Willie to Milwaukee rumor

WHarris1

Jim, As we have chatted many times. Willie will be gone by the end of camp. The whitesox hope he does well that way they can trade him. In addition, and as you know, I have always hated Diaz, I will find it interesting how many people on this board jump completely off his bandwagon especially if adkins goes back down to be a starter and BMAC coming on strong.

Diaz could be perfect this spring, oops, he already isn't ... and he won't make the team. I am not a fan of his but I'm not intending to torch the guy off of one spring outing. But Diaz will not make the team, barring 3-4 injuries.

There were a ton of scouts there today, doesn't necessarily mean anything, but Diaz certainly did not impress.

On the other hand, Adkins did impress. Most importantly he threw strikes, he's gotten in better shape. Would not surprise me if teams were interested in him, he would fit in many teams bullpens. Not so sure the Sox want to give him up, he does have minor league options left.

Trying to be very neutral here ... Helms would add pop off the bench. Not sure if Guillen knows him from Guillen's time in Atlanta, it's possible.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:22 AM)
Diaz could be perfect this spring, oops, he already isn't ... and he won't make the team.  I am not a fan of his but I'm not intending to torch the guy off of one spring outing.  But Diaz will not make the team, barring 3-4 injuries.

There were a ton of scouts there today, doesn't necessarily mean anything, but Diaz certainly did not impress.

On the other hand, Adkins did impress.  Most importantly he threw strikes, he's gotten in better shape.  Would not surprise me if teams were interested in him, he would fit in many teams bullpens.  Not so sure the Sox want to give him up, he does have minor league options left.

Trying to be very neutral here ... Helms would add pop off the bench.  Not sure if Guillen knows him from Guillen's time in Atlanta, it's possible.

Well if the scouts were there they really didn't see alot of Willie. It appears the scouts were looking at other things and I say it was pitching, starting with adkins and moving on from there. Also Colorado played alot of players as well. They could be there for them.

Well if the scouts were there they really didn't see alot of Willie. It appears the scouts were looking at other things and I say it was pitching, starting with adkins and moving on from there. Also Colorado played alot of players as well. They could be there for them.

I think it was just about the only game in Arizona as well.

If you have ever been out on the lawn area of Tucson Electric Park, I know what other things the scouts were looking at, you know exactly what I'm sayin'. :D

Edited by JimH

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:27 AM)
I think it was just about the only game in Arizona as well.

If you have ever been out on the lawn area of Tucson Electric Park, I know what other things the scouts were looking at, you know exactly what I'm sayin'.  :D

Well they can't get rid of Diaz and Willie quick enough, although the Helms thing is puzzling to me. Helms is not the guy to target unless they are planning on Crede's slumps this year. Hey separate note, I am looking at the box score on ESPN and they have F Thomas playing center field today. I missed the last inning, what exactly did I miss? :crying

Well they can't get rid of Diaz and Willie quick enough, although the Helms thing is puzzling to me. Helms is not the guy to target unless they are planning on Crede's slumps this year. Hey separate note, I am looking at the box score on ESPN and they have F Thomas playing center field today. I missed the last inning, what exactly did I miss? :crying

The box score is up at the main White Sox site, I see your buddy Casey Rogowski must've managed a hit in the 9th inning and got on base for Toca! Toca! Toca!

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
The box score is up at the main White Sox site, I see your buddy Casey Rogowski must've managed a hit in the 9th inning and got on base for Toca! Toca! Toca!

nice reference to Tora Tora Tora! Loved that movie, anyway the BIG ROGS with a huge cheap hit. If he would have struck out he would have been assigned to the minor league camp today! Notice he got the hit when I didn't call you? You are bad luck

nice reference to Tora Tora Tora! Loved that movie, anyway the BIG ROGS with a huge cheap hit. If he would have struck out he would have been assigned to the minor league camp today! Notice he got the hit when I didn't call you? You are bad luck

Not Tora! Tora! Tora!

Think Belushi, and Dean Wermer.

Damn loved that movie too.

Classic. Your Delta name is officially "Flounder" for not recognizing the reference right off the bat.

