Lefties in the bullpen

YASNY

Manager Ozzie Guillen said he might need four left-handers in his bullpen but would settle for three and right-hander Luis Vizcaino, who had strong numbers against left-handed hitters last season.

Damaso Marte and Neal Cotts have looked strong this spring, and Guillen also likes veteran lefty Kevin Walker, 28, who has pitched three scoreless innings. Walker has 113 games of major-league experience with the San Diego Padres and San Francisco Giants.

Guillen believes the left-handed-heavy lineups in the American League Central make lefty relievers a necessity, but as of now, there is no room on the roster for a third left-hander.

This would take some serious juggling to find room for 4 lefties.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
It looks like the Sox may carry 12 pitchers now. Walker, Cotts and Adkins are probably fighting for those 2 open spots in the pen.

I know it's been mentioned on here by several other folks, but I REALLY hope that those two spots go to Walker and Adkins with Cottsy working as a SP in Charlotte.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)
I know it's been mentioned on here by several other folks, but I REALLY hope that those two spots go to Walker and Adkins with Cottsy working as a SP in Charlotte.

I REALLY hope they pick the 12 best pitchers and put them on the roster.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 12:27 AM)
I REALLY hope they pick the 12 best pitchers and put them on the roster.

The argument there though is are you sacrificing long - term gain for some short - term gain? That's something the Sox have to consider.

Ozzie seems to really like Cotts in the bullpen. The better Neal does there, the less likely they'll need him to start. Unless something dramatic happens, Cotts likely won't be the 4th or 5th option to start games should the sox need a starter [behind BMac, Hermanson, Adkins]. Maybe next yr he'd be an option to start. But not this year.

The only scenario I'd see Neal starting is if he was doing horrible in the sox pen, and had to be sent down to AAA. But that isn't likely

He needs to learn another pitch or two, otherwise as of right now I don't want to see him as a SP anytime in the near furture. IMOlearning the curve would only help him.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 07:11 AM)

I agree and I will tell you why. There is some serious age on the sox that is going to be filled in with several younger players in the next 2 seasons. Anderson, sweeney, fields, ragowski. But there is also some young pitching talent coming up through the ranks as well, BMAC, Honel, Cotts. I think if we send Cotts down to the minors for ayear to work on his role as a SP, then when Contreras and El Duque hit 50 years old next season or the one after that, they can be filled in with two or three young guns with SP experience over several years. I want us to be able to reload this team, when we have to cut payroll and cut age.

For those arguing short vs long term you can't go less than your best in a year in which your payroll is the highest it's ever been.

The pen right now:

Shingo - strong vs LH, & RH

Marte - strong vs LH, could be strong vs RH

Hermanson - strong vs RH, weak vs LH

Vizcaino - strong vs LH, weak vs RH

Politte - strong vs RH, weak vs LH

Cotts - better vs LH, than RH

Adkins - better vs RH, than LH

Cotts is needed more in the pen than Adkins.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 12:54 PM)
Vizcaino - strong vs LH, weak vs RH

So are you saying his K/BB of just under 3, his K/9 of just under 9, his WHIP of 0.94, and his BAA of .170 in 51.3 IP in 2002 against RHP was a fluke?

He is solid against both, IMO...so why not just leave it at that?

Personally, I think Vizcaino ends up being one of the biggest RP steals of the offseason, since he was essentially a throw in. I think he ends up being our RH set up guy this year, with Politte remaining in middle relief and Hermanson being the swing man.

Vizcaino

04: VS. LEFT: .163 / .586 VS. RIGHT: .290 / .855

02-04: vs. Left .207/.668, vs. Right .238/.734

I'd agree there is more reason to hope ;)

But if you're hoping in that then by all means hope in this as well.

Marte

04 : vs. Left 143/473 vs Right 263/784

02-04: vs. Left 154/470, vs Right 238/668

If Marte & Vizcaino pitch close to their 3 yr avg's the Sox will rival the Twins for the best pen in the ALC.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 07:35 PM)
If Kevin Walker makes the roster, Adkins will be at Charlotte working as a starting pitcher.  Walker has looked pretty solid so far.

From what I've heard and read, I've been impressed with him too. I want to se this guy pitch.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 9, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
The argument there though is are you sacrificing long - term gain for some short - term gain? That's something the Sox have to consider.

This is where I disagree. I don't think you are sacrificing anything. In fact, I think it's better for Cotts to continue to learn how to pitch to ML hitters, rather than get ml hitters out. He can be stretched out to be a starter in ST when they think he's ready to start.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
This is where I disagree.  I don't think you are sacrificing anything.  In fact, I think it's better for Cotts to continue to learn how to pitch to ML hitters, rather than get ml hitters out.  He can be stretched out to be a starter in ST when they think he's ready to start.

Is he going to be able to improve those secondary pitches, while he's pitching in the pen for us though beacuse that seems to be the major reason for those who want him back in Charlotte, to make him a better pitcher in the long - term. But the question that needs asking, is will Kevin Walker be a better reliever in 2005 than Neal Cotts?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 10, 2005 -> 03:12 AM)
Is he going to be able to improve those secondary pitches, while he's pitching in the pen for us though beacuse that seems to be the major reason for those who want him back in Charlotte, to make him a better pitcher in the long - term. But the question that needs asking, is will Kevin Walker be a better reliever in 2005 than Neal Cotts?

There is no reason why he couldn't improve those secondary pitches. If Kevin Walker is the better pitcher, then he should make the club. Which is what I basically said in my first post.