Jason Schdimt to the Sox??

Southside hitmen

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:26 PM)
Does anyone know AJ's history with Jason Schmidt?  I know Tomko has it out for AJ, but what other Giants pitchers "hated" him, if any?

If Schmidt/AJ's relationship was good, that could lead to something happening... former battery-mates seem to hook up if they get along, and I guarantee KW is looking into that.

You bet AJ would have some input on that. It seems to me that MB, AJ, A-row seem to be the mold that KW is going for, and you know they will have input on players.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
Does anyone know AJ's history with Jason Schmidt?  I know Tomko has it out for AJ, but what other Giants pitchers "hated" him, if any?

If Schmidt/AJ's relationship was good, that could lead to something happening... former battery-mates seem to hook up if they get along, and I guarantee KW is looking into that.

Matt Herges, just him and Tomko.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 07:12 PM)
I fully expect AJ to help him return to form, at least as good as he was last year.

Getting a little ahead of yourself eh :P .......well i am hopin too.......Kenny pulling out Freddie last year was huge, but if he could get the best 2 pitchers on the block 2 years in a row.....WOW and :notworthy

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Getting a little ahead of yourself eh  :P .......well i am hopin too.......Kenny pulling out Freddie last year was huge, but if he could get the best 2 pitchers on the block 2 years in a row.....WOW and  :notworthy

I tend to do that, I already penciled in Chavez as our 3B when I heard about that rumor. Im just saying that KW is going to pull off something here, he sees the brass ring, and ANY success getting to the postseason or in the postseason includes $$$ for KW as well.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
Getting a little ahead of yourself eh  :P .......well i am hopin too.......Kenny pulling out Freddie last year was huge, but if he could get the best 2 pitchers on the block 2 years in a row.....WOW and  :notworthy

Kenny got Bartolo in 2003 (although not at the deadline), so this would be the third straight year of acquiring the best pitcher on the block.

The only thing that might stop KW from getting a starter is chemestry... because im sure El Duque wont be happy being bumped from the rotation and that could affect Contreras greatly if El Duque is mad.

Than again if El Duque accepts being in the bullpen and we add Schmidt ill finally be in love with this team, Even though we are 1st and kicking ass I cant grow attached to this team for some reason... idonno maybe it was just the super low expectations i had for them coming into the season.

Astros' organization concerning trades involving...

...Brandon Backe or Brad Lidge for another bat in the lineup? -- Aaron

...Roy Oswalt? -- Jeremy S.

...Andy Pettitte and Roger Clemens? -- Steven T.

No and no, no, no and no.

At this point, six weeks before the trade deadline, the Astros are "potential buyers." If they don't make any deals, the next option is to stay the course with what they have. The third option is to be "potential sellers," which general manager Tim Purpura said is not an option for the Houston Astros.

To trade Backe, Lidge, Oswalt and Pettitte at this point would be counterproductive. Maybe this year will be remembered as a rebuilding year. Maybe the Astros will miss the Wild Card by two games. Maybe they'll win it. Or maybe they'll be completely out of contention by July 31. No matter what, future Astros teams will be built around Oswalt, Lidge and Berkman, and the young, immensely talented players aren't going anywhere.

Pettitte has a no-trade clause, and it's unlikely he'd want to go anywhere even if the Astros wanted to trade him, which they don't. And the Clemens rumor took on a life of its own a couple of weeks ago when reporters from the New York area were already figuring out which game Clemens would start for the Yankees in the Division Series.

If the Yankees had anything to offer the Astros in terms of Minor League prospects, I'd entertain the notion that a deal might come in the 11th hour. But the Yankees have very little in terms of trade bait.

Being able to read any newspaper in the country online is a terrific luxury, but the problem is we're also able to read too many mistruths. I read a report that Lidge was "expendable" because of his "expensive" contract. But in reality, Lidge, who has a $500,000 contract and is one of the most effective closers in the Majors, is not yet arbitration eligible, so the Astros have little reason to look to deal him.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Here was a Rosenthal piece on Schmidt after his shutout of the Tigers:

Rosenthal Article

i was wondering if someone was going to bring this article up which scares me away from jason, and i am a huge fan who was always mentioning we should get him. now i am second guessing this reasoning

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
Kenny got Bartolo in 2003 (although not at the deadline), so this would be the third straight year of acquiring the best pitcher on the block.

