My first trip to The Cell

FlaCWS

I've mentioned this before... but I just jumped on the Sox bandwagon last season. I'm a NY fan except for baseball, and last year I started traveling to Chicago every couple of months and became interested in the Sox.

Anyway... I finally got my first chance to see a home game when I was in town last week. I totally lucked out because I went on Memorial day, which happened to be Frank's first game back, and it was a beautiful day with a packed house.

I was extremely impressed with the stadium. It was way nicer than I even thought it would be, and it was so easy to get there on the red line from downtown (I got on at Washington).

I don't get why people bash our stadium. The crap about there being nothing to do around the stadium is just that... crap. There's not much to do around either of the NY stadiums, and the same is true in Philly. I guess people compare it to 'Wrigleyville' but that's not fair. It's easy to get to the Cell, and it's easy to hop back on the red line after a game and hang out downtown. I have no problem with the location.

I sat in right field, about halfway between 1B and the foul pole. I was only two rows from the very back of the section (lower level) but the view was great. I walked around a lot in centerfield during the game since it was such a nice day.

I only had two complaints:

1. They need to put some "counter space" around the lower level, especially in the centerfield walkway. What I mean is that you need a place where people can put their food and drink down while standing and watching the game. They have this at Citizens Bank Park in Philly, and I think at Camden Yards also. The Sox can easily do this, and it would make the centerfield area even better.

2. The music was a little too much for my taste. There's something to be said for natural crowd noise, and for giving the fans a chance to think and actually have a conversation in between pitches. The Sox are certainly not alone in this, as it's a disturbing trend throughout all sports.

Overall, I had a great time at the Cell. I thought it was going to be ruined when Marte blew the lead, but Timo made up for it with a thrilling walkoff base-hit.

I look forward to going back the next time I'm in town, which I think will be mid August.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 08:50 PM)
Overall, I had a great time at the Cell. I thought it was going to be ruined when Marte blew the lead, but Timo made up for it with a thrilling walkoff base-hit.

I look forward to going back the next time I'm in town, which I think will be mid August.

Hopefully Timo isnt on the team next time your in town :chair

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 01:50 AM)
I've mentioned this before... but I just jumped on the Sox bandwagon last season. I'm a NY fan except for baseball, and last year I started traveling to Chicago every couple of months and became interested in the Sox.

Anyway... I finally got my first chance to see a home game when I was in town last week. I totally lucked out because I went on Memorial day, which happened to be Frank's first game back, and it was a beautiful day with a packed house.

I was extremely impressed with the stadium. It was way nicer than I even thought it would be, and it was so easy to get there on the red line from downtown (I got on at Washington).

I don't get why people bash our stadium. The crap about there being nothing to do around the stadium is just that... crap. There's not much to do around either of the NY stadiums, and the same is true in Philly. I guess people compare it to 'Wrigleyville' but that's not fair. It's easy to get to the Cell, and it's easy to hop back on the red line after a game and hang out downtown. I have no problem with the location.

I sat in right field, about halfway between 1B and the foul pole. I was only two rows from the very back of the section (lower level) but the view was great. I walked around a lot in centerfield during the game since it was such a nice day.

I only had two complaints:

1. They need to put some "counter space" around the lower level, especially in the centerfield walkway. What I mean is that you need a place where people can put their food and drink down while standing and watching the game. They have this at Citizens Bank Park in Philly, and I think at Camden Yards also. The Sox can easily do this, and it would make the centerfield area even better.

2.  The music was a little too much for my taste. There's something to be said for natural crowd noise, and for giving the fans a chance to think and actually have a conversation in between pitches. The Sox are certainly not alone in this, as it's a disturbing trend throughout all sports.

Your idea #1 is awesome. Someone please send it to BOyer.....anyone have his address?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 05:53 PM)
Your idea #1 is awesome. Someone please send it to BOyer.....anyone have his address?

It should be on the letter to Brooks thread that is pinned on the main page.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 4, 2005 -> 11:05 PM)
How would you rate it among the parks you have been to?

Honestly, I would put it right there with the best ones. My personal favorites are Fenway, Yankee, Camden and the new place in Philly. I'd put the Cell a notch below those, but it's certainly better than Shea or Wrigley (yes, I mean that. Wrigley's neighborhood is great, but the stadium itself is kind of crappy IMO). The only other place I've been is the Marlins' Stadium down here, which is more of a football stadium than baseball, so it doesn't even belong in the discussion.

I think for security reasons they ruled out the counter space idea around the concourse. They prefer to keep those people moving rather than standing still. It's one of the reasons why they built the skills center there as well as the CF deck. They are trying to reduce the number of people who just stand around the concourse in LF & RF.

I don't see any problem though putting the counter space near the washrooms, the shower, & the other stop gaps on the far end of the concourse.

I really believe that if Wrigley Field did not exist the Cell would sell out every night. It's one of the best places to watch a game & according to most players one of the best places to play the game. Cosmetically I would like it to add some brick facing both on the outside & around the concourse to give it a more retro look. But I think the completion of the pine forest green seats is going to drastically change the overall feel & appearance of the park. They never should have opted for LAD blue.

QUOTE(Stocking @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 09:10 PM)
sat in 158 today, leftfield.  throw it back chants were loud, god i hate casual fans.

Yeah, I hate that too. I guess all you can do is try to correct people and tell them that we don't do that here.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 5, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
It's time for Uncle Jerry to call in some of his connections.

;)  :bang

Like Mayor Daley. He's good at bulldozing things in the middle of the night.