Helms ... of course Bruce Levine's radar is off these days, for one. Milwaukee has Richie Weeks coming on fast so it leads me to believe they'd be interested in Willie to spell in CF.

Helms adds pop off the bench but where does he get his at bats ... he can maybe play a little LF but he certainly doesn't qualify as a defensive replacement. Plus, the middle infield is still very, very raw.

Brewers would want Harris to be what Pods was.

Unless we are filling an absolute need, I would hate to see Harris traded for so little.

Itd be one thing if we were getting a below average guy who can play 3b, SS, 2b, its quite another to be getting a player who does not do much for us.

SB

Brewers would want Harris to be what Pods was.

Unless we are filling an absolute need, I would hate to see Harris traded for so little.

Itd be one thing if we were getting a below average guy who can play 3b, SS, 2b, its quite another to be getting a player who does not do much for us.

SB

Well, it almost makes sense. Wilson Valdez could backup Uribe at SS and Iguchi at 2B. Helms could backup Crede at 3B and provide the right-handed power bat off the bench that Kenny seemingly wants. We would would have a backup at every position and the righty bat that we need off the bench.

QUOTE(JimH @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 06:56 PM)
I don't think Cintron is available at this time.  Arizona has him penciled in for the primary backup infield job ... which is a smart move by them.  They signed Clayton and Counsell, neither of which are young.

Things can change throught the course of spring training though.

Holy crap Cintron is behind K-Layton for the starting shortstop position? Clayton had a decent year last year but was in Colorado, and two years ago Cintron was great, what gives? Is Clayton's defense that good?

:huh

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 2, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
Holy crap Cintron is behind K-Layton for the starting shortstop position?  Clayton had a decent year last year but was in Colorado, and two years ago Cintron was great, what gives?  Is Clayton's defense that good?

:huh

Royce's defense is overrated. If he gets to the ball he makes the play but he doesn't have good range at all.

I htink Royce's glove is really good. It probably has a lot to do with pushing Cintron/souring on Cintron. Royce never became the player people thought he might be, but I'd take him on my team. He hit pretty well the last few years in Colorado and his dropoff might not be all that much at friendly Arizona

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
Well, it almost makes sense.  Wilson Valdez could backup Uribe at SS and Iguchi at 2B.  Helms could backup Crede at 3B and provide the right-handed power bat off the bench that Kenny seemingly wants.  We would would have a backup at every position and the righty bat that we need off the bench.

So, we trade a guy who plays 2B and CF well, who also hits pretty well (or walks, for that matter) for a guy who can play more positions, yet poorer and does a worse job.

Hmm... And we wonder why we haven't won a World Title since 1918.

I know, I'm overreacting, but let's hope this is just a rumor. That'd be one really, really s***ty deal.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 03:14 AM)
Royce never became the player people thought he might be, but I'd take him on my team.

Yep, you went too far that time. That dude is a waste of space.

He's right up there with some of the more disgraceful players in recent White Sox memory, including Kenny Lofton, D'Angelo Jiminez, Wil Cordero, Jose Canseco, etc. The list goes on and on. And I don't mean disgraceful in terms of performance. I'm talking about character.

FWIW, Mac, jurko and harry had Pods on am 1000 yesterday around 6 pm and mentioned the rumor to him. Pods said Helms was a great guy to have in the clubhouse, had some nice pop to his bat, and would be good to have another familiar face like him around.

That thread said absolutely nothing ... or at least nothing I could comprehend.

I tend to agree with what Addison said yesterday, Helms is a square peg in terms of a fit. If any of this is remotely true, he brings two things - a righthanded bat off the bench, and a backup to Crede.

The thing is, he isn't a great bat because he K's a lot, and his defense at 3B is marginal at best.

Looking at the flip side, he does supply some power and he's an insurance policy in case something happens to Crede.

Like Addison said, it seems like there'd be a better fit out there.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
If the Willie to MILW. rumor indeed has legs to it, couldn't it be for someone else besides Helms? Dumping Helms and his $2+ mill salary would be great for MILW, but I don't see him being the best fit for the sox.

Sure could.. my guess is straight up for Bernie the Brewer. ;)