"I get a lot more grief than Ozzie."

Jabroni

"Baker passes on adding fuel to rivalry

Cubs manager fine with letting Guillen, White Sox do talking"

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...ack=1&cset=true

Ozzie can say whatever he wants to say, and it's OK," Baker said. "I don't have that right and privilege yet. I'm not a homeboy yet. Ozzie is a homeboy. Am I right? Ozzie played here with his team. I don't have that privilege."

Asked why he didn't believe he could say whatever he wants, Baker replied: "When I do, I get a lot more [grief] than he does. Correct?"

Informed Guillen received criticism over his hostile remarks toward former Sox outfielder Magglio Ordonez in April, Baker disagreed.

"Maybe I didn't read it that way," he said.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dusty was supposed to be the man that could take the Cubs to the promised land. It hasn't quite worked out that way and Cubbie-Imagi-Nation is not bowing down as he had anticipted.

Oh well, Dusty, life's a b****. :headshake

anyone else think when the Cubs went to the NLCS was the best thing because now the bar is set so high. At the time i hated it now im glad they did

And the monumental collapse that followed really made Busty look bad. From overworking his starters to not trusting his bullpen. Ah yes, that was a memorable series. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:34 AM)
Think about it.... The WHITE sox... huh huh...  :P

Well, I knew your comment wasn't intended to be taken literally. But I sure couldn't figure out what angle you were coming from.

It's about perception. Dusty Baker came in as the manager destined to turn the Cubs into Champions. That didn't happen. Ozzie came in with few expectations from the press and his narrative is "Ozzie's just about bat s*** crazy, look at what he said! *chuckle chuckle chortle*"

Sad thing is, I think this might be Dusty's way to talk smack. He's not even any good at that.

Poor Busty We have to take our wins where we can and if we have one teflon personality, yeah! for us. Their stadium is teflon, their lovable loser image is teflon, they have Cy Young Pitchers top to bottom, and a manager who is taken to task.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:37 AM)
Idonno he does have a point, Ozzie seems to get away with a lot of dumb s*** that he says... but i guess the antidote for getting away with dumb s*** is winning  :gosox3:

Name me one time when Ozzie got away with something stupid that he said? I cannot think of one time when Ozzie said something controversial that he wasnt grilled in the local and national media immediately afterwards. Dusty gets the same "homeboy" treatment whether he likes it or not. What an ever-complaining nobody-likes-me/us b****, Dusty is such a whiner.

Also not posted on this thread was the beginning of the article:

Dusty Baker says he has no dislike for the White Sox. But he gets the distinct impression that the Sox don't like the Cubs as the teams prepare to meet for the second time this weekend at U.S. Cellular Field.

"I think they dislike us more than we dislike them,'' Baker said. "That's what it sounds like. I don't dislike anyone. I don't like to lose to them, but that has nothing to do with disliking them.''

Baker was informed that Sox manager Ozzie Guillen had said earlier Wednesday that he wasn't excited by Sunday's matchup between Mark Prior and Jon Garland because Garland is the better pitcher right now and hasn't been on the disabled list as much as Prior in recent years.

I dont like reading what Ozzie said about Prior. I dont want anyone to give Prior any motivation.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
Name me one time when Ozzie got away with something stupid that he said? I cannot think of one time when Ozzie said something controversial that he wasnt grilled in the local and national media immediately afterwards. Dusty gets the same "homeboy" treatment whether he likes it or not. What an ever-complaining nobody-likes-me/us b****, Dusty is such a whiner.

Do you ever listen to his interviews? He says dumb stuff all the time, and when they show it on ESPN they always have mixed feelings about it but more guys seem to enjoy it than guys who dont.