Bobby Jenks to Chicago??

BHAMBARONS

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 06:29 AM)
It's not really for the fact that they're both LHH's (although I think it helps because we really do struggle against RHP). I'm just planning ahead if Konerko isn't here next season, and the Sox don't sign a replacement like Doug Mientkiewicz, J.T Snow or Scott Hatteberg. Of course there's Frank Thomas as well, and if he doesn't come back, that opens up the DH spot for a guy like Erubiel Durazo, or even Brian Anderson.

Not to hijack this thread, but what the hell would they DH Brian Anderson for? I'd DH Rowand, Pods or Dye before Anderson, sheesh.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Not to hijack this thread, but what the hell would they DH Brian Anderson for?  I'd DH Rowand, Pods or Dye before Anderson, sheesh.

I've never seen Anderson play but does he really play better defense than Rowand who is a top 5 defensive CFer in my book.

Edited by WHarris1

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I've never seen Anderson play but does he really play better defense than Rowand who is a top 5 defensive CFer in my book.

I'd rather have Pods or Dye out of there before putting Anderson at DH, but he and Rowand (who has markedly improved over the past 24 months from BAD to above-average) are about equivalent. Anderson IMO is faster aand covers more ground. I'd rather have an OF or Rowand/Anderson/Dye... who the hell would run on that group?

Pods gets to a lot of balls and he's better glove-wise than I expected, but DAMN if I'm not tired of seeing guys take an extra base on every fly ball, even the shallow ones...

When Anderson gets called up he should be CF and Rowand should move to RF.... that would probably lead to Dye being the DH if Frank isnt resigned... and watching Dye in the field this year that could be a real good thing.

I could actually see us keeping Frank, saying goodbye to Konerko, and seeing if Dye can play 1st base.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
When Anderson gets called up he should be CF and Rowand should move to RF.... that would probably lead to Dye being the DH if Frank isnt resigned... and watching Dye in the field this year that could be a real good thing.

Rowand is second in baseball zone rating this year and was first all of last year. Zone rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone. Rowand ever moves from center field for practically anyone the white sox are f***ed up. I can't envision anderson being a better center fielder than rowand... rowand is one of the best outfielders in the game and this is not being biased.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
Rowand is second in baseball zone rating this year and was first all of last year. Zone rating is the percentage of balls fielded by a player in his typical defensive zone. Rowand ever moves from center field for practically anyone the white sox are f***ed up. I can't envision anderson being a better center fielder than rowand... rowand is one of the best outfielders in the game and this is not being biased.

Gotta love defensive stats... :bang

Agreed, I think Anderson plays RF when he is called up.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:33 AM)
Agreed, I think Anderson plays RF when he is called up.

It's pretty pointless discussing this now, because where they hell is he going to play? Carl's contract is up after this year and the rest of the starting OF is all signed for 2006...

So, barring major injury or trade, where is he going to play?

I don't mind seeing Dye tried at 1st, but the number of balls that get under his glove in RF scares me, LOL! :lol:

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Can't you see with your own eyes how much ground rowand covers compared to other outfielders around the league? I know i can.

You said yourself you've never seen Brian Anderson play. I love the way Rowand has turned himself into an above-average defensive player in CF after he looked like a lost boy there his first couple of years. I really don't care either way, but IMO Anderson is the better athlete and is bigger/faster. Like I said, it's a toss-up in my book, and Rowand is more suited for a corner OF spot, IMO, meaning I would play Anderson in CF and put Rowand in LF or RF depending on what you did with Dye.

However, Pods' game is running and getting on-base and as long as he is here, how can you put him on the bench as a DH? That's the best way I can think of to get him hurt. He needs to be out there, staying loose, IMO, but his weak arm is frustrating.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
You said yourself you've never seen Brian Anderson play.  I love the way Rowand has turned himself into an above-average defensive player in CF after he looked like a lost boy there his first couple of years.  I really don't care either way, but IMO Anderson is the better athlete and is bigger/faster.  Like I said, it's a toss-up in my book, and Rowand is more suited for a corner OF spot, IMO, meaning I would play Anderson in CF and put Rowand in LF or RF depending on what you did with Dye.

However, Pods' game is running and getting on-base and as long as he is here, how can you put him on the bench as a DH?  That's the best way I can think of to get him hurt.  He needs to be out there, staying loose, IMO, but his weak arm is frustrating.

I didn't say i have never seen him play. I have not seen him play as often as others but i have seen him play. Also i agree 100% with podsednik... i am also sick of all those balls he misreads. In other words all of those ball that either go over his head or drop in front of him.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:35 PM)
I dont think he is really down on the guy,  Its just that since he posts here some posters make him out to be a future stud....

I like him but not as much as some posters seem to go on and on about him.

See, that's the thing. I think, even Baj's biggest backers have never said that he's going to be a stud. I'd like you to find for me where someone from ST said that Baj is the second coming of Gagne, because I surely don't recall it. The Baj backers just think that's he's done all that he can do at Charlotte -- and that's true, he dominated Charlotte last year, and is doing the exact same thing this year. Unfortunately, it seems that Ozzie knows everything about a guy on just 8 IP.

