Do you buy into the Lebron hype?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Do you buy into the Lebron hype?

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
MJ had to earn everything he got. He was criticized about his D in the mid to late 80's.

Jordan was All NBA First team defense every year he played from the 87-88 season to the 97-98 season. He was also Defensive Player Of The Year in 1987. He is arguably the greatest defensive SG of all time. I think that he's unquestionably the greatest defensive SG, but I won't leave myself open to criticism from someone who witnessed Walt Frazier. ;)

Edited by hammerhead johnson

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:21 PM)
Jordan was All NBA First team defense every year he played from the 87-88 season to the 97-98 season.  He was also Defensive Player Of The Year in 1987.  He is arguably the greatest defensive SG of all time.  I think that he's unquestionably the greatest defensive SG, but I won't leave myself open to criticism from someone who witnessed Walt Frazier. ;)

He Was the greatest defensive sg off all time. He was not getting credit for it though in his early seasons because his super explosive offense overshadowed it .

QUOTE(rangercal @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:27 PM)
He Was the greatest defensive sg off all time. He was not getting credit for it though in his early seasons because his super explosive offense overshadowed it .

You said that he was criticized about his D in the mid-to-late 80s, when in fact, knowledgeable NBA heads knew he was a great defensive player due primarily to his work ethic and his competitive nature. Remember, all of these NBA players have the physical skills. It's the little things that separate the champs from the chumps.

Also, overshadowed according to who, exactly? The dumbass media? The average NBA fan who just doesn't bring any ammunition to the table when discussing basketball?

Edited by hammerhead johnson

I've gotta disagree about Wade being a liability on D. He is 10th in the NBA in overall steals and 12th in steals per game. Yes I know steals aren't the only thing that matter, but he is very quick and has long arms. He's atleast an average defender and I would argue a plus defender.

We will see how well Lebron plays D when he's 23-24 when Jordan came into his own defensively. Is Lebron overhyped? Of course, he's the most hyped player in any sports history, atleast American history. Its impossible for Lebron to live up to the hype, he's supposed to be the greatest player of his generation, possibly of all time, anything short of that and he will be dissapointing to some. I don't think he will ever be the defensive force MJ was, just because Lebron has a much bigger body and can't be as quick as MJ. Nor do I think Lebron has the same attitude MJ does/did, which could limit his games potential.

You could make a case that Tiger Woods is quite overhyped at least for the past year or so, since until recently he'd been playing like crap.

Woods lived up to his hype though when he first entered, but he was also hyped up to be the greatest of all time. We'll see if he ends up being that or not.

Also, I've watched quite a few Cleveland games and I already think Lebron is a good defender as long as he's guarding SG's and SF's. If he's on a PG he doesn't have the quickness, but he can still harass them with his big body.

And I don't know if I saw it here, but someone said Deng can't play that good of defense? If so I've long said anyone that feels that way is nuts. He's pretty much as close to Iggy as it gets imo. Deng and him will both be all defensive players when things are over. I give Iggy the nod defensively while Deng gets the nod offensively.

You really couldn't complain about either, imo and both were great value picks.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:08 PM)
I've gotta disagree about Wade being a liability on D. He is 10th in the NBA in overall steals and 12th in steals per game. Yes I know steals aren't the only thing that matter, but he is very quick and has long arms. He's atleast an average defender and I would argue a plus defender.

He's an average defender at best and a liability in the playoffs IMO. Steals is one of the things I look at if we're talking about defense from a PG, but it's really just the tip of the iceberg. First off, is a guy consistent? Can he string together good defensive games? Can he stay on the ball and prevent his man from penetrating? What's his stamina like? How is he at anticipating a pass or sniffing out what the offense wants to do in a particular situation? Does he attempt too many steals in PG vs PG isolation? Can he sniff out screens? Can he defend the pick and roll? Can he defend on the fast break? Can he prevent his man from posting him up and getting an easy shot? Competitive fire? Etc, etc.

I look at all of these things and then some, and Dwyane Wade, well, he ain't no Jason Kidd.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
He's an average defender at best and a liability in the playoffs IMO.  Steals is one of the things I look at if we're talking about defense from a PG, but it's really just the tip of the iceberg.  First off, is a guy consistent?  Can he string together good defensive games?  Can he stay on the ball and prevent his man from penetrating?  What's his stamina like?  How is he at anticipating a pass or sniffing out what the offense wants to do in a particular situation?  Does he attempt too many steals in PG vs PG isolation?  Can he sniff out screens?  Can he defend the pick and roll?  Can he defend on the fast break?  Can he prevent his man from posting him up and getting an easy shot?  Competitive fire?  Etc, etc.

I look at all of these things and then some, and Dwyane Wade, well, he ain't no Jason Kidd.

Kidd is no Kirk Hinrich either. Defensively I take Captain Kirk over most every point guard, imo.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:23 PM)
Also, I've watched quite a few Cleveland games and I already think Lebron is a good defender as long as he's guarding SG's and SF's.  If he's on a PG he doesn't have the quickness, but he can still harass them with his big body. 

