Does Konerko not like Uribe or something?

Jabroni

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:28 AM)
Just a guess but I am sure a reporter asked him about the play in one form or another, and after the screw ups they had that game themselves, maybe he was feeling sorry for him?

I don't know, but beginning with the title of the thread, this is all one big assumption, if you know what I mean.

I know.. and I agree it's hype.. but it is a bit weird. Paul could have said a million things.. but that he's the "best" he's ever played with.. :huh

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 07:28 AM)
Just a guess but I am sure a reporter asked him about the play in one form or another, and after the screw ups they had that game themselves, maybe he was feeling sorry for him?

I don't know, but beginning with the title of the thread, this is all one big assumption, if you know what I mean.

As in their is no truth to the thread title. It is just implied by a statement that Paul made about Clayton.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 07:30 AM)
I know.. and I agree it's hype.. but it is a bit weird. Paul could have said a million things.. but that he's the "best" he's ever played with..  :huh

What other shortstops besides Uribe and Valentin did he play with. If the Choice is the best one, then i would not like to see that list.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't Paul play with Barry Larkin while Paul was in Cincinatti.

No story here.

Players overly praise other players all the time. I remember Ozzie once saying that Scott Fletcher was the best 2nd baseman he ever played with. No biggie. I had a little bit of a problem when he openly called out Uribe during the Cub series, but I think this is making something out of nothing.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 06:42 AM)
Just on Konerko, does anyone not feel he's going to be making Richie Sexson like money next season? FWIW here are Sexson's stats this season thus far;

.243/14HR/49RBI.

.243/.349/.495

74 K's, 34 BB's.

He can make as much money as he wants to....as long as its for some other team.... :bang

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:51 PM)
He can make as much money as he wants to....as long as its for some other team.... :bang

There'll definitely be a market for Konerko this off-season too.

New York - If they can buy out Giambi's contract, or even if Timo Martinez retires.

Anaheim - Need a DH, or he could play 1B and Kotchman or Erstad could DH.

Boston - They'll want tp upgrade from Kevin Millar's production.

San Francisco - Could upgrade from J.T Snow, especially if Jason Schmidt doesn't come back.

New York Mets - Want to upgrade from Doug Mientkiewicz badly.

Detroit - Konerko >>> Carlos Pena. And I wouldn't rule out Mike Illitch making a BIG offer, ala Maggs take 2.

Toronto - With new ownership, they'll have increase payroll over the next few years. They need a big bat.

Houston - If Jeff Bagwell retires, they'll need a replacement.

Ya, it's obvious Pauly was asked about the miscues that Royce made and Pauly was defending Royce's defense by saying he's the best defensive shortstop he's played with, I'm sure of it that he was talking about defense and not offense. That's pauly's opinion, I personally disagree cause I do think Juan is a better defensive shortstop because though Royce makes every play at him he doesn't have tremendous range but that's jmo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:32 AM)
Ya, it's obvious Pauly was asked about the miscues that Royce made and Pauly was defending Royce's defense by saying he's the best defensive shortstop he's played with, I'm sure of it that he was talking about defense and not offense.  That's pauly's opinion, I personally disagree cause I do think Juan is a better defensive shortstop because though Royce makes every play at him he doesn't have tremendous range but that's jmo.

Royce has more range than people around here ... correction; had more range .... give him credit for. I can't speak for his range today. But when he was with the Sox, he was always in the top of the league in chances.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:37 AM)
Royce has more range than people around here ... correction; had more range .... give him credit for.  I can't speak for his range today.  But when he was with the Sox, he was always in the top of the league in chances.

Correct me if I am wrong.. but Royce rarely moved. Everything within arms shot he got to.. but he was a statue out there was he not..?

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
Correct me if I am wrong.. but Royce rarely moved. Everything within arms shot he got to.. but he was a statue out there was he not..?

That's what I recall as well.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:43 AM)

Check the stats. That's all I can tell you. Iirc, he was in the top 3 his first year with us.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:52 AM)
Check the stats.  That's all I can tell you.  Iirc, he was in the top 3 his first year with us.

Right.. because he never moved. Can't make an error if you don't attempt to get to the ball.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 07:20 AM)
Only on this board can a comment like that be construed as Konerko not liking Uribe.  This is a total non story, it's amazing how people here read into the simplest remarks by a player.

Everyone read that one more time.

Yes, sox-Royce was better defensively than Uribe. people are treating this thread like Uribe is goddam Vizquel.

It's not a slight at Uribe; it is something Konerko believes, no more no less.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 09:54 AM)
Right.. because he never moved. Can't make an error if you don't attempt to get to the ball.

In not talking about fielding pct. I'm talking about the number of plays he made.

So essentially I'm gonna ask this question; Do you prefer a guy with a great range but a bad arm in say Willie Harris, or a guy with a great arm but no so good range in Royce Clayton.

On Clayton, he should of stayed in Colorado if he could, Alex Cintron is just about going to take his everyday spot.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
Everyone read that one more time.

Yes, sox-Royce was better defensively than Uribe.  people are treating this thread like Uribe is goddam Vizquel.

It's not a slight at Uribe; it is something Konerko believes, no more no less.

the only reason we signed Royce was because of his defense. Uribe more for his offense. the first thing I thought after reading this was it was a question about defense, where Royce is still solid.