Summer Reading Club.

Rex Kickass

So what are you reading and why? Also, what do you like about it?

I'm currently reading "Travelling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith" by Anne Lamotte, and "A People's History of the United States" by Howard Zinn.

I just finished "Beijing Doll" by Chun Sue. It's an interesting story about a teenage punk rock chick in China growing up. Actually, it's not very good but it was a free book.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After work, I'm going to go to the library to pick up some trashy reads.

Most notable: The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullum. I'm been rewatching the miniseries, and for some reason feel the burning desire to read the book.

Also working on:

Bodily Harm--Margaret Atwood

Random books by Agatha Christie and Ian Rankin.

Summer reading goal: read Crime and Punishment

Just finished reading Lies and the Lying Liars that Tell Them by Al Franken and Diary by Chuck Palahniuk. Both good, but Diary was not as good as I thought it would be. Taking suggestions for others to read...

QUOTE(soxman352000 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Real intresting I like all the characters, but it is a little long for me

You might love Sweet Tuesday (or is it Thursday) or Cannery Row. Steinbeck was at his best when writing about California.

Been reading a lot over summer:

So far, I've read "How to Talk Dirty and Influence People" by Lenny Bruce (his autobiography), "The Trials of Lenny Bruce" by Ronald Collins & David Skover (his many obscenity trials and what he got arrested for), "Preacher" by Garth Ennis (comic book series about a preacher who meets up with his ex-girlfriend and a drunken Irish vampire to confront God for his flawed creation with lots of side plots), "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk (a childrens' poem book has a poem that may be causing whomever hears it to die so a journalist tries to test the theory etc.)

Right now I'm reading "Songs of the Doomed" by Hunter Thompson.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:47 PM)
Been reading a lot over summer:

So far, I've read "How to Talk Dirty and Influence People" by Lenny Bruce (his autobiography), "The Trials of Lenny Bruce" by Ronald Collins & David Skover (his many obscenity trials and what he got arrested for), "Preacher" by Garth Ennis (comic book series about a preacher who meets up with his ex-girlfriend and a drunken Irish vampire to confront God for his flawed creation with lots of side plots), "Lullaby" by Chuck Palahniuk (a childrens' poem book has a poem that may be causing whomever hears it to die so a journalist tries to test the theory etc.)

Right now I'm reading "Songs of the Doomed" by Hunter Thompson.

After reading another book about Bruce and his childhood (not autobiographical) I found out that he made up a lot of that stuff in HTTD&IP about having to steal money to get lunch at school etc. Turns out his dad spoiled him, gave him everything he wanted and more. But that doesn't make for as good a story. :huh

QUOTE(Spiff @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 10:50 AM)
After reading another book about Bruce and his childhood (not autobiographical) I found out that he made up a lot of that stuff in HTTD&IP about having to steal money to get lunch at school etc.  Turns out his dad spoiled him, gave him everything he wanted and more.  But that doesn't make for as good a story. :huh

Spiff, what's the title of that book? Cuz I'd like to check it out.

And yeah -- HTTD&IP was pretty out there a lot of the times but there were the hilarious parts like how he got out of service in World War II after serving for a while. :lol:

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
Spiff, what's the title of that book?  Cuz I'd like to check it out.

And yeah -- HTTD&IP was pretty out there a lot of the times but there were the hilarious parts like how he got out of service in World War II after serving for a while.  :lol:

I think it was called Ladies and Gentlemen--Lenny Bruce!. There's a lot of detail on his childhood and stuff, interviews with his father. It was pretty good, I can't remember whether I finished it but there's some interesting stuff in there.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
So far I only have one book in the queue and thats:

Real Money: Sane Investing in an Insane World by Jim Cramer.

Ever watch that guy on CNBC?

I think he's gonna pop an artery or have a cardiac every five minutes.

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)

Is he the one who runs around the studio yelling like he hears a voice in his head?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 11:41 AM)
Jane Eyre....  :headshake  :sleep

Damn AP English, but I'll get through it.

I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it......

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

The Antichrist by Friedrich Nietzsche

Crime and Punihsment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

I'm a big fan of C&P. One f***ed up book....

QUOTE(winodj @ Jun 1, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)

I turned on MSNBC for a couple of minutes yesterday and that guy was on. That guy should be a WWE announcer.