Except the sox needed a #1, #2 type SP in those years. And Freddy replaced Bartolo

This year the sox might need a #5 type SP if El Duque is out for long

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 05:23 AM)
Except the sox needed a #1, #2 type SP in those years. And Freddy replaced Bartolo

This year the sox might need a #5 type SP if El Duque is out for long

I don't think there's a team in baseball that couldn't use a #1 starter, including the Sox. If anything, it would allow the Sox to place Contreras in the pen for the playoffs, giving them another good power arm to go with Politte and Marte.

A #5 starter doesn't give us that type of flexibility. Of course he could probably eat up some innings during the season, which obviously isn't a bad thing considering Duque's fragile state.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
The thing that surprises me is that some people don't want a proven ACE like Schimdt but will settle for a #5 starter...man the Sox staff would be frightening if they added Schimdt to it..

It's not a matter of getting a proven ace. Or not wanting one. But the Sox adding a SP who has a big contract when they already have 5 under contract [with Garland due a big raise] isn't smart for the future of the club.

It's also a matter of filling all the holes with the available minor leaguers the sox have. The going rate per ESPN was 3 prospects for Schmidt [talking anderson, Bmac and a AA stud]. Where does the talent for getting a top bullpen arm come from then? Where do the minor leaguers come form getting a bench bat like JT Snow? Sox can make a move for the WS w/o selling the entire farm system

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:41 AM)
The thing that surprises me is that some people don't want a proven ACE like Schimdt but will settle for a #5 starter...man the Sox staff would be frightening if they added Schimdt to it..

I'd be more than willing to trade McCarthy for him. It's not even a contest in my mind.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:53 AM)
It's not a matter of getting a proven ace. Or not wanting one. But the Sox adding a SP who has a big contract when they already have 5 under contract [with Garland due a big raise] isn't smart for the future of the club.

The Sox can let Schmidt go at the end of the season (team option). That's really not a problem.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 08:53 AM)

It's also a matter of filling all the holes with the available minor leaguers the sox have. The going rate per ESPN was 3 prospects for Schmidt [talking anderson, Bmac and a AA stud]. Where does the talent for getting a top bullpen arm come from then? Where do the minor leaguers come form getting a bench bat like JT Snow? Sox can make a move for the WS w/o selling the entire farm system

Well the way I am seeing it I wouldn't mind giving up BMac and Anderson for Schimdt for the simple fact that Schimdt is a proven Ace and Bmac is not yet proven anything and Anderson where does he fit in here now that the Sox have an over abundance of outfielders already?? Taking on the contract doesn't seem like the Sox would be all that worried about it if they are willing to trade for him does it?? Reinsdorf already said for a difference maker he would spend the cash right? Plus it doesn't appear as though KW or Ozzie are all that in love with El Duque to not deal him or move him to the pen if need be. I wouldn't worry so much about the pen most of the guys have proven solid and Shingo looks to be coming around. Right now I would say the weak link is Vizcaino and if El Duque goes to the pen well he takes his place anyway...IMO.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Yea gut the farm system for a 2 month rental, that's a smart move.

If it brings the Chicago White Sox a World Series Championship then it is a move of a genius. I don't care if he ever comes back. Then again chances are if we win the World Series we will bring him back.

If it brings the Chicago White Sox a World Series Championship then it is a move of a genius. I don't care if he ever comes back. Then again chances are if we win the World Series we will bring him back.

Totally agree. More playoff games = more payroll room.

QUOTE(upnorthsox @ Jun 24, 2005 -> 09:42 AM)
Yea gut the farm system for a 2 month rental, that's a smart move.

No you don't "gut" it for a 2 month rental. You gut it for the best pitcher in the NL the past few seasons, who at $8+ million this season and $10 million next season would be a complete steal with the current prices for SP on the FA market. Pavano got $10 mil and isnt half the pitcher Schmidt is. Schmidt has been a top 3 pitcher in the majors for the past 3-4 seasons. You don't find pitchers like this available, ever...This is all barring his is completely healthy, and if the Sox scouts believe that he is healthy, then you get him. No one can match Schmidt-Buehrle-Garcia in the playoffs. No one...

Edited by sircaffey