A Sox trade brewing....

beck72

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:45 PM)
If it was this past weekend, Birmingham was playing West Tennessee, a Cub affiliate. Levine has said the Cubs were close to a trade. Bruce Wolf mentioned this morning the Cubs may be going after Wagner and Polanco. These Phillies scouts may have been scouting Cub prospects.

Did Tracey pitch against West Tenn? I'm not sure.

As far as the Cubs trading with Phil, they don't need Polanco. They have Walker coming back at 2b. By all accounts, SS is Polanco's 3rd best IF spot. And Wagner won't be going anywhere until the Phils are completely out of it, near the deadline.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:53 PM)
mora.jpg

Playoffs?  We can't even win a fricking series on the west coast and this guy is talking about the playoffs?  Playoffs?

:lolhitting

I guess the team with the best record in baseball shouldn't be looking toward a possible playoff birth :bang Getting a guy like Polanco would help the sox win games during the regular season AND the playoffs

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ May 24, 2005 -> 03:51 PM)
Fellas, go back one page and read Dick Allen's post.

Except most reports have the Cubs getting a reliever and a power hitting, lh batter from a NL team. More likely Reds/ Mets than Phillies.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:02 AM)
Does anyone think with Houston sucking so bad that they might give up Morgan Enesberg.

He would be a solid pickup

Bad teams don't want to deal young cheap players. They want to deal expensive old players. The guy most likely to be dealt out of Houston is Roger Clemens, and then MAYBE Biggio, if he wanted to go. But that is about it. They aren't going to be dealing guys like Oswalt, Lidge, etc.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:14 PM)
Bad teams don't want to deal young cheap players.  They want to deal expensive old players.  The guy most likely to be dealt out of Houston is Roger Clemens, and then MAYBE Biggio, if he wanted to go.  But that is about it.  They aren't going to be dealing guys like Oswalt, Lidge, etc.

Who could really afford Clemens this year? He's making too much, I don't think he's going anywhere.

The way people talk around here, you'd think the Astros we're dying to get rid of Lidge.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ May 24, 2005 -> 12:15 PM)
How about Polanco and Howard?  Howard may be off the trade list because of Thome's back, but there's your 1B next year when Konerko doesn't resign.

I'd have to change my pants if that happened. Luckily for my pants, there's not much of a chance that it will.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:16 AM)
Who could really afford Clemens this year?  He's making too much, I don't think he's going anywhere.

The way people talk around here, you'd think the Astros we're dying to get rid of Lidge.

Keep in mind, when we get to the end of July the season is more than half over. That means a team isn't paying $18 million for Clemens but more like $7 or 8 million.

And I totally agree with the last line of your post. There is no way Lidge gets dealt, unless a GM offers an obsence amout of players for him.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:20 AM)
Keep in mind, when we get to the end of July the season is more than half over.  That means a team isn't paying $18 million for Clemens but more like $7 or 8 million. 

Also keep in mind that there's a clause in Clemens's contract that stipulates that if he's traded from the Astros, he's owed another $3 million. So if a team wants him they're not paying 7 or 8 million, they're paying like $11 million.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 24, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
Also keep in mind that there's a clause in Clemens's contract that stipulates that if he's traded from the Astros, he's owed another $3 million.  So if a team wants him they're not paying 7 or 8 million, they're paying like $11 million.

So .. would Houston eat 3 million to save 8 million?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
If it was this past weekend, Birmingham was playing West Tennessee, a Cub affiliate. Levine has said the Cubs were close to a trade. Bruce Wolf mentioned this morning the Cubs may be going after Wagner and Polanco. These Phillies scouts may have been scouting Cub prospects.

I doubt the Cubs would want Polanco. With Todd Walker coming back, the only position where Polanco would get some burn is SS, and Neifi Perez is actually having a pretty decent season. As far as Wagner, the Phillies are still only 6.5 games back. Don't think they would give up their closer at this point.

Guest JimH
I doubt the Cubs would want Polanco. With Todd Walker coming back, the only position where Polanco would get some burn is SS, and Neifi Perez is actually having a pretty decent season. As far as Wagner, the Phillies are still only 6.5 games back. Don't think they would give up their closer at this point.

I don't know, I think the Cubs would definitely have an interest in Polanco. He can hit and he can take over a bunch of time at SS and give Ramirez a break at 3B. Ramirez has been gimpy all year and it looks like an ongoing problem. And there's no question they'd be interested in Wagner. I agree it'd be curious to see the Phils give up on Wagner, seeing as it's still pretty early.

The Phils would love to trade Polanco, he's been b****ing about lots of things lately and he doesn't seem to fit in.

The bigger question is, who do the Cubs give up ... if I were the Phils scouts, I'm looking at that West Tenn AA team ... which they are.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ May 24, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)

Yes, Very good point They are a loaded team prospect wise, And I think they stumbled on Tracey who Threw so well, I SERIOUSLY doub't Tracey was there main interest