And, Baj doesn't have good stuff? He's struck out over 11 guys per nine IP over his minor league career, so he must be doing something right...

And I agree with Randar -- Podsednik gets piss poor reads on flyballs. He takes some real poor routes... Luckily he's got that speed to make up for (most) of it.

If Marte goes to the DL than I don't have a problme with this. Jenks is the best relieving prospect in the system and while I think Baj is just deserving if the Sox feel more confident in Bobby and feel that his attitude is right than I can definately see giving him a shot.

See, that's the thing.  I think, even Baj's biggest backers have never said that he's going to be a stud.  I'd like you to find for me where someone from ST said that Baj is the second coming of Gagne, because I surely don't recall it.  The Baj backers just think that's he's done all that he can do at Charlotte -- and that's true, he dominated Charlotte last year, and is doing the exact same thing this year.  Unfortunately, it seems that Ozzie knows everything about a guy on just 8 IP.

And, Baj doesn't have good stuff?  He's struck out over 11 guys per nine IP over his minor league career, so he must be doing something right...

And I agree with Randar -- Podsednik gets piss poor reads on flyballs.  He takes some real poor routes...  Luckily he's got that speed to make up for (most) of it.

Keith, right now the Sox don't have room for Bajenaru or anyone else. I suspect that will change soon. This board can sit here and say Shingo sucks or Vizcaino sucks and to an extent some of that may be true.

But there will be 11 pitchers on the staff and at the moment there are 11 guys healthy enough to be active. If the issue here is Jenks over Bajenaru, I tend to agree on the surface, Bajenaru deserves the shot 1st. We aren't privy to how well both are throwing at the moment, so there may be some intagibles in terms of their performance. Personally I'd like to see another power arm in the bullpen but the key is who's better equipped to succeed here? One would think Bajenaru because his maturity level is probably better.

But I will say this, there is something very enticing about Jenks and that true closer stuff he has. It would be interesting to let him get his feet wet, they can always send him back down. The way he's progressing he has a good chance to be a dominant guy at the back of the bullpen.

To me, Baj is a guy who can fill the Politte or Vizcaino role. He is showing he can close games at AAA but maybe it's a personal bias for me, I like the closer to have overwhelmingly good stuff. I saw them both in spring training when Jenks was nowhere near 100% but you could really see the talent. Not to say Bajenaru doesn't but Jenks' talent jumps right out at you.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 01:36 PM)
Keith,  right now the Sox don't have room for Bajenaru or anyone else.  I suspect that will change soon.  This board can sit here and say Shingo sucks or Vizcaino sucks and to an extent some of that may be true.

But there will be 11 pitchers on the staff and at the moment there are 11 guys healthy enough to be active.  If the issue here is Jenks over Bajenaru, I tend to agree on the surface, Bajenaru deserves the shot 1st.  We aren't privy to how well both are throwing at the moment, so there may be some intagibles in terms of their performance.  Personally I'd like to see another power arm in the bullpen but the key is who's better equipped to succeed here?  One would think Bajenaru because his maturity level is probably better.

But I will say this, there is something very enticing about Jenks and that true closer stuff he has.  It would be interesting to let him get his feet wet, they can always send him back down.  The way he's progressing he has a good chance to be a dominant guy at the back of the bullpen.

To me, Baj is a guy who can fill the Politte or Vizcaino role.  He is showing he can close games at AAA but maybe it's a personal bias for me, I like the closer to have overwhelmingly good stuff.  I saw them both in spring training when Jenks was nowhere near 100% but you could really see the talent.  Not to say Bajenaru doesn't but Jenks' talent jumps right out at you.

Baj has better numbers, but its hard to argue with upper 90 flamthrowing and a good curve. Stuff can get you around some limitations of experience at the major league level. This is why other teams pitching prospects look so good their first time out against us. Their guys are throwing gas or having moving gas and its still hard to hit it. We have 91 mph location pitchers. When they get nervous for their first time, the miss on location and then its just batting practice. The only thing I worry about with Jenks is getting all goofy and walking the world. However if Jenks and Baj were to come in and stabilize this pen. Damn.

Bye Bye Dingo, never knew you were here. Trade him to the NL. They obviously havent seen him there. He will do great in the NL.

Hmm...well...I would think to call up Baj and just put Rogo and Jenks in Charlotte. But, if Jenks will be in the majors, let's hope that fat flamethrowing bastard dominates! Can't change Kenny's mind, so might as well cheer on the boy he brings up.

Baj's number are very impressive, but KW just had a lok at all these guys recently. If he thinks Jenks is the one that will help the team more, then so be it. This ain't about being fair. It's about winning a pennant.

QUOTE(Jake @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
Hmm...well...I would think to call up Baj and just put Rogo and Jenks in Charlotte. But, if Jenks will be in the majors, let's hope that fat flamethrowing bastard dominates! Can't change Kenny's mind, so might as well cheer on the boy he brings up.

Well... the Sox can always throw Jose Canseco into the bullpen...

:lolhitting