Frank asking to withdraw subpoena

rangercal

Major League Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig volunteered yesterday to testify before a Congressional committee investigating steroid use in baseball, and lawyers for Jason Giambi, Rafael Palmeiro and Frank Thomas asked the committee to withdraw their subpoenas.

Representative Henry A. Waxman, Democrat of California and the ranking minority member of the House Government Reform Committee, said that Selig was smart to agree to testify on Thursday and that the players' subpoenas would not be withdrawn.

"We expect them to be here," Waxman said in a telephone interview last night. "We're open to granting them immunity. We are not going to go into asking them to name names of other players or anything like that. We don't think that is appropriate. But we want to hear what they have to say about themselves."

Selig previously declined an informal invitation. Instead, he had offered up Rob Manfred, baseball's executive vice president for labor relations, to testify. Manfred, who was also subpoenaed and knows the details of baseball's antisteroid programs, will appear with Selig.

"We did request he come to start with, and he wanted to send other people, but I think he realized it's in his best interest to be here," Waxman said.

Selig's reversal comes four days after Representative Joe Barton, Republican of Texas and chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, criticized Selig for failing to respond to its informal invitation to appear before that committee.

In a brief statement saying that he would comply with the subpoena from the Government Reform Committee, Selig said, "I am proud of the progress baseball has made on the subject of steroids and performance-enhancing drugs and look forward to sharing this information with the committee."

The lawyers for Giambi, Palmeiro and Thomas - three of the seven players subpoenaed - made different arguments on their behalf, though all emphasized that they did not want to give any credence to Jose Canseco's book, "Juiced."

Giambi and Palmeiro were accused of steroid use in the book. They and Thomas, a critic of steroids, are represented by the same lawyers, David M. McIntosh and Michael Kantor.

Giambi, the lawyers wrote, has already been victimized by the leak of his "full, complete and truthful testimony" to the Balco grand jury in December 2003. The lawyers said Congressional testimony could compromise Giambi's ability to testify in those trials.

"To call Mr. Giambi and other players before the committee and ask them to 'name names' or otherwise testify against themselves and their teammates is unfair and unwise," the lawyers wrote in a letter to Waxman and Representative Tom Davis, Republican of Virginia, the committee chairman.

Palmeiro, they wrote in a separate letter, "should not have to appear at a hearing prompted by scurrilous and wholly false allegations by a former player, and this committee should not dignify those allegations by requesting or compelling Mr. Palmeiro's attendance."

The letter said the subpoena had "damaged Mr. Palmeiro's reputation far more than the book otherwise would have."

Thomas, the lawyers wrote, would be suspected of steroid use even though he is being called because he "has long been an outspoken opponent of steroids."

"To put Mr. Thomas on a panel with Jose Canseco would create the false impression - especially to the great majority of people who would not watch the hearings in their entirety - that he, too, has something to answer for," the lawyers wrote. "He doesn't."

In addition, they said Thomas would miss three days of therapy for an ankle injury that is said to be threatening his career.

Also yesterday, Major League Baseball met a noon deadline to provide about 400 pages of documents on drug testing that had been subpoenaed by the committee, spokesmen for baseball and the committee said.

"They got here this morning," Robert White, a committee spokesman, said. "The lawyers are going through them now."

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:18 AM)
I thought he wanted to speak out on steroids. I guess maybe MLB is forcing him too. I hope that's what it is.

He does. But there are numerous reports about his ankle swelling up because of plane flights. This could put his recovery time back, and that is what he does not want.

This is the players union speaking. I have no doubt Frank wants to go, but the players union wants all the players to be unified. That's what unions do, one voice speaks for the players. if Frank jumps at the chance to go while the others are trying to decline Frank looks like he is not supporting the players. i am sure he will speak.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
He does.  But there are numerous reports about his ankle swelling up because of plane flights.  This could put his recovery time back, and that is what he does not want.

I think Quikman is right. Besides, I heard that they could teleconference him in so that he didn't have to actually be there to testify. Is this true? Anyone?

