Wendelstedt v. Ozzie

Gene Honda Civic

I vaguely remember being critical of Ozzie last season for the altercation between the two, but I can't for the life of me remember what happened.

Oh and let's keep this one clean. The umps didn't cost us the game. Crede shoulda been wrung up on the pitch before. If you want to b**** about the Umps, go type in all caps in another post. This thread is for intelligent discourse.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:24 PM)
I vaguely remember being critical of Ozzie last season for the altercation between the two, but I can't for the life of me remember what happened. 

Oh and let's keep this one clean. The umps didn't cost us the game.  Crede shoulda been wrung up on the pitch before.  If you want to b**** about the Umps, go type in all caps in another post.  This thread is for intelligent discourse.

He's the guy Oz said wasn't a pimple on his fathers ass, which got him suspended. Then gun decked his report to the league so Ozzie called him a liar and got suspended again.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 10:24 PM)

Oh and let's keep this one clean. The umps didn't cost us the game.  Crede shoulda been wrung up on the pitch before.  If you want to b**** about the Umps, go type in all caps in another post.  This thread is for intelligent discourse.

I'm not sure what the history between them is but I'm just glad we are leaving Oakland, things just always seem to go wrong there. As for the Umps, I agree they didn't cost us the game but I don't think its right to take the game out of the players hands. The game is played between the lines not outside of them.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:26 PM)

Thanks ABoz...

They didn't cost the Sox the game, but both Crede and Ozzie got run earlier than any other player or manager would have.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
He's the guy Oz said wasn't a pimple on his fathers ass, which got him suspended.  Then gun decked his report to the league so Ozzie called him a liar and got suspended again.

Was this the one who was umping in the Cleveland series where Ozzie made that bullpen call and he called in the wrong guy? And then If I recall a fwe other things happened that series?

I just remember something happened and the two had a war of words. Its kind of odd because Ozzie tends to be pretty laid back in terms of arguing with the umps. Usually he just runs out and has a short talk with them, not today though.

QUOTE(valponick @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
I'm not sure what the history between them is but I'm just glad we are leaving Oakland, things just always seem to go wrong there.  As for the Umps, I agree they didn't cost us the game but I don't think its right to take the game out of the players hands.  The game is played between the lines not outside of them.

Remember the game where with the bases loaded early against Mulder it looked like Buehrle was going to get out of the jam on a routine pop up to 2nd and the ball got dropped scoring pretty much everyone.

Bad things happen in Oakland. I just hope the Sox leave that in Oakland and get back to playing fundementally sound baseball. Because up until Monday (minus that one game against Cleveland) I could safely say aside from their offensive woes (hitting for avg) that they were playing very fundemental baseball. They were pitching, playing defense (very few errors) and while the average wasn't there, they were getting guys in with less than 2 outs and runners on.

Last year, Ozzie had it out with Hunter after a blown call (as I recall, something with Carlos Lee). Hunter prepared a report for major league baseball and, as a result, Ozzie was suspended two games. After serving the first game of his suspension, Ozzie told the media that Wendelstedt lied in his report and that the facts presented to MLB were falsified.

This earned Ozzie a another 2 game suspension.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
I noticed the sausage king of Chicago is reading this thread.

Haha... nice catch. You are a well-versed Ferris Bueller fan for sure...

Anyway, I'm a lifetime sox fan who just discovered this site in the pre-season this year. I haven't posted anything really yet. I'd prefer to tread lightly, only making a few points here or there where appropriate.

Many of you seem to know each other. Anyway, I visit frequently and appreciate your insight. I may add a comment here or there...

Go Sox

Crede shoulda been wrung up on the pitch before.  If you want to b**** about the Umps, go type in all caps in another post.  This thread is for intelligent discourse.

If you want intelligent discourse, that's fine and I'm all for it.

Let's start with this premise, Kendall set up practically in the left handed batters box for the pitch you reference. And the pitcher threw it there. It was a good 6 inches outside. No way he should have been rung up on that pitch, and he wasn't.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
Haha... nice catch.  You are a well-versed Ferris Bueller fan for sure...

Anyway, I'm a lifetime sox fan who just discovered this site in the pre-season this year.  I haven't posted anything really yet.  I'd prefer to tread lightly, only making a few points here or there where appropriate. 

Many of you seem to know each other.  Anyway, I visit frequently and appreciate your insight.  I may add a comment here or there...

Go Sox

Welcome aboard :cheers

The league called Ozzie and said theyll be watching and will take action if the Sox pitchers throw at Oakland. That is complete bulls*** when you have 4 batters hit and they have none. Yeah the league should take action if the situation gets out of hand, but that is just baseball.

