6/14/05 Game Thread

kev211

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 08:37 PM)
A lot of us weren't naive to this teams potential short-comings.  Even when we were busy sweeping Colorado last week, many of us were saying we needed bullpen help and a back-up infielder.

i understand that yes. just saying if we do trade and it does not work out. then what do we do trade again?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is exactly why they pitched him tonight, it was a good move to figure this out without the game on the line. Time for a trade. shake things up a bit.

TQ as we said Monday nite, they need another lefthander in the pen.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:32 AM)
Anyone notice how every out against Shingo seems to be a "loud" out?  Last night, nearly every ball was hit to the track against him.  We need bullpen help, and pronto.  It's ridiculous that we don't have a long man, and we're going to need another lefty.

I don't know if this has generally been true, but this is not 'just another example' of that. It's Troy freaking Glaus, he hits everything hard, and he's done little wrong this entire year. Really, Shingo did pretty well here, given the situation.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:39 AM)
I don't know if this has generally been true, but this is not 'just another example' of that.  It's Troy freaking Glaus, he hits everything hard, and he's done little wrong this entire year.  Really, Shingo did pretty well here, given the situation.

Glaus had been pretty awful for a long time before the last few days. In the Twins series last week, he couldn't hit a thing. We haven't made very good pitches to him, and like usual, he's kicked our ass.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
i understand that yes. just saying if we do trade and it does not work out. then what do we do trade again?

If you want to win the world series you do what you need within reason. If it doesn't work out trade again, or go to your minor league system, which I think would only serve as a very short term solution. (two weeks)

Well there's always the chance something won't work out. But the bullpen has to be as strong as possible to win this thing. Strengthen it sooner rather than later. I am not thrilled that Marte is pitching again so soon, would have preferred he hit the DL to completely rest him. This is a guy we will rely on big time in Aug. and Sept.

Shingo is miscast, he is in a mop up role but he is not suited for it. A mop up guy should be able to go 4-5 innings, that would've helped tonite. Nothing against Shingo but he is a spare part right now. A Glendon Rusch-type guy would be perfect. Problem is they don't grow on trees, everyone wants lefthanders. Unfortunately we may be looking at ancient Jeff Fassero.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:38 AM)

Then it wasn't your year. I just think a lot of us have doubts about this team making the playoffs with this particular roster. The Indians are beginning to scare me also, as they're playing good baseball as their offense begins to come around. Their bullpen is so much better than it was last year, so they're actually winning games that they lead late.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
So could Albert Pujols.  I'm not going to b**** about Crede when he's actually producing at the plate now.

See, that's why there's a little thing called a season average, so we aren't fooled by a little hot-streak.

Even in this little hot-streak, Crede still has no idea what he's doing. He's gotten lucky by hitting a couple of mistake pitches but his swing still is long and loopy. Remember the Otsuka at-bat at San Diego?

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 08:43 PM)
Well there's always the chance something won't work out.  But the bullpen has to be as strong as possible to win this thing.  Strengthen it sooner rather than later.  I am not thrilled that Marte is pitching again so soon, would have preferred he hit the DL to completely rest him.  This is a guy we will rely on big time in Aug. and Sept.

Shingo is miscast, he is in a mop up role but he is not suited for it.  A mop up guy should be able to go 4-5 innings, that would've helped tonite.  Nothing against Shingo but he is a spare part right now.  A Glendon Rusch-type guy would be perfect.  Problem is they don't grow on trees, everyone wants lefthanders.  Unfortunately we may be looking at ancient Jeff Fassero.

i just hope kenny makes a good trade. not give away the farm for something that turns out bad. no harm. just my two cents. :D

These stinker games were bound to happen but it shows the bullpen needs help.

Sometimes a team has to go through a stretch to see exactly what's needed and who can be relied upon. Right now I would take Jeff Fassaro over Shingo. I wonder what the Mariners want for the Ancient Mariner, he might be another option even though he's a starter. Williams has always wanted him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 02:41 AM)
Glaus had been pretty awful for a long time before the last few days.  In the Twins series last week, he couldn't hit a thing.  We haven't made very good pitches to him, and like usual, he's kicked our ass.

You're overstating things. He was in a bit of a funk, but not "pretty awful". In the Twins series, 2 for 10 w/ 2 bb and 2 k. Nothing that would concern anyone. He killed the Royals, but (of course) who doesn't? And he's had a darn good year overall. He's one hell of a hitter when healthy, it's not surprising that he made solid contact.

QUOTE(whitesoxjr27 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:45 PM)
i just hope kenny makes a good trade. not give away the farm for something that turns out bad. no harm. just my two cents. :D

I get your point, here is mine though. In the last two years who on the farm have the whitesox developed? Farm is for blue chippers or for trading.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:09 PM)
But...but...but....we have the best record in baseball.  We're going to need new guys to pick it up, because a lot of the players that were carrying us earlier in the season are struggling.  Iguchi's batting average has been slowly fading for a month now, and Contreras and Hermanson have struggled recently.  Uribe looks to be coming out of his slump, which will help.

Now, I'm usually as negative as they come, but Contreras has a bad start and he's labeled as "struggling recently."

That's like me saying Timo's on fire lately because he's got 2 hits in his last 5 at bats.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
These stinker games were bound to happen but it shows the bullpen needs help.

Sometimes a team has to go through a stretch to see exactly what's needed and who can be relied upon.  Right now I would take Jeff Fassaro over Shingo.  I wonder what the Mariners want for the Ancient Mariner, he might be another option even though he's a starter.  Williams has always wanted him.

I will pass on fassero we can find others.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
I get your point, here is mine though. In the last two years who on the farm have the whitesox developed? Farm is for blue chippers or for trading.

your very right sir. did not think of that. games like this make your mind go nuts. :D

Williams is on the phone as we speak. I can smell something coming. Could be wrong, just a feeling. Sox are playing shorthanded, he needs to fix it and he will try hard to get it done.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:50 PM)
Now, I'm usually as negative as they come, but Contreras has a bad start and he's labeled as "struggling recently."

That's like me saying Timo's on fire lately because he's got 2 hits in his last 5 at bats.

I see your catching up on the thread but I agree with fathom, both the cubans throw alot of pitches and put people on base. They do get out of jams many times, but the point is they get in too many jams. Its seems they are always pitching with runners on base.