Congressional hearing thread

rangercal

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(qwerty @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:47 PM)
So he dressed up to speak for one minute?

Do you think steroid use in cheating.

Mcqwire~~~ '' that is not for me to determine''.

Yeah, as it goes on, more evidence goes against McGwire being clean. How can you say that's not for me to determine when you're asked to give your personal opinion. It's like answering all of the above to a true or false question.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Disagreed.  I respect the hell out of the man.  Call him a whistle blower, call him what you will, this goof has been more up-front and respectable than any of the rest. 

Was he looking for some serious dough in writing "Juiced"? Perhaps.  Does that diminish what he wrote in there or make things any less true?  Absolutely not.

I also feel that it will only be a matter of time before McGwire either admits to usage or is exposed as a former usage.

I was referring to the current panels feelings toward him. I have no problem with Canseco outing the problem in his book, and many other people feel the same way. I do think he's been pretty sleazy about it though. And although he's taking a different tone today, he basically comes out as the spokesperson for steroid usage in his book.

Yes, he's been upfront about it and there might be some good to come out of it. But from what I've read, I see no evidence that the book was for anything else than making money off it.

He's so guilty. So, so, so guilty...

Mark you stupid mf'er.. did you hear that guy earlier say that his son wanted to use Andro because YOU did...? Ugh.. his poor kids. He probably encourages them to use them.

Wow...

Mark McGwire -- "Steroids are bad."

Committe member to McGwire -- "Is using steroids cheating in your opinion?

Mark McGwire -- "That is not for me to determine."

Committe member to McGwire -- "How do you know [steroids] are bad?"

Mark McGwire -- *short pause* "Pardon me?"

McGwire's attorney -- He jumps in and says that the committee member can't ask McGwire that question so the committee member re-phrases his question.

Mark McGwire -- "I've been advised by my attorney not to answer these questions."

:headshake :headshake :headshake

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 03:54 PM)
I was referring to the current panels feelings toward him.  I have no problem with Canseco outing the problem in his book, and many other people feel the same way.  I do think he's been pretty sleazy about it though.  And although he's taking a different tone today, he basically comes out as the spokesperson for steroid usage in his book.

Yes, he's been upfront about it and there might be some good to come out of it.  But from what I've read, I see no evidence that the book was for anything else than making money off it.

Ok, I wasn't sure if you were referring to the current panels or the public at large. :cheers

The guy has nothing to lose. He's already pretty notorious for being a sleaz. As we speak, I've just reached the half-way point in "Juiced". In the book, he does advocate some steroid use and endorses its "positive" effects, but I don't think that dimishes the books validity. He is a whistle blower in every sense of the term.

He knows some deep, dark secrets and in an attempt to make some dough, he's willing to sell out all of his fellow ballplayers.

Should records be scrutinized with respect to steroid usage?

Not for me to determine or not sure - JC, MM, SS, RP. No - CS

Were you in favor of the old policy?

MM - I'm retired. There was no policy when I played. JC - close to the same.

CS - No. The AZ D'Backs did not agree with it.

RP - Yes, but I knew more was needed. SS - I didn't hear the question.

Are you role models? Y - All

Scared Straight analogy - what can we do with high schoolers?

RP - Players should bring the message directly to the schools.

CS - drug testing & consequences needed

Consequences for trainers?

MM, RP, SS - Y

CS - No. We are here today because of loose lips & false accusations.

JC - MLB is not innocent. A Trainer may suffer greater consequences by bringing it to light than to say nothing.

Why has it taken so long for MLB to act?

JC - they needed my books. MM, SS, RP - I don't know.

CS - policy before the book. The policy has gotten stronger after the book.

Fans, say what you will about Canseco but he is presenting a voice unique to these hearings. He has no loyalty to MLB & his comments are coming across very real & very truthful.

He admitted steroid usage in the past. I have to believe the statute of limitations have past in the state of CA for him to do so. There was a pause before he answered.

Canseco - advocates standard uniform testing program from MLB down all the way through high school.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Mar 17, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
He admitted steroid usage in the past.  I have to believe the statute of limitations have past in the state of CA for him to do so.  There was a pause before he answered.

He tested positive for them in '02

He's simply hoping they wont go after him. I don't think they will. I think they are more pissed off at the others for playing stupid.

He tested positive for them in '02

He's simply hoping they wont go after him. I don't think they will. I think they are more pissed off at the others for playing stupid.

Agreed. Canseco paused for a long time before answering. I think he was worried about the repercussions but then just thought, "Oh to hell with it, I may as well answer."