I saw this rumor on PTI

3E8

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:39 PM)
Niners trade first round pick to Chargers for Phillip Rivers, Chargers then take Edwards with that pick.  Thoughts?

Makes a whole lot of sense to me.

They could probably plug Rivers in as the starting quarterback immediately.

The Niners don't have to make this move, but if they feel more comfortable with Rivers than either Rodgers or Smith, they should do it.

Personally, I really like what Rivers brings to the table and I think he could do very well in SF. They really need the new face of the organization, Rivers could work.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)

The Niners don't have to make this move, but if they feel more comfortable with Rivers than either Rodgers or Smith, they should do it.

Personally, I really like what Rivers brings to the table and I think he could do very well in SF.  They really need the new face of the organization, Rivers could work.

Keeping the pick and taking either of Smith or Rodgers would work well for them too.

If it is true that the offer is on the table and that San Diego would make the move, that helps San Fran out a lot...they can weigh a ton of their options.

Not only would that trade hurt both Rodgers and Smith's stock, but it would help Williams, Williamson, and Clayton's stocks immensely.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)

Personally, I really like what Rivers brings to the table and I think he could do very well in SF.  They really need the new face of the organization, Rivers could work.

Plus they are a year ahead in this guys learning curve.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 06:01 PM)
Plus they are a year ahead in this guys learning curve.

McCarthy runs a very crisp offense. There would be no grooming Rivers; the starting job is as good as his. Although McCarthy runs a different system than Cam Cameron, it won't be a drastic change.

Make no mistake about it, Rivers is a very talented QB and I think it would be in the best interests of the Niners to make this trade and bring over the new face of the organization.

Teams like Green Bay and Arizona must be loving this rumor as guys like Smith and Frye will now have a better chance of falling further in the first round.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't think you take a hit by trading someone do you?  Doesn't the other team assume the hit of the contract?

I think San Diego has to pay all of Rivers signing bonus still, but I'm not too sure on that.

As much respect as I have for Rivers, as he tore apart my Heels and the ACC for over 12,000 yards I believe, I can't honestly say he will be a better pro quarterback than Rodgers or Smith. Is he a year ahead in the learning curve? Definitely. But I don't think he has nearly the potential the other two have, Rodgers and Smith are both much better athletes than Rivers. Philip could REALLY struggle behind a no name 49ers OL.

With that said, Rivers will be a solid NFL QB, just not sure if he will be better than Rodgers or Smith.

ESPN.com had this up yesterday... there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of truth behind it...yet

One rumor that is picking up speed has the 49ers dealing this pick in exchange for Chargers QB Philip Rivers. It might not come to fruition, but it certainly makes sense for both sides. The Chargers would then have three first-round picks and their starting quarterback of the future in Drew Brees. The 49ers, on the other hand, would get a better quarterback prospect than they could find in this draft, as Rivers grades out considerably higher than Rodgers and Alex Smith (Utah).

This is a really common rumor, although the version that is more common has the Chargers giving up Rivers and there 12 for the 49er's 1.

San Diego would take a huge cap hit, but the cap hit today, is less than having a continual QB controversy. Ladanian likes Brees, it would be foolish to get rid of him. Rivers makes to much to be a back up, and if they can get that value for him (moving from 1 to 12 usually involves multiple first rounders) why not? They will have gained huge from trading Eli.

I think moving down to 12 would be easy for the 49ers, who could then take a position of need and improve 2 positions, instead of having to draft a QB who may not make an impact this year.

SB

actually i dont think it would cost any of the chargers 1st round picks... maybe a 2nd or 3rd to sweeten the deal but not any of their 1sts. Like was said b4 Rivers is more of a prospect than Rodgers or Smith so 49ers win anyways... they also dont get stuck paying a big signing bonus.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
actually i dont think it would cost any of the chargers 1st round picks... maybe a 2nd or 3rd to sweeten the deal but not any of their 1sts.  Like was said b4 Rivers is more of a prospect than Rodgers or Smith so 49ers win anyways... they also dont get stuck paying a big signing bonus.

