take a chance on the best player available whoever that is.... whether it be weaver, drew, or one of those rice pitchers that didnt sign.

The Rice P is Wade Townsend. The Orioles couldn't sign him after he went to class as a negotiating ploy. Once he did that they could no longer negotiate with him.