Semis

Illinois over Indiana

Michigan State over Ohio State

Finals

Illinois over Michigan State

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/champweek200...tory?id=2008762

Story lines aplenty in Chicago

By Pat Forde, ESPN.com

The Big Ten tournament lost its leading story line on a shocking Sunday afternoon in Columbus. But if Illinois' chase of perfection was your only reason to monitor events at the United Center this week, you need to lift that Dee Brown headband off your eyes and look at the big picture.

The Big East, ACC and a couple of other leagues probably have more good teams, but no league has more interesting plotlines than the Big Ten's. Even with that "1" in the right-hand column next to the Illini, there is a lot to watch in Chicago:

* How does Illinois respond to the upset loss to Ohio State?

Bruce Weber himself is curious about that.

"Now we've got a taste of defeat," the Illinois coach said. "We'll see how our kids react."

* What happens to the bubble teams (Indiana and Iowa) and their bubble coaches (Mike Davis and Steve Alford)?

* What about the X factor, Ohio State?

Before the season started, Buckeyes athletic director Andy Geiger pulled his team from NCAA Tournament consideration for rules violations committed by former coach Jim O'Brien. But the Buckeyes still are playing in this tournament, and Illinois can vouch for Ohio State's ability to compete. Wouldn't it be something if a league scrambling to get more than three teams in the Dance sees an ineligible school sneak into the semifinals?

* Does Minnesota coach Dan Monson finish off his comeback from the hot seat and into the NCAA Tournament with a memorable Big Ten run?

* Can Michigan's Tommy Amaker do anything in this tourney to get the maize-and-blue fans off his back?

* Will Coach Comb-Over, Gene Keady, find any way for his miserable final Purdue team to send him out with even a Bic-lighter-flick of glory?

Let's start at the top, with Illinois. The Ohio State loss was a real blow to Orangeland, where people already had assumed 30-0 was a lock, figured 33-0 was a sure thing and started planning the parade for 39-0.

Weber said his players "had their heads down" when they returned to Champaign on Sunday, and the coach was said to be devastated himself.

But in the end, what did the loss cost the Illini?

Just one thing: a foothold in history. Indiana '76 continues to stand without peer in the past three decades.

Other than that, the Illini lost absolutely nothing. They didn't lose their No. 1 ranking in the polls. They didn't lose their Big Ten regular-season title or top tournament seeding. They assuredly didn't lose their NCAA Tournament seeding. ("If we lose a No. 1 seed over six seconds, there's something wrong," Weber said.) And they didn't lose their status as one of the teams to beat in the Big Dance.

In fact, Illinois might have gained quite a bit in defeat. In the cold light of this week, Weber seems to realize that his team was feeling the pressure of its 29-0 record down the stretch against Ohio State. When the Buckeyes refused to submit, as the rest of the beleaguered Big Ten has all season when Illinois took its customary double-digit lead, the big dogs played as if their collars had suddenly shrunk.

Better to learn what it feels like to play under that kind of pressure now than, say, when you're 35-0 and in the Sweet Sixteen. This loss could take the edge off.

"I hope we can go up there and play loose and free and enjoy it," Weber said. "Maybe we'll get our confidence back again. ... If anything, the loss gave us something to get excited about, instead of looking ahead to the NCAA Tournament."

The rest of the league must hope that Illinois lost its air of invincibility Sunday – and that the Buckeyes provided a game plan for an upset. Indiana's Davis said Ohio State's decision to play small and draw one of the Illini big men away from the basket defensively was a key – and Davis would love an opportunity to test that theory head-to-head.

Davis says his 15-12 Hoosiers (10-6 in league play) are in. Most bracketologists beg to differ, and some say Indiana not only must beat Minnesota in the quarterfinals but needs to win a potential semifinal matchup with Illinois, too.

"To say we have to win two games is ridiculous," Davis said. "If we don't get in, you're taking three teams from our league. Because we finished fourth. You're not going to go past the fourth-place team to take someone in sixth."

That someone in sixth is Iowa, which rallied to win its last three games and stands 19-10. But the Hawkeyes also stand 7-9 in Big Ten play, Alford's fifth losing conference record in six years. The second chance Alford gave now-two-time-assault-arrestee Pierre Pierce blew up in the coach's face, leaving the onetime Big Ten golden boy without his star player or much community support.

On Monday, Alford started to mount a case for Iowa's at-large inclusion, but acknowledged the larger reality: "We've got to continue to play well and get a couple more wins."

Even then, the Iowa team the NCAA selection committee appraises will be one that plays without Pierce. His dismissal was followed by a serious swoon, which has been followed by stepped-up criticism of Alford from media and fans.

Alford has said he expects to be back in Iowa City next year, but athletic director Bob Bowlsby isn't offering any guarantees. Bowlsby can sidestep the issue this week, at least; as the chairman of the selection committee, he'll be holed up in Indianapolis trying to make sense of the Madness.

While Alford's job status has only become a hot-button topic in the last six weeks, Davis has had to endure it all season. All five seasons, really, since he replaced Bob Knight.

Since a 2-6 start, Davis has been a dead man coaching. But once again, a man counted out a dozen times in five years has come back from the cliff's edge. His Hoosiers have rallied admirably and are only a controversial two-point loss at Wisconsin short of a five-game winning streak.

"I think we're playing pretty good basketball," Davis said.

