Getting to US Cellular

Indywallin

Since I am a neewbie to the Sox fan base, I am seeking advice on the best and safest way to get to US Cellular. Got my opening day tix, but have never been to US Cellular.

I am coming from Indiana and have benn told to take the red line. If I did that, what stop is the best to get on. I would still have to park somewher and leave my car.

Parking by the stadium is $17, which I am willing to pay, but I am more concerned about getting out of Chicago and back to Indianapolis in a decent amount of time. With little traffic, my trip would take 3 hours. I do realize the Ryan can be a nightmare especially late afternoons.

I would greatly appreciate anyones advice.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 12:09 PM)
They just announced construction on 80/94.  It's not gonna be pretty.

Yeah it is going to be ugly. If you don't mind the tolls, I wouldn't go that way. From Indy take 65 past 80/94 and jump on the Skyway (I-90) instead. That will dump you off onto the Ryan eventually and you will miss all of the construction. You end up getting on the Ryan somewhere around 70th st, and are about 10 minutes on a good day away from the ballpark.

Also I listen to AM780 for traffic on the 8's. If something happens then you can adjust your route accordingly. Good luck, and stop by the tailgate and say HI if you like. We are a friendly bunch and more Sox fans are always welcome.

As for taking the Red Line from that direction, I don't really recommend it. Since you have a car, drive. I also recommend taking a few hours after the game and hitting Jimbos or something, as traffic can be congested in that area right after games for quite a bit...so if you don't mind sitting in traffic, leave right away. :D

Choose one: (I will use only major streets to keep this simple and I'm only giving directions after you are already on I94)

Choice #1:

Take I94 (obviously) to the Pershing Road exit, take a left

Go straight on Pershing until you get to Halsted Street and take a right

Go straight on Halsted until you get to 35st Street and take another right, this will lead you right to US Cellular Parking (there will be cheaper parking BEFORE the actual park from parking lot owners, etc.)

Choice #2:

Take I94 to 31st Street exit (this will make you PASS US Cellular), take a left

Go straight until you get to Wallace and take a left

Go straight until you get to 35th Street and take a left, this will lead you to parking.

This is the easiest way to go, as if you try to get off at 35th street, they will NOT let you drive that direction on 35th and will divert you to Pershing anyway, so taking one of the other two routes will allow you to get their easier with less traffic/police telling you where you can/cannot drive.

:headbang

QUOTE(Indywallin @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
Since I am a neewbie to the Sox fan base, I am seeking advice on the best and safest way to get to US Cellular. Got my opening day tix, but have never been to US Cellular.

I have no driving advice. I'm just curious why you are a newbie to the Sox nation? What team did you root for previous? And let me welcome you aboard! :cheers

You are going to love Comiskey. I'm sorry, the cell. I recommend that you get a bratwurst on the lower level concourse from the brat/polish stand, near the seating area, around 1st or 3rd base. i want to say its called Beltin Bill's Brats and Polish or something. Also, get a funnel cake. US Cellular Rocks!

:gosox3:

let me share my horror story:

2001 was the first year i went to opening day. me, my dad and my friend drove down there, using the 'backroutes' as my dad used to call them. we had no problem until we got to about a mile from the Park. traffic then was terrible. we werent able to get into the parking lots because of how backed up everythign was. we ended up parking on one of the side streets, and didnt get in the park til the 5th inning. :angry:

since that day, i have not driven to the park. i always take the El (either the blue to red or the green all the way, depending on where im coming from). its fast, its cheap, and there are alot less hassels.

of the 50 or so SOx games ive been to since 2001, only but a few times did i not use the El.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
I have no driving advice.  I'm just curious why you are a newbie to the Sox nation?  What team did you root for previous?  And let me welcome you aboard! :cheers

You are going to love Comiskey. I'm sorry, the cell.  I recommend that you get a bratwurst on the lower level concourse from the brat/polish stand, near the seating area, around 1st or 3rd base.  i want to say its called Beltin Bill's Brats and Polish or something.  Also, get a funnel cake.  US Cellular Rocks!

A little backround info on the Wallin's

Link 1

Link 2

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 01:00 PM)
Season ticketholders always get a discount on parking.  Last year I paid $13 and walk up parking was $15 I believe.

Really...? We paid $13 all last year and many times we didn't have our pass.

Really...? We paid $13 all last year and many times we didn't have our pass.

Yes. I always got a discount, ever since I had season tickets. It shouldn't be different by parking lot ... but my pass was always for Lots E+F, the ones you enter from 37th St.

Either way, the parking cost is nuts. It might be worth a phone call though ... to see what you get vs. what a drive up person has to pay.

I always remembered when selling my tickets to friends, etc. I told them the price they were paying for tickets/parking was less than if they'd cash parked and walked up to the box office to get tickets. It was like $8 or so total difference.

I was talking to quick, I thought you guys pay $15 this year and drive up cash parking is $17 ... :huh

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 01:07 PM)
I was talking to quick, I thought you guys pay $15 this year and drive up cash parking is $17 ...  :huh

I'm looking at the invoice right now and it says $1053 for parking..? Maybe the tenure has something to do with it..? :huh

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 06:48 PM)
I have no driving advice.  I'm just curious why you are a newbie to the Sox nation?  What team did you root for previous?  And let me welcome you aboard! :cheers

You are going to love Comiskey. I'm sorry, the cell.  I recommend that you get a bratwurst on the lower level concourse from the brat/polish stand, near the seating area, around 1st or 3rd base.  i want to say its called Beltin Bill's Brats and Polish or something.  Also, get a funnel cake.  US Cellular Rocks!

I think he was the guy from the family that was searching for a new team and liked what the Sox did to recruit them as fans. Correct me if I'm wrong Indy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
A little backround info on the Wallin's

Link 1

Link 2

I did read that story back when. Awesome. I love that Brooks Boyer recommended this site. I just stumbled on it by accident a couple months ago.

Anyway, Welcome Wallin, and make sure to get one of those brats, you will love it. Oh, and if you are a beer drinker, we have Miller products, and by Left Field, Beers of the World. :drink