6/14/05 Game Thread

kev211

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 03:33 AM)
Contreras has one horribly outing and people are ready to chop off his head.

Yeah, I definitely mistyped when I said earlier that Contreras is struggling. He had a great start at Colorado before last night's debacle. Also, last night with Contreras didn't bother me because at least he got beat cause he was hit hard, and didn't walk people. Now, Duque on the other hand looks like absolute trash.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
I dont know what Contreras' problem is, he is obiviously stubborn cause Coop and Ozzie tell him use the fastball use the fastball and he seems to always find his way back to a forkball that he is hoping the hitter will go through it.  I give him his props on his good outings though, its hit or miss with this guy.  Just give us a solid 5-6 innings and you can earn your 8 mil. :angry: sheesh

Maybe you guys criticizing Contreras should check out one of his games and look at his numbers every once in a while.

The guy's been great all season.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:32 PM)
Thats whats been getting me worried,  Count and Hernandez doing the exact opposite.

They always keep the game at an unbearable pace and throw too many pitches in the at bat.  I wish the would be like Garland and try it Buerhle style,  you'll be better off throwing strikes plus the defense won't fall asleep on you.  LEARN IT.

I dont know what Contreras' problem is, he is obiviously stubborn cause Coop and Ozzie tell him use the fastball use the fastball and he seems to always find his way back to a forkball that he is hoping the hitter will go through it.  I give him his props on his good outings though, its hit or miss with this guy.  Just give us a solid 5-6 innings and you can earn your 8 mil. :angry: sheesh

My suggestion to these guys is take a look at Garland.

El Duque has an 84mph fastball that he can rush up to 88 every so often. He relys on deception and a funky motion. That said he gets behind way too many hitters. Hey has done that all year long. He has been very lucky more than a few times getting into trouble only to get out of it with a pop up or GIDP. Now he is getting behind in the hot months of summer. That pop up is now flying out of the park. He doesnt have the stuff to get hitters out if he gets behind consisantly. This is only a preview of more to come from big bombings if he doesnt get ahead of some hitters. Sorry an 84mph meatball doesnt frighten hitters.

Conteras needs a shrink. Last night at the cell his first pitch was at 96 on the gun at the park. Every single fastball was at 94. Live fastball. His problem is he gets behind also. When he gets behind he loses location and gets way to much of the plate. Also he falls in love with his splitter. He slows down and the game drags. They should ban him from behing able to shake the catcher off. Watching him or the other cuban shake off our catchers who have been responsible for calling some great games is a joke. Its like watching Kevin Costner turning to the hitter, 2 hitter and this guy is shaking me off, well here comes the duce. And teddy when you speak of me, speak well.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 09:37 PM)
Maybe you guys criticizing Contreras should check out one of his games and look at his numbers every once in a while.

The guy's been great all season.

Both of our cuban pitchers need to trust our catchers and the game that they call. Both of them are steller when they get the ball, look for the sign, and hit the target. When they start to shake off the catcher, go 3 or 4 signs deep its going to be a long night.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:42 PM)
Both of our cuban pitchers need to trust our catchers and the game that they call.  Both of them are steller when they get the ball, look for the sign, and hit the target.  When they start to shake off the catcher, go 3 or 4 signs deep its going to be a long night.

Contreras was hanging his splitter yesterday and that was pretty much it. He still needs to throw it though because no pitcher is going to survive by just throwing fastballs.

EDIT: I know what you're saying about Contreras, and he is frustrating to watch at times, but that's like bringing up style points IMO. I can't argue with his results so far this year. He's got 9 quality starts which is very good when compared with our other starters (Buehrle - 10, Garland - 9, Garcia - 8, Duque - 5).

Edited by Frankensteiner

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:03 PM)
Contreras was hanging his splitter yesterday and that was pretty much it. He still needs to throw it though because no pitcher is going to survive by just throwing  fastballs.

I was at the game. And yes he hung his splitter. But he also missed his location on his fastball on hitter counts. They either jumped on first pitch or they got a hitters count and sat on a pitch.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 01:42 PM)
Both of our cuban pitchers need to trust our catchers and the game that they call.  Both of them are steller when they get the ball, look for the sign, and hit the target.  When they start to shake off the catcher, go 3 or 4 signs deep its going to be a long night.

Have you seen the stats when AJ is catching Contreras compared to Widger.

I'd like to think Widger has a better CERA than AJ when catching El Duque though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 10:15 PM)
Have you seen the stats when AJ is catching Contreras compared to Widger.

I'd like to think Widger has a better CERA than AJ when catching El Duque though.

AJ gets in contreras's face. He yells at him, gets him going.

If 8 million isnt enough of a reason to have the mental acumen of a 10 year old, yelling will help.