"I get a lot more grief than Ozzie."

Jabroni

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
Do you ever listen to his interviews?  He says dumb stuff all the time, and when they show it on ESPN they always have mixed feelings about it but more guys seem to enjoy it than guys who dont.

You must be reading different newspapers and listening to different sports radio than me. Ozzie has not gotten a pass on anything he has said. Brad palmer? Magglio Ordonez? Frank thomas?

Name me an issue that he has gotten away with.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
You must be reading different newspapers and listening to different sports radio than me.  Ozzie has not gotten a pass on anything he has said.  Brad palmer?  Magglio Ordonez?  Frank thomas? 

Name me an issue that he has gotten away with.

the only local reporter that ever gives Ozzie problems is Jay Marriotti and that would happen no matter what Ozzie would say, His other stuff it sparked up a lot of attention but like I said earlier most people enjoyed it than called him out for it.

I can't remember where I heard this...I think it was on Sunday night Baseball? anyway, they were talking about Ozzie's big mouth. But, what they were saying is...the media asks him a question, and he answers it. Honestly answers it. You could ask him anything and he'll give you an answer, he doesn't beat around the bush or give the company line. Plus, he's one helluva interview. If you don't come out pissing your pants, you must've had your funnybone removed.

Why is this important? Well, the media appreciates that and starts to protect him when he goes on some of his tirades. This is local media only right now.

Dusty, on the other hand, is surly. And after the Stoney incident last year, that really turned the media off.

Ozzie says a lot of dumb stuff, that's for sure, but the local media, beat reporters in particular (except for that one jackass that I can't think of right now) really like him and tend to protect him.

Dusty has become what all Cub managers are...A total bust when he came to the Cubs lol. He hasn't done a thing with the talent he had or has, and he is very dishonest with the health of his players. Maybe he should take a page from Ozzie's book on "How to Be Loved by the City and Have a Succesfull team." OZZIE is GOD

The tides continue to turn.

Haven't the Cubs and their fans always claimed that they really pay no attention to the Sox, and that the Sox and their fans are the only ones who have some sort of agenda here? Does anybody else see that the Cubs and their fans are starting to become bothered by the Sox, and that the Sox seem to be gaining in their "fandom"?

Side note, I may have mentioned this one, we had a garage sale not too long ago. Through out the sale, I had two people walk through with Cubs hats on.

I lost track of all the Sox gear by about noon.

Dusty seriously is an idiot.......at least ozzie will take the blame for s***.....all Dusty does is complain and make excuses for s***......I want someone to prove me wrong on this but seriously can someone find a blurb from him where he says the teams faults lie on his shoulders, and not "My team isn't playing well because (insert stupid reason here)"

I think there is some truth to what Dusty is sayin though. Ozzie's just expected to make inane statements...people expect it...that's OZ. This past week when AJ won the game with a dinger...in the post game conference OZ was talking about AJ before the AB and said, "AJ was whining like a little baby...." about something, I can't remember exactly what Ozzie was referring to. Now if Dusty woulda said that about one of his players...s*** would probably hit the fan.

I think basically Blusty Baker has Ozzie Envy!

Winning covers all dumb s*** you say. If Maggs was on the Royals and left for the Tigers and Ozzie managed the Royals, he'd get a helluva lot of grief.

Dusty, shut the f*** up and chew your toothpick. Thanks.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Dusty seriously is an idiot.......at least ozzie will take the blame for s***.....all Dusty does is complain and make excuses for s***......I want someone to prove me wrong on this but seriously can someone find a blurb from him where he says the teams faults lie on his shoulders, and not "My team isn't playing well because (insert stupid reason here)"

true, and you know dusty baker is going to complain before the cubs sox series about his team not getting an off day before the sereis, its inevitable

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
I think there is some truth to what Dusty is sayin though.  Ozzie's just expected to make inane statements...people expect it...that's OZ.  This past week when AJ won the game with a dinger...in the post game conference OZ was talking about AJ before the AB and said, "AJ was whining like a little baby...."  about something, I can't remember exactly what Ozzie was referring to. Now if Dusty woulda said that about one of his players...s*** would probably hit the fan.

You should really look into a new avatar? :huh

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:48 PM)
Side note, I may have mentioned this one, we had a garage sale not too long ago. Through out the sale, I had two people walk through with Cubs hats on.

I lost track of all the Sox gear by about noon.

WHY ARE YOU SELLING SOX GEAR?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:25 PM)
You should really look into a new avatar?  :huh

I wondered when somebody was gonna give me s*** about that! That was from ST last year...thought it was funny as s***....but you are right!

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:24 PM)
I think there is some truth to what Dusty is sayin though.  Ozzie's just expected to make inane statements...people expect it...that's OZ.  This past week when AJ won the game with a dinger...in the post game conference OZ was talking about AJ before the AB and said, "AJ was whining like a little baby...."  about something, I can't remember exactly what Ozzie was referring to. Now if Dusty woulda said that about one of his players...s*** would probably hit the fan.

So who's fault is it that Ozzie has a good rapport with his players??

Baker is full of s***. Anything derogatory that comes out of Oz's mouth gets printed. There isn't anyone protecting him...his rants make good reads and every reporter is gonna write baout them.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:21 PM)
I agree with him actually. Ozzie does get away with alot more stuff and lots of people say that reporters don't always print what he says because he would be in a boatload more of trouble.

How can you assume this? I couldn't imagine if there's actually more to his post-game rants than what is broadcasted on TV or printed in the papers.

Steve Phillipps suggesting Guillen is protected by journalists is not a credible source. Besides him, where have you heard anyone suggest the media protects Ozzie?

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:42 PM)
How can you assume this? I couldn't imagine if there's actually more to his post-game rants than what is broadcasted on TV or printed in the papers.

Steve Phillipps suggesting Guillen is protected by journalists is not a credible source. Besides him, where have you heard anyone suggest the media protects Ozzie?

Mariotti, Padilla and another columnist from Chicago have said the same.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)

My fault if I've overlooked this, but I don't remember these many journalists agreeing with Phillipps.

If anyone could possibly dig up the articles I'd appreciate it.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:44 PM)

Sure, the two most trusted and unbiased journalists in Chicago. Who is the other columnist?

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:44 PM)

Found Mariotti's article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay01.html

Nowhere does it say he's correct. And I've browsed others in his archive, this is the only one concerning the White Sox which mentions Phillips.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 12:57 PM)
Found Mariotti's article:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay01.html

Nowhere does it say he's correct. And I've browsed others in his archive, this is the only one concerning the White Sox which mentions Phillips.

ESPN OTL Nightly. That's when Mariotti said it and Padilla said it. They were on seperate shows(about 2 weeks apart IIRC) and the one guy from ESPN Deportes admitted it too, but he didn't speak much else on it. He just said it's because they know he's a high strung guy and that's good for the White Sox.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 01:37 AM)
Idonno he does have a point, Ozzie seems to get away with a lot of dumb s*** that he says... but i guess the antidote for getting away with dumb s*** is winning  :gosox3:

He just says so much dumb s*** that the media can't get mad over it all or there wouldn't be anything else to talk about.