Reinsdorf on the Score

Guest JimH

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 06:24 PM)
Thats funny, since If I remeber correctly Manuel when he first got here was talking about Small ball and he got "boppers". 

On the quote of JR likeing KW.. of course you do, he is your puppet, and comes cheap.. A  typical JR type guy.

I never believe or would ever trust JR.

QUOTE(CubKilla @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 11:17 AM)
Do it next time then. The treatment of Fisk has been a long time bone of contention with me and shaped my overall impression w/JR, his Organization, and how it is run. Look back at the history of that decision and tell me if you honestly think the White Sox looked good to the fans and, more importantly, MLB players in regards to their unceremonious dumping of Fisk in Cleveland.

Don't like what I post, don't read.

I think JR spoke the truth. Fisk was washed up nobody wanted him, nobody likes him and JR showed some class by letting Fisk break the record. After the Sox cut him, I didn't see anyone else even giving him a shot. His knees were bad, his back was a wreck. He burned bridges with everyone he met. Look how long it took for Boston to bend over and talk to him and that was after a change of ownership and they needed good PR.

All in all he should be grateful JR allowed him to break a record while sacrificing team performance. Don't get me wrong I loved watching hime play and he is one of the greatest catchers of all time. His anger (and he's got alot of it) is misplaced in this situation.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Mar 3, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
My problem witht hepayroll thing is a bit different. I feel that it is smart to leave yourself some room. If Buehrle tears a rotator cuff (god forbid) then you'd want to have an out. I agree with the Beane theory as far as part of the season is finding out who you are and what you need.  But, my issue is with the trades. I feel that we overpay in terms of prospects to avoid actually paying the players contracts. I hope that the payroll room means that we won't trade one of the big three prospects in order to avoid paying another milion or two. That is because that is very shortsighted. You don't invest 2 million in signing bonus money and time developing to skimp out on the same money later. As far as the interview, pretty much company line stuff and nothing new.

This is a morbid way of looking at it but if MB went down with a cuff problem for the year, insurance and worker's comp would cover most if not all of the contract and the Sox could use that money to get a different player.

Who will we trade from the prospects dept to get someone at mid season?

I feel our minor league system is barren after the trades the last few years

Unless we give up someone big like BMac, who do we have to give that someone else might want for a vet?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:01 PM)

Unless we give up someone big like BMac, who do we have to give that someone else might want for a vet?

One of Anderson or Sweeney if it's to acquire a real impact player like Ben Sheets. Plus there's lots of good pitching in the lower levels with Tracey at AA with B-Mac, Giovani Gonzalez and Tyler Lumsden.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)

One player we have traded from the minors has a good chance of being good and that is reed. Otherwise who else? The chair thrower?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:20 AM)
One of Anderson or Sweeney if it's to acquire a real impact player like Ben Sheets. Plus there's lots of good pitching in the lower levels with Tracey at AA with B-Mac, Giovani Gonzalez and Tyler Lumsden.

Why does ben sheets name always come up when we talk about pitchers?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Why does ben sheets name always come up when we talk about pitchers?

Probably because he's the most likely to get dealt of the big name pitchers if the Brewers can't agree on terms for a long - term deal.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:28 AM)
Probably because he's the most likely to get dealt of the big name pitchers if the Brewers can't agree on terms for a long - term deal.

I am just saying for a couple years now even before he went crazy i have always heard his name mentioned with the white sox. I am gonna go out on a limb though and say that get something done with him.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:39 PM)
I am just saying for a couple years now even before he went crazy i have always heard his name mentioned with the white sox. I am gonna go out on a limb though and say that get something done with him.

The Brewers will need a young stud outfielder to replace Carlos Lee when his deal finishes next season, Anderson or Sweeney would be perfect. Considering what Atlanta gave up for Hudson and St. Louis for Mulder, it could cost a B-Mac and Anderson OR Anderson or Sweeney + Tracey and Young or Ricks (something like that).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:47 AM)
The Brewers will need a young stud outfielder to replace Carlos Lee when his deal finishes next season, Anderson or Sweeney would be perfect. Considering what Atlanta gave up for Hudson and St. Louis for Mulder, it could cost a B-Mac and Anderson OR Anderson or Sweeney + Tracey and Young or Ricks (something like that).

Only way i would trade them for him is if we have a deal worked out with him before he is traded to us. I would not even do what we did with garcia and waited however long it was, a week or two. That is taking too much of a risk in my opinion.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:55 AM)
no

Than there is no more money that they could possibly throw towards another starting pitcher. Especially one who will command around 10 mil. If I not mistaken, Garland is the only one who is signed only through this year. Does he hit FA after this year or still arbitration eligible? But I'm getting way to far ahead of myself. Go White Sox!! Haha, lets win a spring training game

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
Than there is no more money that they could possibly throw towards another starting pitcher.  Especially one who will command around 10 mil.  If I not mistaken, Garland is the only one who is signed only through this year.  Does he hit FA after this year or still arbitration eligible?  But I'm getting way to far ahead of myself.  Go White Sox!! Haha, lets win a spring training game

They have garland's rights for another year.

QUOTE(KWs OK for Me @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 08:58 PM)
Than there is no more money that they could possibly throw towards another starting pitcher.  Especially one who will command around 10 mil.  If I not mistaken, Garland is the only one who is signed only through this year.  Does he hit FA after this year or still arbitration eligible?  But I'm getting way to far ahead of myself.  Go White Sox!! Haha, lets win a spring training game

That's the question KW and the Sox have to ask themselves. Is it worth acquiring a pitcher like Sheets for the cost of some real good prospects and is it worth for our rotation to take up about half of our payroll no matter how good it may be? Is it easier long - term payroll flexibility wise to let a prospect like B-Mac develop in the rotation when he's ready, and use the money you save instead of Sheets on improving otherparts of the ballclub in the lineup and bullpen?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Mar 4, 2005 -> 03:01 AM)

Having money to pick up contracts makes a huge difference in this pursuit. Teams that are out of it, will ask for a whole lot less in return if we are willing to pay someone's contract for the rest of the year. That is why we paid so much for Everett and Alomar, because their respective former teams paid almost all of their salaries.