Rivers was also drafted 4th overall. This is the #1 pick overall.

I could see either Rivers+12 for the #1, or Rivers+28 for the #1...I can't see just Rivers straight up for the #1.

I do find it interesting that the thought of San Diego moving up comes into play. I could see them moving up to anywhere in the top 4, and all 4 spots essentially guarantees them Braylon Edwards. I will also say that the only 2 that help the Bears would be San Diego moving up to 2 and 4.

It does not matter what Rivers could of been.

Edge > Rivers

S. Alexander > Rivers

P. Surtain > Rivers

And so on and so forth.

Each of these players at most is commanding a 2nd round pick, Ive heard the offer for Surtain is a 4.

Edge and Alexander would be top 10 picks in this draft, yet no one thinks they will get the value for them. And Rivers is the same way, when you are trading a player with huge salary numbers, you do not get value in return. That is why Rivers is at worth most a low 1st round pick, and I would say that most teams for Rivers would be willing to give a 2nd-3rd pick.

I personally do not think Rivers is that great compared to Rodgers or Smith, I think they are all about equal and would rate about the same. Last year Rivers was the 3rd QB in my opinion (Behind Manning and Roth) and I thought he should of gone in the late first round (if you compared him to the year before he was not as good as Palmer or Leftwich, probably would of gone below both Boller and Grossman).

You cant compare what they were drafted last year, with what they are worth this year. Rivers was worth much more last year than he is worth this year. Its just like a car, it depreciates once it leaves the lot, although had he played he could have improved his value.

SB

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 11:39 PM)
just because he was number 4 in last years draft doesnt mean he wouldnt be number 1 in this years.... Last years draft was a lot better and Eli Manning would of gone ahead of any of these QB's.

You can't prove that last year's draft was better. Both Rodgers and Smith have had very, very impressive workouts thus far, and both could turn into very good franchise QB's, and just as easily they could both fail at the next level. The same thing can be said for Manning, Rivers, and Losman, the other QB's taken in the first round(that really can't be said for Roethlisberger, and while he is not guaranteed to be very good his entire career, he was exactly what the Steelers needed last year...and starting off your career undefeated in the regular season, something like 14-0, and then only losing for the first time to the eventual Superbowl winner...is a decent start). You can't prove to me that Mike Williams and Braylon Edwards are going to be worse NFLers then Fitzgerald, Roy Williams, or Reggie Williams.

It can be agreed by thousands of experts that last year's draft class was deeper in talent overall, but that holds no ground in trade negotiations.

Rivers was the 4th overall pick last year(and if wanted, I could also make the argument that Rivers was not the 2nd best QB in that draft. I did think that Roethlisberger was the better QB...however, San Diego wanted Rivers, not Roethlisberger). The 1st overall pick is and always has been worth more then the 4th overall pick.

If San Diego were to want the #1 pick, I would think it would take atleast Rivers and 28 overall.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 29, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
Rivers was also drafted 4th overall.  This is the #1 pick overall. 

I could see either Rivers+12 for the #1, or Rivers+28 for the #1...I can't see just Rivers straight up for the #1. 

I do find it interesting that the thought of San Diego moving up comes into play.  I could see them moving up to anywhere in the top 4, and all 4 spots essentially guarantees them Braylon Edwards.  I will also say that the only 2 that help the Bears would be San Diego moving up to 2 and 4.

Actually since Rivers was traded to the #1 spot he got paid like he was the #1 pick.. according to what they were saying on draft day

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 30, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
Each of these players at most is commanding a 2nd round pick, Ive heard the offer for Surtain is a 4.

Your right, and its the biggest slap in the face ever...

a 4th for an elite CB?? Get the f*** outta here... this is why KC will never have a defense

If they could add a CB like Surtain, to a D that already added a very good LB in Bell and a ballhawk safety like Knight.. they would be in MUCH better shape than last year.. and with that offense they could make a SB run

a 4th for Surtain, come on... Im going to be laughing my ass off when Moss is burning them up and down the field 2X a year