The Gigantic all encompassing TRADE THREAD

southsider2k5

It's an awful lot of $$ for the Sox as jabroni stated but it sure would be a bold move. A little steep in terms of what the Sox would give up too.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:04 AM)
I live in SF and Schmidt to the Whitesox is a very strong possibility the rumor is that they have put the best deal on the table but Sabean wants to wait  to see what other offers are out there...

I pray to god Schmidt throws gas tonight...I will be watching that game for sure on MLB.TV...

If the Sox get Schmidt then we can comment on how wrong George Offman is. He said a couple of days ago absolutely no way Jason Schmidt to the White Sox (contract and trade matchup w/the Giants).

Personally I worry about Schmidt's health but then again I always worry about pitchers health. Unless it's Wood or Prior. :D

I live in SF and Schmidt to the Whitesox is a very strong possibility the rumor is that they have put the best deal on the table but Sabean wants to wait  to see what other offers are out there...

Seriously? I will nut in my pants if you are telling the truth. :lolhitting

Would there be a better rotation in baseball than this?

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

:o :pray

If the Sox get Schmidt then we can comment on how wrong George Offman is.  He said a couple of days ago absolutely no way Jason Schmidt to the White Sox (contract and trade matchup w/the Giants).

Personally I worry about Schmidt's health but then again I always worry about pitchers health.  Unless it's Wood or Prior. :D

And the common theme is that Dusty has overworked all three of them (Schmidt, Wood, and Prior). :headshake

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)
Seriously?  I will nut in my pants if you are telling the truth. :lolhitting

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

:o  :pray

Prior

Wood

Maddux

Zambrano

Mitre

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

Stop it. Just stop it...I can't look at that rotation. :notworthy

Nothing shocks me when it comes to Ken Williams, this guy is obsessed (in a good way).

BTW, quick KW story:

quickman splits his 100 level tickets with a business associate, this guy is a little older and somwhat mobility challenged.

The guy parks in Lot B, near the Club Level and executive entrance in a handicapped spot, and he and his family were there early for one of the Sox-Cubs games. They are sitting in some foldout chairs outside their car, having a few beers and soft drinks.

KW walks by, they say hello to him and start chatting. Next thing you know, they invite KW to sit down, he does and for the next 1/2 hour he sits with these people and shoots the breeze.

Nice story IMO ...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

That has to be one of the scariest rotations in baseball. I'm giddy just thinking about it.

Phoenix -- On July 31, 1997, White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf declared, "Anyone who thinks we can catch Cleveland is crazy."

It was a remarkable statement, because the White Sox were 3 1/2 games behind the first-place Indians in the American League Central. He was explaining why he traded a top starter, Wilson Alvarez, closer Roberto Hernandez and Danny Darwin to the Giants for six prospects whose names meant nothing to Chicago fans.

The so-called white-flag trade infuriated those fans and the players left in the Chicago clubhouse, although in hindsight, Reinsdorf's radical rebuilding move was credited with helping the White Sox win their division three years later.

A month from now, as the trade deadline nears, Giants general manager Brian Sabean could face a decision similar to Reinsdorf's. What if the Giants go on a little run and trim their deficit in the National League West to, say, six games, yet at the same time, the prognosis on Barry Bonds remains nebulous?

Does Sabean deal for the short term to bolster a team that mathematically has a chance to contend? Or does he take a hard look at the 2005 Giants, decide they are dead money and sell off parts that might attract help for 2006 and beyond?

"I certainly wouldn't compare us to '97 as far as the White Sox are concerned. I wasn't inside their organization or inside their heads," Sabean said last week, before the Giants were denuded by Oakland in a three-game series.

"One way or the other, and it could be before the All-Star break, our situation will become further defined. Either we'll make strides and look forward to getting some people back and be in a possible acquisition mode, or if we go in a downward spiral, we're going to have to be prepared to be realistic and turn the page."

As usual, Sabean will wait until the last possible moment to make that determination, but everyone knows the day of decision is close.

"We are looking face to face with the present," manager Felipe Alou said. "Very soon we will be looking back. Most of the season will be over. The clock is ticking and we'll be looking at the winter."

At some point, Alou said, Armando Benitez and Bonds will play again. Then, "we're looking at a pretty good ballclub. Looking at the present, we're a team (14) games under .500, and Barry still has not set a date for his return."

There are differences between the 1997 White Sox and the 2005 Giants, who open a three-game series against the Diamondbacks tonight. The Sox were one game below .500 (52-53) when they made the white-flag trade. The Giants are buried deep below .500 (30-44) and 11 games out of first place, and if that doesn't change by this time next month, the comparison is not valid.

On the other hand, the Giants play in a very weak division with a vulnerable front-runner, as did those White Sox. The San Diego Padres have many key players injured (Adam Eaton, Ramon Hernandez, Phil Nevin), and their closest pursuers, Arizona and Los Angeles, are flawed as well.