QUOTE(JimH @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:41 PM)
If you want intelligent discourse, that's fine and I'm all for it.

Let's start with this premise, Kendall set up practically in the left handed batters box for the pitch you reference.  And the pitcher threw it there.  It was a good 6 inches outside.  No way he should have been rung up on that pitch, and he wasn't.

Looked down the middle to me. We were all surprised in the chat room.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)
The league called Ozzie and said theyll be watching and will take action if the Sox pitchers throw at Oakland. That is complete bulls*** when you have 4 batters hit and they have none. Yeah the league should take action if the situation gets out of hand, but that is just baseball.

Make that six batters hit?

Edited by qwerty

Also just to add another point in this thread...un official related. The Sox needed to impliment some hit and runs when things weren't going right.

Teams all around baseball (minus the Angels) don't use the hit and run enough. Its a great thing, put your runners in motion, and have a righty or lefty pull it to where the 2nd baseman usually plays. It works beautifully especially when an offense is struggling, like the Sox were (and hitting into so many double plays). When things aren't going right, its not necessarily a bad idea to force the envelope when all you need is maybe 1 more run.

Plus you have Kendall behind the plate who is about as bad as it gets in terms of having an accurate arm. He's no Mike Piazza, but he's similar to Pyrz (whom I love) but would try and run on all the time considering the Sox have a few guys on this staff that couldn't hold on runners if there life depended on it.

Aside from that I'm happy they had a winning road trip and get to come back home, hopefully the off day gets the banged up players ready (but I have my doubts).

I saw this coming a year ago -- You can't complain about the umps when you taunt them like Ozzie did..

http://ss***men.blogspot.com/2004/08/south...loudmouths.html

"If we have trouble every time I see him ... good, I'll take the chance," Guillen said. "I don't like people when they lie. You are not a real man when you lie about something, especially when you write it down. That really bugs me."

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 02:44 PM)
Looked down the middle to me. We were all surprised in the chat room.

I never saw a replay. The pitch looked on the outside corner to me, but from the camera angle I saw you really didn't get a good view of the plate. All I could say was the pitcher hit Kendalls mit, although that camera angle made it darn near impossible to see the plate because of the dirt (that and I was watching it online).

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 05:43 PM)

do you know who specifically called him? that is horses***. how about taking action against these damn oakland pitchers. :angry:

I guess those umps are geat mind readers. Oakland hit 5 batters (one after a warning) but nobody gets tossed. The vibes must have said it was unintentional. Then Crede gets hit and the ump just knows he was leaning into it.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:24 PM)

That pitch to Joe was clearly around the outside corner, whatever though.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 27, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)
Also just to add another point in this thread...un official related.  The Sox needed to impliment some hit and runs when things weren't going right. 

Teams all around baseball (minus the Angels) don't use the hit and run enough.  Its a great thing, put your runners in motion, and have a righty or lefty pull it to where the 2nd baseman usually plays.  It works beautifully especially when an offense is struggling, like the Sox were (and hitting into so many double plays).  When things aren't going right, its not necessarily a bad idea to force the envelope when all you need is maybe 1 more run. 

Plus you have Kendall behind the plate who is about as bad as it gets in terms of having an accurate arm.  He's no Mike Piazza, but he's similar to Pyrz (whom I love) but would try and run on all the time considering the Sox have a few guys on this staff that couldn't hold on runners if there life depended on it. 

Aside from that I'm happy they had a winning road trip and get to come back home, hopefully the off day gets the banged up players ready (but I have my doubts).

I completely agree. I almost think the hit and run should be used everytime aaron's on first and aj's at the plate, that is an unbelievably perfect situation to use it, considering aj's a great contact hitter and aaron has good speed.

Here's an idea, instead of calling Ozzie and warning him about retaliating, why didn't the league make sure that this crew didn't work a Sox series given the history? I never complain about umpires, but GMs need to be able to have some say in these kinds of situations. Why not give GMs the ability to contact the league about bad calls, have the incidents reviewed and maybe take some disciplinary action against the umps? If other sports can challenge officials with replays, why are umps above scrutiny? I'm sure there are probably unions or all kinds of red tape that will keep this from happening, but c'mon, as it stands, the umps can do no wrong and even if they do, there's no penalty.

Side note: I feel good about the Sox, even with all the obstacles, they've battled and hung in every game. I think they'll come home, rest, regroup and stomp on the Tigers. This team IS a team of 'grinders'. We gotta let this series go.