So are the Buckeyes, whose coach is skilled in winning conference tournaments. Thad Matta has won three of the four he has been in as a head coach at Butler and Xavier, including a four-wins-in-four-days blitzkrieg last year in the Atlantic 10.

On top of that, this tournament truly is the Buckeyes' season. If they didn't expend everything in their emotional reservoir Sunday, they're dangerous enough to make a season-ending run in Chi-town.

"It's going to be the weirdest feeling I've ever had, leaving the building [at Ohio State] on Wednesday and knowing that no matter what happens, we're coming home and putting the stuff away," Matta said.

It's that time of year. After this week, only a fraction of Division I gets to keep the stuff out and keep playing. And in the Big Ten, the endgame story lines are intriguing.

Davis says his 15-12 Hoosiers (10-6 in league play) are in. Most bracketologists beg to differ, and some say Indiana not only must beat Minnesota in the quarterfinals but needs to win a potential semifinal matchup with Illinois, too.

"To say we have to win two games is ridiculous," Davis said. "If we don't get in, you're taking three teams from our league. Because we finished fourth. You're not going to go past the fourth-place team to take someone in sixth."

Davis should just shut up and let his team do the talking......

Mike Downey in the Tribune:

A few tidbits worth knowing about Big Ten

March 10, 2005

Welcome, out-of-towners, to the Big Ten men's basketball tournament.

This is a big deal here in Chicago, where we in the media usually bring you coverage of just three news stories on a daily basis: The war in Iraq, strife in the Middle East and why Ron Santo isn't in the Hall of Fame.

Our goal is to provide you with 24-hour Big Ten tournament information, including a full investigation into Dan Rather's exclusive report Wednesday night on CBS that, according to his most reliable sources, Purdue University is in Iowa.

I personally intend to look into a claim on the air by ESPN's outspoken Doug Gottlieb that all three referees who worked Ohio State's upset of Illinois actually were Ohio State faculty members who tied up the real refs and locked them overnight in a bathroom somewhere in downtown Columbus.

Here are a few more facts for all of you who have come here to follow your favorite teams from the Big Ten Plus Penn State, which is a school that needs to do much, much better if it ever wants this conference to call itself the Big Eleven:

Tournament action will begin 11 a.m. Thursday at the United Center, where, for the first time since 1998, the Big Ten's last-place team probably couldn't beat the NBA's Bulls.

Six different schools have won this conference tournament in its first seven years: Michigan (1998), Michigan State (1999, 2000), Iowa (2001), Ohio State (2002), Illinois (2003) and Wisconsin (2004).

I looked up "Minnesota" in my dictionary and it said: "Way overdue."

Gene Keady will coach his last game for Purdue, unless, by some miracle, the Boilermakers can win four games in four days and the championship.

If this miracle occurs and Purdue does win the tournament, Keady must make a promise to put on that "Weber's Grill" apron Illinois coach Bruce Weber gave him as a retirement gift and wear it to Purdue's first-round NCAA tournament game.

There will be a "Big Ten Mascot Challenge" at 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the ESPN Zone restaurant, 43 E. Ohio St.

Battling head-to-head, I am told, will be Bucky Badger, Willie the Wildcat, Goldy the Gopher, Sparty Spartan, Nittany Lion and Purdue Pete.

Chief Illiniwek is not scheduled to appear. I don't know if the Chief took a pass because he has a prior engagement, because he wasn't invited or because he has plans to be off someplace smoking a peace pipe, but I will try to find out.

As you may know, outstanding players from Iowa, Michigan and Wisconsin had to leave their teams after encountering very serious legal troubles away from the basketball court.

But the Big Ten also has more than its share of outstanding young men.

So let it be known the conference's awards for good sportsmanship went to Graham Brown, Michigan; Greg Brunner, Iowa; Davor Duvancic, Northwestern; Kevin Fellows, Penn State; Andrew Ford, Purdue; Chris Hill, Michigan State; Brent Lawson, Minnesota; Matt Marinchick, Ohio State; Roger Powell, Illinois; Mike Roberts, Indiana and Mike Wilkinson, Wisconsin, the families of whom should be proud.

After a wake-up call at Ohio State, it will be interesting to see if No. 1 ranked Illinois looks sharp or shaky Friday morning when it returns to the floor.

I also will be curious to see if the Illini coaching staff sends a scout to check out the Oakland Golden Grizzlies, a team that won the Mid-Continent Conference's tournament to earn a bid to the NCAA tournament.

Inasmuch as the Golden Grizzlies own a ghastly record of 12-18, it is entirely possible they could end up drawing one of the very top seeds in the NCAA field. I can't bear to think how krushed the Orange Krush fans would be if the Illini were to be eliminated by a team with a record of 12-18.

Michigan State is 22-5. So don't try to tell me the Spartans can't win this tournament.

Wisconsin beat a very good Illinois team in last year's Big Ten tournament final. So don't try to tell me the Badgers can't win this tournament.

Iowa has taken Illinois to overtime in Champaign and also gave the Illini a very tough time in Iowa City. So don't try to tell me the Hawkeyes can't win this tournament.

I was just joking about Penn State a few paragraphs ago. Penn State is a fine, fine school. Just don't try to tell me the Nittany Lions can win this tournament.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Mar 7, 2005 -> 07:25 PM)
I find it funny how everyone has taken Michigan over Northwestern. Not that it matters, but I'd almost go as far as to guarantee a win for NU. Michigan is definitely worse than the Cats.

From the Prediction thread. I'd like to gloat at how much Michigan sucks. :D