Gamethread 5/10/05

Ishmookie

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
The Twins have a better pitching staff for the simple reason of Joe Nathan while we have Shingo, I am staring to think by the end of May we are 2-3 behind the Twinkies.

I doubt that, our pitching and hitting haven't been on the same pace. We had 2 great winning streaks with bad hitting, if the hitting wakes up and I believe our pitching will be atleast decent, we should be ok.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 10, 2005 -> 08:36 PM)
The Twins have a better pitching staff for the simple reason of Joe Nathan while we have Shingo, I am staring to think by the end of May we are 2-3 behind the Twinkies.

Sadly, I feel the same way. This is a series that should've been a cakewalk. Ozzie sucks at tie ballgame situations. You bring in your stoppers(politte, marte, and hermanson) during the tie ballgame. Right now Shingo is looking like Byung yung Kim.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
I would be in favor of one of them getting benched once gload returns other wise there is not much of a point.

Qwerty, Gload will not be back. Thomas will take his place. I think this will happen.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:36 AM)

Twins have a better everything than the Sox. With Morneau back, their lineup is more dangerous than ever before. It will take the Sox continuing to find every possible way to win games in order to win this division.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
You guys tell me how the pitching should've been handled differently, other than Politte coming in instead of Vizcaino?

If he has Vizcaino coming in earlier than Politte it means he wants to save Politte for the later innings.

How many walks tonite, 9?  That's what killed them.

Maybe it's just me but i want to win the game now, not in extra innings. Put your best damn relievers out there when needed... not the scrubs we have. If you need to get out of a jam in the 8th inning put in your closer not your fourth best pitcher and hope for the best. Very few managers actually manage that way and i can't see why.

I can't believe how this game ended. Vizcaino with an ERA over 7, but Ozzie likes the guy. Shingo is a home run waiting on every throw. How many has he given up this year? Should Hermanson close or should we be trading for a closer? I don't see the consistency with Shingo or Viz and you don't know who is showing up the super closer or the super blower. You don't lose two games in a row to the Devil Rays.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)
You guys tell me how the pitching should've been handled differently, other than Politte coming in instead of Vizcaino?

If he has Vizcaino coming in earlier than Politte it means he wants to save Politte for the later innings.

Jim I would rather not see shingo in any game that is tied or we are up by one run. He blows, and I want him gone.

Guest JimH
Why the hell was shingo in there when you have Hermanson and Pollite left on the bench? Its a proven fact Shingo needs at LEAST a 2 run cushion to work with. Safe to say that Ozzie lost this one. WTF!! :angry:

What about the 9 walks?

Although I can see Politte or Hermanson for the 9th. I didn't know Shingo was the mop up guy yet, maybe he should be.

As long as Ozzie continues to use Shingo in save situations or close games, we're going to have a lot more trouble. In a way, I'm happy that we lost this game tonight. Maybe Ozzie will find out which relievers just don't have it this season, and which ones do.

QUOTE(quickman @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:39 PM)
Qwerty, Gload will not be back. Thomas will take his place. I think this will happen.

No way, gload is more valuable to this team than walker and timo is ( timo fans will never admit it).

Guest JimH
Jim I would rather not see shingo in any game that is tied or we are up by one run. He blows, and I want him gone.

As I stated I can see Politte or Hermanson for the 9th.

It was not a save situation and Shingo was out there, what does that tell you? He's not the closer but Guillen won't say that.

What other way should the pitching have been handled tonite? They walked 9 guys.

Guest JimH
The fact of the matter is that these are our relievers and this was a s***ty team.  The guys that were put in had to get the job done, regardless of the order or situation.

Yes I agree. Cotts was the best and he gave up the big double to a left handed hitter. Everyone did not perform to expectations.

QUOTE(qwerty @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:42 AM)
No way, gload is more valuable to this team than walker and timo is ( timo fans will never admit it).

Qwerty, I am not trying to get under your skin, I am betting gload deosn't come back and thomas takes his place lets just see what happens.

I am really starting to grow tired of our 3-6 hitters Everett never takes a walk and always seems to hit little squibbers ground outs. Konerko pops up or strikes out, who knows about Die or Rowand. If they dont step up their game this race will be over by August.

Guest JimH
Qwerty, I am not trying to get under your skin, I am betting gload deosn't come back and thomas takes his place lets just see what happens.

We have talked about this, the other factor is Gload is a long way from being healthy. He has had very few at bats and likely will need a minor league rehab assignment ... at the very least.

I also think they will trade for another role player and KW is looking very hard at Shingo's role.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
As I stated I can see Politte or Hermanson for the 9th.

It was not a save situation and Shingo was out there, what does that tell you?  He's not the closer but Guillen won't say that.

What other way should the pitching have been handled tonite?  They walked 9 guys.

Just keep that s***ty trick pitcher away from my team. I literally hate his face.they will lose again tommrrow and thursday. they will win friday, lose saturday and win sunday.By next tuesday they will be out of first place.

Guest JimH

Still looking for a volunteer to say exactly how they would've handled the relievers better.

As donkeykongerko and Alizee pointed out, the order was Cotts, Vizcaino, Marte, Takatsu. That's a pretty normal progression, at least based on their roles up to this point.

The relievers, and the starter, did not get the job done. 9 walks.

You are right Jim the 7 walks by Contreras didn't help, but Cotts, Vizciano and Marte all walked there share as well. Walks bit us in the ass tonite. Go figure- when our offense shows some life- the pitching sucks.

More Bad news: Twins won so we are now only 3.5 games up.

On a possitive we are still 3-2 on this road trip and can still come home with a 4-2 record. Good news is- we don't have to think about this bitter loss too much as tommorow's game is an afternoon one.

BIG GAME tommorow! Avoid being swept at all causes! Especially vs a division bottom dweller.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 10, 2005 -> 09:44 PM)
Yes I agree.  Cotts was the best and he gave up the big double to a left handed hitter.  Everyone did not perform to expectations.

Vizcaino should have faced the lefty. Vicaino can get lefties out and cotts, well, not so much.

QUOTE(JimH @ May 11, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)

I think that says enough right there Jim! I have always been concerned about the bullpen. We have some real good relief pitchers, but then we have some real inconsistent ones too. I think we need a trade for a real closer. That is the one weakness I see with this team. But, it's only two losses, granted we shouldn't be losing to TB, but the damn Yankees did too. Hopefully Shingo and Viz get it together and our big boppers start producing on a regular basis. We can't continue blowing leads like we have lately.