Here's What's Great About This Year

jerseysox

For the past few years, I have always wanted the White Sox to do well. Win the Central, get the wild card, do whatever they had to do to make the playoffs. I didn't care.

But no matter how close they were to the wild card or the division lead, I always knew deep down inside that they weren't going to win the Series.

Think about it. Let's say they had to face the Yankees in the first round in any of the past three years. They weren't beating them. Argue it any way you want, they weren't going to the win the Series.

And that always ruined everything. But this year, it's different.

I look around at the AL, the top teams in the NL, and I honestly, truly believe that the White Sox can beat anyone in a seven- or five-game series. And it's a nice feeling.

I'm not saying they WILL beat anyone who gets in their way. But this year, unlike years past, they COULD. And it's nice. It's not as though the regular season is just a way to kill six months before the Red Sox and Yankees play in the ALCS.

Anyway, that's my random Sox thought of the day.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:51 AM)
Last year I'd agree with that assessment.  In 03 if they got into the playoffs they would have been a tremendously tough out.

it's hard for me to agree that a team that didn't get in would be a tough out.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)

I see your point, but that Sox team could have taken The Yankees or Boston, IMO. The only team they couldn't beat, was of course, The Twins

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:44 AM)
43-22, that's what is great about this year.

but it's 43-22 combined with the fact the yankees, red sox and twins aren't what they once were. if the white sox were 43-22 at this point last year, i wouldn't be nearly as optimistic as i am now.

btw, when does this ======> :canada come in handy?

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
but it's 43-22 combined with the fact the yankees, red sox and twins aren't what they once were. if the white sox were 43-22 at this point last year, i wouldn't be nearly as optimistic as i am now.

btw, when does this ======>  :canada come in handy?

This is the best team the twins have had since their run began imo.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 12:12 PM)
This is the best team the twins have had since their run began imo.

I disagree. They have had better defensive teams. Seems like they have an error or two everynight and several of those have cost them games this year. But I'm not complaining.

:cheers

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 12:16 PM)
I disagree.  They have had better defensive teams.  Seems like they have an error or two everynight and several of those have cost them games this year.  But I'm not complaining.

:cheers

agreed. nowhere near their best.

and joe nathan's era is approaching 4. that makes me smile.

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)

Valid point but on paper they were one of the best teams in baseball Buerhle was their number three pitcher. To go with the thought of this string the 2003 team was better than this team.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Valid point but on paper they were one of the best teams in baseball Buerhle was their number three pitcher.  To go with the thought of this string the 2003 team was better than this team.

Who was ahead of Buehrle? I remeber that was the year where he struggled in the first half.

QUOTE(HSC's Biggest Fan @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Valid point but on paper they were one of the best teams in baseball Buerhle was their number three pitcher.  To go with the thought of this string the 2003 team was better than this team.

Plus Garland had an era under 4 in the 2nd half of that year, Damaso and Flash were unhittable with Sully and Kelly in the bullpen as well. On paper that 03 team was as good as there was. I said they would have been a very tough out because of the starters they would have been able to throw out there in the playoffs. Anyways on paper yes that 03 team was better but this is a better team no doubt in my mind.

That 2003 team, if it had won the AL Central, would have rolled over the Yankees and the Red Sox. It would have gone to the World Series, where it would lose embarassingly bad to Florida.

Instead, they lost embarassingly bad to the AL equivalent of the Marlins.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 17, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
That 2003 team, if it had won the AL Central, would have rolled over the Yankees and the Red Sox. It would have gone to the World Series, where it would lose embarassingly bad to Florida.

Instead, they lost embarassingly bad to the AL equivalent of the Marlins.

I agree. Even Cashman said that the only team he was scared of that year was the White Sox. It was an incredible team on paper and looked like it had no holes. I think if we had Ozzie that year, no doubt we make it. That's when we lost it all in 1 Twins series.