Not a good time to be from around here...

Heads22

It's not a good time to be from the greater O-town area. A few things that have happened in 2005 that have affected this 6600 person town.

• First national guardsman killed in Iraq....OHS Grad.....his mom actually lived with my parents

• Jason Gage murdered in Waterloo as part of a gay hate crime...OHS grad...

• An OHS grad of my high school was down on Spring Break and fell off a balcony and went into a coma....came out with his face all broken

• A small plane crash killed 3 people in the northern part of the county......may not seem strange until you find out 3 planes crashed in eastern Iowa in two days.

• A murder trial involving a body found in a freezer

• And then just recently, the Amber alert ending up with the dead girl no more than 70 miles away

It may not seem like a big deal to some of you big city folk, but it's messed up around here now. This is the place where the town went crazy that there was a new gas station and everyone had to try it out. Same with a car wash. Couple that with the fact that I actually have a hot prom date and you have to realize somethings fishy. (I beat you to the joke SS2k :finger )

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Well, to be fair, the gas station was giving away free bottled water and free slushies. Right now they give away a free Des Moines Register with any gas purchase.

Ooh, I need to know what's happenin down in Des Moines...although, a free slushy sounds better!

The Peach was the s***. I remember going down to ISU football games and reading the Peach on the way down thru Tama county....we'd pick one up at a gas station near Albion or someplace close....maybe Marshall county.....oh how I miss Todd Doxson.

• 3 weeks later...

We'll add to the list that three sophomores from my school were tboned yesterday. One was airlifted from the scene and had a ruptured spleen, broken pelvis, broken hip, collapsed lung and the only one concious. I had actually talked with her quite a bit yesterday. Another girl had a bolt put in to relieve swelling on her brain, and was conciosu for a short while but now isn't. She also has facial fractures. The third girl was in my newspaper class and was flung from the backseat approximately 60 feet into a ditch and wasn't found right away. She's in the worst condition and is being prepared for one of those bolts. Her brain is swelling and there's quite a bit of bleeding. She also has a fractured pelvis and was most likely the only one not wearing a seat belt. All are in critical condition in Iowa City in the SICU. This town's seriously being hit hard this year. Only one was from Oelwein, but all three went to school here, and when everyone knows everyone in the school, it's a pretty big shock. Might happen more at other places, but this just doesn't happen here.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 17, 2005 -> 01:02 AM)
I'm from like 50 miles N of CR. Had Prom tonite and had a pretty sucky time. Waste of 130 bucks on the whole, though I did win (another) GameCube at Post Prom.

Is that my birthday present Alex???? I mean this Friday is the big day :D

QUOTE(farmteam @ Apr 16, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)
Did anyone else notice that?

And jeez, Heads, good luck man.  Are you near the Iowa City/Cedar Rapids area by any chance?

Ya, Alex gave me crap for it for like 2 days asking me if I was feeling alright.

It ws her idea to go then she ignored me for the majority of the nite. I was in a bad enough mood that when my dad asked if I wanted a beer I said yes. (Note: Busch Light sucks) Then she'd say she didn't feel like dancing but then was with other guys. Oh well, I had a blast with like 3-4 other girls there after they found out about my date.

• 3 weeks later...

At least there's some good news now.....

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/04...08258710366.txt

Those girls are still recovering, but all are out of a coma.

Plus, we won our first tennis meet in two years. And no, not against the Iowa School for the Blind and the Deaf. Beat Marion 6-3. I pulled down wins in both singles and doubles so I'm happy. :D

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 9, 2005 -> 08:22 PM)
Plus, we won our first tennis meet in two years. And no, not against the Iowa School for the Blind and the Deaf. Beat Marion 6-3. I pulled down wins in both singles and doubles so I'm happy. :D

So, you lost to the blind kids?

Congrats!

QUOTE(Heads22 @ May 10, 2005 -> 12:22 PM)
At least there's some good news now.....

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2005/04...08258710366.txt

Those girls are still recovering, but all are out of a coma.

Heads winning Tennis is like LaTroy Hawkins recording a 1-2-3 inning. It just doesn't happen that often. :P