Cliff

Heads22

It's kind of amazing how it's a totally different reliever. I see no reason why he can't/shouldn't be an all star. He's even getting lefties out.

Vs. Lefties .148/.281/.259

Vs. Righties .132/.169/.208

Hell, his slugging against is lower than a lot of our staff's BAA.

He's even more sick at the Cell.

.074/.156/.111

That's a .267 OPS against

3 hits allowed in 13 IP at night.

Runners in scoring position? .160 BAA

I'd like to see a handful of relievers that deserve to go to Detroit over him.

Middle reliever rarely, if ever, make the All-Star team. The only time I can remember it happening is Jeff Nelson, Paul Quantrill & Shigetoshi Hasegawa. That's only three that I can remember. Cliff has done a great job. I'd rather he rest his valuable arm for the stretch drive.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)
I fully believe that its the more consistant throwing of a decent slider that has helped him this year.  He is going after the batters and throwing all of his pitches for strikes, textbook

He also has incorporated a wicked changeup. From what I remember last year, right before he went on the DL with his appendectomy he was on a roll similar to this. He certainly brings the intensity, thats for sure

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
With that, the way Cliff has pitched this season, there is no reason to change anything with Cliff. Like Gene said, Toronto was convinced Cliff became a different animal when he would be out there for the save. All we need is to get into Cliffs head and screw him up. Don't fix it if it ain't broken.

I agree he shouldn't be thrust into the role, but over time, I think he could become a closer. He's not the same pitcher he was with Toronto. There is certainly a mental aspect to closing games, but with his improved performance, I think he could eventually assume that role.

QUOTE(nvxplorer @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
I agree he shouldn't be thrust into the role, but over time, I think he could become a closer. He's not the same pitcher he was with Toronto. There is certainly a mental aspect to closing games, but with his improved performance, I think he could eventually assume that role.

he has the mentallity to be in the role, he sort of reminds me of ryan, both of them like to throw hard and it works well for both, i think politte would do well as a closer, like everyone else

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
he has the mentallity to be in the role, he sort of reminds me of ryan, both of them like to throw hard and it works well for both, i think politte would do well as a closer, like everyone else

Apparently I didn't type loud enough....

Regardless of what you think. He was a failed closer in Toronto. And upon coming to the Sox last season, said that he didn't have what it takes in the 9th.

He doesn't want to want the ball in the ninth. We end up getting angry Cliff in those situations.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 04:47 PM)

Regardless of what you think. He was a failed closer in Toronto. And upon coming to the Sox last season, said that he didn't have what it takes in the 9th.

He doesn't want to want the ball in the ninth. We end up getting angry Cliff in those situations.

just saying that hes capable, i want whats best for the team

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 02:47 PM)

Didn't he pitch the 9th yesterday?

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jun 13, 2005 -> 03:05 PM)
Middle reliever rarely, if ever, make the All-Star team.  The only time I can remember it happening is Jeff Nelson, Paul Quantrill & Shigetoshi Hasegawa.  That's only three that I can remember.  Cliff has done a great job.  I'd rather he rest his valuable arm for the stretch drive.

Brendan Donnelly did in 2003, but from April thru July he gave up 4 earned runs in 31+ innings. Politte is deserving, and I'd like to see him used in more important situations, but he probably won't make it.