BBTN Harry Reynolds

Texsox

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
The best team in baseball should have a starter and either Burhle or Garland should get the start. It's an exhibition game. I'm not too hung up on who is having a better season, etc. It's an exhibition game, not the actual Cy Young voting, etc. It's an exhibition game. I'd rather see an aging superstar one more time than a maybe here today gone tomorrow guy. But I think it's only an exhibition game.

Wait, is it an exhibition game?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:20 PM)
Wait, is it an exhibition game?

Well, I thought so. Reading the many threads on who is in and out and who is starting and who is not, makes me believe this is way more important. It's all about promoting the game of baseball in the middle of the summer. Almost every team has a boost in attendance after the all-star break. This is all about marketing the stars.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
Well, I thought so. Reading the many threads on who is in and out and who is starting and who is not, makes me believe this is way more important. It's all about promoting the game of baseball in the middle of the summer. Almost every team has a boost in attendance after the all-star break. This is all about marketing the stars.

Well this time it counts.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:32 PM)
Well this time it counts.

I think that should be in green :D How many players are realistically worried about home field advantage and how much of an impact will they have? I just don't see the Royals representitive hustling out that weak ground ball to short, because this time it counts

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:40 PM)
I think that should be in green  :D How many players are realistically worried about home field advantage and how much of an impact will they have? I just don't see the Royals representitive hustling out that weak ground ball to short, because this time it counts

And I don't see the Royals representative sniffing the field. :)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:37 PM)
2005 Statistical Breakdow, Buehrle Vs. Halladay.

Halladay - W:11, L:4, ERA:2.4, CG:5, SHO:2, H:107, BB:16, SO:98, WHIP:0.94, OPSA:.577, BAA:.222, K/BB:5.44, BB/9:1.10, K/9:6.73, H9:7.35

Buehrle - W:10, L:1, ERA:2.42, CG:2, SHO:1, H:110, BB:17, SO:79, WHIP:1.04, OPSA:.594, BAA:.242, K/BB:4.16 BB/9:1.25, K/9: 5.80, H9:8.07

I'm just wondering if anyone can look at these stats and tell me that Buehrle is more deserving than Halladay.

It's ultra close in EVER SINGLE category. So it really is a toss up, however if you really want the more deserving pitcher to start you have to go with Halladay.

Just for the record as a Sox fan I would love to see Buehrle start the AS game but as a Baseball fan I just can't rationalize it.

Normally I would say Halladay should start, but Buehrle is the ACE of the staff with the best team in baseball, so that should count for something..

Kind of brings up an interesting debate if the best team in baseball had no starting players.

Doesn't that like fit EXACTLY into the team first mentality that the Sox have? As individual players, there are no standouts(even though there are), but as a cohesive unit, from 1-25, the team is strong(except for Timo, Vizcaino, and Walker, lol).

I actually think that not having a starter, or even having just 1 or 2 representatives, could actually be viewed as a compliment to the team.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:36 PM)
Kind of brings up an interesting debate if the best team in baseball had no starting players.

Doesn't that like fit EXACTLY into the team first mentality that the Sox have?  As individual players, there are no standouts(even though there are), but as a cohesive unit, from 1-25, the team is strong(except for Timo, Vizcaino, and Walker, lol). 

I actually think that not having a starter, or even having just 1 or 2 representatives, could actually be viewed as a compliment to the team.

Patriots anybody?

As of this moment right now Halladay has a slight advantage but Buehrle does have a start before the selection show, I'm not sure if Halladay does or not but those stats are so close one start either way can flip who should start. I think YAS said it in a different thread that it would be better if Mark doesn't start for the reason that the starter will throw more innings then anyone else and I agree with that completely.

Most of the stats between Halladay and Buehrle are so close they can switch in the course of a single start. By this time next week it's highly possible that Mark will lead in everything. I agree that Mark should/will get the nod because he is on the best team in baseball. He also got screwed out of at least two wins that I can remember when he let up 0 or 1 runs in 8 innings and got a no decision. That's awesome that he only has one loss to this point, and that says something about him as a pitcher this year. Actually after further analysis, he got a ND where it probably shouldn't have been a loss and one or two iffy wins to counteract those two he was robbed of. Guess I'm biased, but who knows, Mark might pass him in some of these areas.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Most of the stats between Halladay and Buehrle are so close they can switch in the course of a single start. By this time next week it's highly possible that Mark will lead in everything. I agree that Mark should/will get the nod because he is on the best team in baseball. He also got screwed out of at least two wins that I can remember when he let up 0 or 1 runs in 8 innings and got a no decision. That's awesome that he only has one loss to this point, and that says something about him as a pitcher this year.

too close? Halladay has 19 K's more so unless Buehrle has a career K game that wont be close especially if Halladay has another start. Also Halladay has 5 complete games compared to Buehrle's 2. Also while their era is close 2.40 to 2.42 Halladay faces the Yankees, Orioles, and Boston offenses compared to Mark facing the Twins, Indians, and Detroit ones which none are as good offensively as the yanks, orioles, or boston.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:37 PM)
too close?  Halladay has 19 K's more so unless Buehrle has a career K game that wont be close especially if Halladay has another start.  Also Halladay has 5 complete games compared to Buehrle's 2.  Also while their era is close 2.40 to 2.42 Halladay faces the Yankees, Orioles, and Boston offenses compared to Mark facing the Twins, Indians, and Detroit ones which none are as good offensively as the yanks, orioles, or boston.

It's unfair to compare the offenses they face and not throw out the fact that Buehrle pitches at the cell.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:37 PM)
too close?  Halladay has 19 K's more so unless Buehrle has a career K game that wont be close especially if Halladay has another start.  Also Halladay has 5 complete games compared to Buehrle's 2.  Also while their era is close 2.40 to 2.42 Halladay faces the Yankees, Orioles, and Boston offenses compared to Mark facing the Twins, Indians, and Detroit ones which none are as good offensively as the yanks, orioles, or boston.

I did say MOST categories, didn't I?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
Most of the stats between Halladay and Buehrle are so close they can switch in the course of a single start. By this time next week it's highly possible that Mark will lead in everything.

That's probably why Soxfan101 brought up the Ks and CGs. Also, Halladay's BAA is .222 while Mark has a BAA of .242.

But what you're saying is that Mark could lead in all of the categories that they're close in, which would leave out the categories where Halladay has the obvious advantage.

I understand and agree with what you're saying, although I could also see why it would get misconstrued. You're an excellent writer though, one of the best here as far as I can tell.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
That's probably why Soxfan101 brought up the Ks and CGs.  Also, Halladay's BAA is .222 while Mark has a BAA of .242.

But what you're saying is that Mark could lead in all of the categories that they're close in, which would leave out the categories where Halladay has the obvious advantage. 

I understand and agree with what you're saying, although I could also see why it would get misconstrued.  You're an excellent writer though, one of the best here as far as I can tell.

Good point, missed that last part. I also threw in the edit, which probably contributed. Thanks for the complement, that's what going to Fenwick does for you. :D

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 07:13 AM)
:notworthy He would be good.

Steve Stone will never have a job on a widely followed show like SC or BBTN. Why? Because he tells it like it is and wont blindly plug the east coast teams or any of the other favored few teams in MLB. It's sad but true.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
Steve Stone will never have a job on a widely followed show like SC or BBTN.  Why?  Because he tells it like it is and wont blindly plug the east coast teams or any of the other favored few teams in MLB.  It's sad but true.

He's still the best color man in the game, IMHO.

God how I wish he could take Tim McCarver's seat in October.