I agree about SFs and big SGs, but he's at a disadvantage against the prototypical 6'5 and 6'6 SGs in this league on defense. And if we're talking about small SGs, OMG, forget about it.

Like Rowand said, he's a Magic Johnson figure through and through. Now, you just gotta get him Worthy, Jabbar, Cooper, Green, Scott, etc. :D

Because the fun-and-gun could only work with a s***load of all-star caliber players. I much prefer a superb defensive squad like the 88-91 Pistons, 90s Bulls, 91-94 Knicks, modern day Spurs, Pistons, and pre-brawl Pacers, etc. I could tell from your posts that you feel the same way.

I nominate this for the worst thread ever.

Hype?

Are you kidding me?

Anyone who knows anything about the NBA knows that there are maybe four players in the league who are better than him and it can be successfully argued that he is the best player in the league.

There is no one who could've lived up to the expectations that were set on this guy.

He has in fact lived up to them as best as possible and has taken a team that lost its best inside player from last year to a possible playoff spot.

Give me a break on the not living up to the hype. If he was on the Bulls you'd be slurping him up.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
I nominate this for the worst thread ever.

Hype?

Are you kidding me?

Anyone who knows anything about the NBA knows that there are maybe four players in the league who are better than him and it can be successfully argued that he is the best player in the league.

There is no one who could've lived up to the expectations that were set on this guy.

He has in fact lived up to them as best as possible and has taken a team that lost its best inside player from last year to a possible playoff spot.

Give me a break on the not living up to the hype.  If he was on the Bulls you'd be slurping him up.

With all things considred OVERALL (Shooting, Defense, FT's, Assists) I think LeBron is the best player in the league by those standards

Shaq on the other.. (Pure Dominance)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:36 PM)
Kidd is no Kirk Hinrich either.  Defensively I take Captain Kirk over most every point guard, imo.

Since the 98-99 season, Jason Kidd has been All-NBA First Team Defense four times, and All-NBA Second Team twice. Him and glove are really the two that you ahve to look at over the past dozen years or so. Hinrich has a plus side with superior work ethic and basketball know-how, but the physical skills are lacking. Plus, he's not a PG, although he can defend them on the defensive end.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 09:49 PM)
With all things considred OVERALL (Shooting, Defense, FT's, Assists) I think LeBron is the best player in the league by those standards

Shaq on the other.. (Pure Dominance)

He is numero uno in the league if we're talking court vision. Three of the four categories you mentioned (shooting, assists, FTs) apply primarily to the backcourt. You can say that he's the best backcourt player in the league right now all things considered, and I might buy it.

Take away 90% of my brain power (of the 10% that I'm using) and I'm still taking KG and Duncan 365 days a year, 24/7 without even giving it a second thought.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
He is numero uno in the league if we're talking court vision.  Three of the four categories you mentioned (shooting, assists, FTs) apply primarily to the backcourt.  You can say that he's the best backcourt player in the league right now all things considered, and I might buy it.

Take away 90% of my brain power (of the 10% that I'm using) and I'm still taking KG and Duncan 365 days a year, 24/7 without even giving it a second thought.

LeBron didnt ask for Court Vision

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
On a sperate note, is it just me or is LeBrons jumper very mediocre?

I dont know about you but I dont think theres anything wrong with his jumper.. every time I see him play he has shot great

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 04:09 PM)
I dunno I obviously don't watch that many Cavs games but when they played the Bulls he was horrid with his jumper.

Ive seen a few on TNT and sometimes he hits these jumpers over people that just make me say wow.. how did he hit that??

Everytime Ive seen him on TV though hes been carrying the sorry ass Cavs on his back

Honestly though hammer, how many PG's do you see that can defend all those sets successfully? Kidd and Payton have been the gold standard so to speak, but you won't really find other point guards that have complete games. Wade has the ability and the stamina to join the All-Defensive teams before his days are over, he just has to work harder on that and his outside jumper, then he will be absolutely unstoppable.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 10:35 PM)
Honestly though hammer, how many PG's do you see that can defend all those sets successfully? Kidd and Payton have been the gold standard so to speak, but you won't really find other point guards that have complete games. Wade has the ability and the stamina to join the All-Defensive teams before his days are over, he just has to work harder on that and his outside jumper, then he will be absolutely unstoppable.

Yeah, good defensive PGs are very hard to come by in this league.

Wade has a lot of upside, but he has a looong way to go before he can be considered as a 1st or 2nd tier defender at PG IMO.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 07:15 PM)
Yep, I can agree with that.  :)

I just want him to develop a decent outside shot, that would be scary.

Yes, his 30 something percent jump shots scare no one. But when he is in the paint he is a freak.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Apr 9, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
Yeah, good defensive PGs are very hard to come by in this league.

Wade has a lot of upside, but he has a looong way to go before he can be considered as a 1st or 2nd tier defender at PG IMO.

So who exactly is ahead of him in these 1st and 2nd tiers of yours?

Not at least putting him in your "2nd tier" seems like you're devaluing his defense. I really don't see two tiers of current PG's in front of him at all...

Kidd has been dropping off this year too...