Most Overrated Players

RockRaines

From Espn.com

Left field: Scott Podsednik

Calling Scott Podsednik overrated is like saying stunned fish in a barrel are easy targets. The former Brewers flash-in-the-pan at age 27 was grossly overhyped in 2003; his sophomore season was indicative of his true ability (.244 Avg, .313 OBP, .364 Slg). If Podsednik were a great fly catcher playing in a park with a cavernous center field, he might be worth starting. Except that he's only average-plus in the outfield and he's now been shifted to left field, where his balsa wood bat is not even close to adequate.

Kerry Wood also makes the list as the pitcher.

Edited by RockRaines

f*** ESPN. I watched baseball tonight for the first time this year last night, and all they did was rip on the Sox.

Kruk: "Iguchi's home run hits an empty seat. The ballparks are so much smaller in Japan, so he won't hit many more this year."

It was a cold April night against the KC Royals, why would you expect a big crowd? Gooch's park was huge in Japan.

Then they also put Buehrle on the webgems and made fun of it when they showed the clip and said that's not a webgem. f*** THEM.

Edit: apparently i missed the thread already made regarding the assholes on BBTN.

Edited by whitesoxin'

I read the same article. It almost feels like the guy was playing fantasy baseball and got upset at the guys that didn't produce for him. Most of these guys are very valuable to their teams and their respective teams would not have done as well without them. Most of the guys on his list are far from overrated. The only one I even agreed with was Guzman and possibly Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:15 PM)
No mentioned of the fact that he led the league in steals.  Whats his OBP this season thus far?

Average - 253

OBP - .352

His OBP is almost .100 points higher than his average. That's pretty good, especially with all the sacrifices, like the other guy said.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 4, 2005 -> 04:54 PM)
Average - 253

OBP - .352

His OBP is almost .100 points higher than his average.  That's pretty good, especially with all the sacrifices, like the other guy said.

And he has been sacrificing ABs all year to move runners over. I hate it when pundits just look at stats to determine a players worth. Pods is the definintion of intangible.

I have been totally satisfied with the play of Pods . Maybe having a 20-7 record helps. I'm just so very happy with that record I cant nitpick. It's been so long that the Sox have had a base stealer like Pods . You have to go back to Ron Leflore and Rudy Law. You can't really appreciate that skill unless you see it day in and day out.

He may not be hitting for avg. but he and Gooch seem like a perfect tandem at the top of the order. They are the epitome of teamwork.

I love the addition of Podsednik to the lineup. He just makes things happen near the top of the order. I think Iguchi and him could be a nice combo, similar to Pierre and Castillo (not saying Pods will hit .300, just has a similar style). If he can keep his average above .260 on the year he makes a major impact on the lineup (although I still miss Carlos a bit).

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ May 4, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
I love the addition of Podsednik to the lineup. He just makes things happen near the top of the order. I think Iguchi and him could be a nice combo, similar to Pierre and Castillo (not saying Pods will hit .300, just has a similar style). If he can keep his average above .260 on the year he makes a major impact on the lineup (although I still miss Carlos a bit).

I was going to say something in my post right before yours about me not liking this trade very much when it happened. I really liked Carlos. If sumone wants to get back at me they can do a thread on who liked or disliked the trade at the time it happened, just like I did on the Garland haters and lovers. :D