Moreover, a team like last year's Astros feeds an anything-can-happen attitude. Houston was 56-60 on Aug. 14, won 36 of its last 46 games, then came within one win of the World Series.

Sabean has to balance those issues against a multitude of flaws the Giants have exposed over their first 74 games. They seem more than a player or two away, even if Bonds suddenly gets healthy and contributes.

Over the years, the Giants have maintained an anti-Reinsdorf stance, striving to reach the postseason if they believe it is reachable under the theory that there, any team can get hot and win it all.

The Giants also need to present a competitive front to sell tickets. Moreover, they have a lot of older players with multiyear contracts who came here to win. What would their clubhouse be like in August and September if Sabean dealt away key components and started thinking about 2006, especially if the Giants won some games and narrowed their deficit?

Ray Durham understands the question. He was one of those left behind in Chicago after the white-flag trade.

"It's a bad feeling when you're that close and management gives up on you, " Durham said. "We were playing good when we made that trade. We were six or seven out and we got it down to three, and there were still two months left in the season. Anything could have happened.

"It brought us closer together because we didn't want management to think that we couldn't do it. We actually had a meeting the next day after those guys left and said let's show these guys we can play. We came up short, but we played as a team and we overcame it. We didn't have the arms that we had, but we wound up playing pretty decent baseball there at the end."

The White Sox finished 80-81, six games behind division-winning Cleveland. They had losing seasons in 1998 and 1999, but two of the pitching prospects they acquired from the Giants, Keith Foulke and Bobby Howry, played big roles for a division-winning 2000 team.

If Sabean becomes a seller, he more likely would try to acquire young players with big-league experience and a high upside, not minor-league maybes like those he has dealt away over the years. He has no desire to turn the 2005 Giants into a proving ground.

"No matter whether you're winning or losing, you've still got to have a presentable product," he said, "so it's not realistic to think you're going to gut the whole thing and have a tryout camp with young players and think that's going to be tolerated."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FOR SALE?

The Chronicle asked a scout for a National League team in contention to rank the five Giants who might be most desirable to other teams for the stretch drive, regardless of their contracts. Here is the scout's list, plus some comments:

1. Jason Schmidt

"I know for sure one team is actively pursuing Schmidt. No doubt he is No. 1."

2. Omar Vizquel

"Vizquel, he came here to win. Now that Barry (Bonds) is out, you're taking a big player out of the equation."

3. Mike Matheny

4. J.T. Snow

5. Ray Durham

"Durham, you could rate him anywhere from one to five because I know clubs have interest in him. I've heard his name a lot. But being that he's had injury problems and declined defensively, he's definitely more attractive to an AL team."

(The scout also mentioned Scott Eyre and Jason Christiansen as possible trade targets.)

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
FOR SALE?

The Chronicle asked a scout for a National League team in contention to rank the five Giants who might be most desirable to other teams for the stretch drive, regardless of their contracts. Here is the scout's list, plus some comments:

1. Jason Schmidt

"I know for sure one team is actively pursuing Schmidt. No doubt he is No. 1."

White Sox pleeeease...

QUOTE(Jabroni @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:09 AM)

Mark Buehrle

Jason Schmidt

Freddy Garcia

Jon Garland

Jose Contreras

Buehrle

Burnett

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:39 AM)
Buehrle

Burnett

Garcia

Garland

Contreras

Agreed.

Burnett>Schmidt.

4 years younger and his arm problems don't scare me like Schmidt's do.

Also I hate the idea of Crede for Alfonso.

It's like we're trading good young talent for 30+year old injured players.

If Burnett is truly on the market, bye-bye BMac, Marte, and whoever else within reason if it's going to bring him in for a few years. I honestly wouldn't mind, because we'd then have 5 quality starters, something few, if any, MLB teams can claim.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
If Burnett is truly on the market, bye-bye BMac, Marte, and whoever else within reason if it's going to bring him in for a few years. I honestly wouldn't mind, because we'd then have 5 quality starters, something few, if any, MLB teams can claim.

The way cotts has come on this year the Sox may very well think marte is expendable.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 04:48 PM)

Hasn't Burnett been pretty injury prone? He's got nasty stuff, but I'm not sure I'd break the bank for the Marlins equivalent of Kerry Wood.

Jason Schmidt Contract:

'05: $8.75 /2 = $4.375

'06: $10.0 option

Edgardo Alfonso:

'05: $6.5 /2 = $3.25

'06: $7.0

Combined:

'05: $15.25 /2 = $7.625

'06: $17.0

Total Salary taking on = $24.625

--------------------------------

Is that really affordable?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jun 28, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Hasn't Burnett been pretty injury prone?  He's got nasty stuff, but I'm not sure I'd break the bank for the Marlins equivalent of Kerry Wood.

Burnett was injured in '03 but had Tommy John's Surgery early in the season. He came back after the All-Star break of '04 and has been pretty healthy since.

The TJ Surgery seems to have strengthened his elbow and his arm problems are all but gone. He's not even close to as injury prone as Wood.