GAME THREAD 5-27-2005 SOX VS RANGERS

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:30 PM)
:banghead

I'm sorry I dare point out a flaw of a first place team, after all everything is perfect when you have a good record.

Nope, not perfect but when you have the best record in the league obviously we don't have as many flaws as some people believe. You yourself have said that you're the first person to overreact and you know your about as pessimistic as they come, they're going to be fine willie, absolutely fine. You know it, you just won't let yourself believe it yet.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ May 27, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Nope, not perfect but when you have the best record in the league obviously we don't have as many flaws as some people believe.  You yourself have said that you're the first person to overreact and you know your about as pessimistic as they come, they're going to be fine willie, absolutely fine.  You know it, you just won't let yourself believe it yet.

For some reason I can't tell myself the offense will be fine after watching AJ, Carl, Dye, Crede, Uribe, etc over the past couple games, weeks, etc.

Maybe it's just me?

And yes for those of you scoring at home I used etc. twice in 1 sentence

Edited by WHarris1

Guest JimH
:banghead

I'm sorry I dare point out a flaw of a first place team, after all everything is perfect when you have a good record.

I agree on the offense but I don't see a major trade. Frank coming back will mean the opposition pitchers will work more, we will have a guy who gets on base at a pretty good clip and he'll add some power. So he'll be a fairly substantial addition, even if he's not the Frank of old. And it could happen as soon as next week.

Believe me, KW is thinking of ways to improve. If they can get a pesky Catalanatto type hitter (not saying him, he isn't available), it would help.

:D

QUOTE(JimH @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:28 PM)
I like your style.  Post more often.

thanks jim. and also i would like to add is i'm getting to old to get pissed off at every loss. if i did i would have a heart attack. i know most of the people posting are young and get pissed i can understand that. and if we do win a world series soon somebody would b**** about something. ok im done now back to my reading. :D

It would be nice if they decide to take this approach from the start of the game instead of making this mad dash effort at the end. Its nice to see them string some hits together, and it was nice to finally see them hit oppo considering that EVERY SINGLE TEAM pitches them outside all the time.

Take this and learn from it.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 27, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
I hope El Duque will be ready for his next start and that will be McCarthy's last start of this season.

not being rude here. just wanna make a point. against the cubs bmac was great and tonight the young 21 year old pitcher making his second start should go away and eat s***. amazing stuff.

Disappointing pitching performance from McCarthy.

For once, I'd like to witness a minor league prospect perform immediately. It looks terrible on our organization when our top rated pitcher surrenders 4 HR/6ER. For all the hype he's received, you'd think he'd string together two quality outtings.

I'm not giving up on him, but he does need further work developing his changeup. While his curveball is great, a straight 90mph fastball won't fool many big league hitters if there's no offspeed pitch to offset it.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ May 27, 2005 -> 09:47 PM)
not being rude here. just wanna make a point. against the cubs bmac was great and tonight the young 21 year old pitcher making his second start should go away and eat s***. amazing stuff.

Don't you know you're only as good as your next start? :P

i might be the first to say this but you cant react after one bad start, look at odalis perez for example, guy was a stud at the beginning of the year and everyone loved him, now hes doing not so hot and on the dl

mccarthy needed to get shaken up a bit to bring himself down to earth, overall he faced a good hitting team and there is nothing you can say about that and he was in a hitters park, by no means was this his fault, we should have hit young and scored more runs. Mccarthy will get another chance and make us proud, trust me

The Cubs' offense is horrible. They are mostly composed of all-or-nothing homerun hitters. McCarthy pitched well that day but the Cubs' offense can make any pitcher look good, hence Jason Jennings' start yesterday versus the Cubs.

Edited by Jabroni

Constantly when people bring up the offense being bad, people keep saying well they will come out of it, we have the best record in baseball. We have had a wonderful start, however review the record a bit closer. Check out over the last 2 weeks our record since the Jays series. We are playing 500 ball. We can state that we have faced the most wonderful pitching since Cy Young was born, but in reality we have a bunch of struggling hitters. We are no longer facing the Royals, Tigers and other crappy pitching. They are having problems stringing hits together, the swing at bad pitches and take good ones for strikes. Entire parts of our offense are broken. In May we see that when players like Dye and Konerko start to show signs of life, I guess batting 250 in may is signs of life, we have others that completely drop off the face of the earth. I understand that we have streaky hitters, but we shouldnt have groups of guys hitting lower than 200 for a month. The twins are 4 games behind us, not 10 games. If we go on a bad clip for just a few games we are in second place. So resting on the record isnt a good thing. Our pitching has been outstanding, but Freddy Garcia made it clear that he loved getting run support early. It let him pitch freely. Not having to worry that if he makes one mistake the game is in peril. Our pitchers deserve better. The effort and the record they have put out there is unfathomable. They have not lost a clip facing these good teams. But our offense has mailed it in. Then to top it off, they string a few hits by hitting the other way in the 9th. If they take this approach when the guy is painting the outside corner in the 3rd inning with men on instead of waiting until the 9th against the closer they may have better results. Last year we watched as our offense would shut down for a few games and then explode. This offense struggles to score runs. We need to address this. If we start to produce just a bit better at the 3-4-5 hole we will have another 8 game win streak or more. Our pitching has raised the bar, our hitters need to keep up.

BTW, What was with this lineup tonight. Uribe and his free swinging no contact making below 200 BA in may hitting in the 2 hole. Then Everett in the number 3 hole. This was very much a Sunday lineup from Jerry Manuel.

I didn't have the pleasure of watching tonight's game, so I read through this entire game thread. It gives me a reasonably good idea of how things went, above and beyond the final score. Tonight was, from what I can tell, a case of the Sox going though the motions.

Things appear to be somewhat bleak at this point. Those that are preaching our hitting leaves a lot to be desired are 100% correct. I don't know why these guys cannot grasp the fact that if you look to go up the middle and to the opposit field as a rule, you'll be more successful. Sure, you can pick your pitches and take your shot at turning on one, but that should be an exception.

However, there are some other points I want to make here. We are 8 games into a 10 game road trip and are currently 4-4. We have our best two pitcher's going in the final 2 games of the series, so that is set up nicely. Let's look at the games we have lost on this trip.

Game 3 vs. the Cubs. ..... We had a AAA starter going after taking the first 2 games of the series.

Game 1 vs. LAA ..... No off days and a flight from Chicago to LA sandwiched in between the two games. Jetlag. It does have a very real effect.

Game 4 vs. LAA ..... Got beat due to one bad pitch. We should have scored more runs, but this was just a good game between two good teams.

Game 1 vs, Texas ..... AAA pitcher and a 5 a.m. arrival time. Lethargy ruled.

The Cubs aren't great but LAA and TEX were both 1st place teams when we arrived in the respective cities. All in all this has not been a bad road trip.