I think Quikman is right.   Besides, I heard that they could teleconference him in so that he didn't have to actually be there to testify.   Is this true?  Anyone?

Yep. Frank's doctors said that if he flies his ankle could swell up like a grapefruit. I also heard that Frank could answer questions via teleconference. If Frank is trying to withdraw the subpoena it is probably because he is just going along with what the rest of the MLB Players' Association wants to do.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 08:50 AM)
I think Quikman is right. Besides, I heard that they could teleconference him in so that he didn't have to actually be there to testify. Is this true?  Anyone?

I think QM is right also. I have no doubts that the union is pushing players to STFU. The irony is if the union had done something about this 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago, they wouldn't be in this situation now. The union is the one who held this stuff up, and now they are paying for it. You reap what you sow.

QUOTE(quickman @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:27 PM)
This is the players union speaking. I have no doubt Frank wants to go, but the players union wants all the players to be unified. That's what unions do, one voice speaks for the players. if Frank jumps at the chance to go while the others are trying to decline Frank looks like he is not supporting the players. i am sure he will speak.

Schilling is testifying without any complaints and he's obviously in the union. If Frank is worried about his ankle then his lawyers need to announce that that's his issue and he'll participate via conference call. The excuse given sounds like a horrible cop out IMO. Looks like Frank getting bad advice again.

Schilling is testifying without any complaints and he's obviously in the union.  If Frank is worried about his ankle then his lawyers need to announce that that's his issue and he'll participate via conference call.  The excuse given sounds like a horrible cop out IMO. Looks like Frank getting bad advice again.

The only bad advice he's getting is from the MLBPA. They are probably telling all the players subpoena'd to keep their mouths shut. It's pretty obvious.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
Schilling is testifying without any complaints and he's obviously in the union.  If Frank is worried about his ankle then his lawyers need to announce that that's his issue and he'll participate via conference call.  The excuse given sounds like a horrible cop out IMO. Looks like Frank getting bad advice again.

It's a tough decision for sure. I'm sure Frank doesn't wanna be the union buster or the 'snitch'. You make a good point about Schilling, but this might be his last year playing. Frank still has a few left in him, why make enemies with guys you're gonna have to work with? Especially when he's not 100% sure where he'll be next year. I'm speculating a lot, of course. :huh

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Only thing I hate about this is that the media can spin this in a bad way since Frank won't be there.  Unfortunately, that's nothing new though.

Its my understanding that Frank will be there, and no subpoenas will be withdrawn.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:56 AM)
Only thing I hate about this is that the media can spin this in a bad way since Frank won't be there.  Unfortunately, that's nothing new though.

Its my understanding that Frank will be there, and no subpoenas will be withdrawn.

It says this right in the article...

Representative Henry A. Waxman, Democrat of California and the ranking minority member of the House Government Reform Committee, said that Selig was smart to agree to testify on Thursday and that the players' subpoenas would not be withdrawn.

"We expect them to be here," Waxman said in a telephone interview last night. "We're open to granting them immunity. We are not going to go into asking them to name names of other players or anything like that. We don't think that is appropriate. But we want to hear what they have to say about themselves."

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
It says this right in the article...

"...we want to hear what they have to say about themselves", makes it sound like everyone being asked to speak is under suspicion of juicing.

What does a guy who doesn't juice have to say about himself? "Uh, I don't juice, may I leave now?"

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:08 AM)
If that's the case, this should NOT be the title of the thread...This is like those stupid magazines in the grocery checkout lanes.

That's what I'm saying... :huh

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Mar 15, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
It's a tough decision for sure. I'm sure Frank doesn't wanna be the union buster or the 'snitch'. You make a good point about Schilling, but this might be his last year playing. Frank still has a few left in him, why make enemies with guys you're gonna have to work with?    Especially when he's not 100% sure where he'll be next year. I'm speculating a lot, of course. :huh

His agent/lawyer, whatever, did say that Frank is being lumped in with those that are suspected of steroid use and FRank has been a staunch anti-steroid spokesman.