Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
I honestly feel like Ozzie is tired of his s***, too.  When Hawk and DJ start showing signs of not liking a guy, it leads me to believe a lot of people don't like him.

Farmio and Rooney are crawling out of their skins also.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:18 PM)
The Yankees panic the second there is any trouble with any of their players. They never hang on to guys when they're struggling. Plus I wouldn't put to much stock in the personnel decisions of a team that willingly took Esteban Loaiza.

Hey, I'd take the season ELo is having this year over Contreras or El Duque any day.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:18 PM)
I was excited when we released Danny Wright because I'd never have to watch such an annoying pitcher again.  However, Duque and Contreras are doing their best Danny Wright impression far too often now.

Difference - Danny Wright had an ERA above 6. El Duque and Contreras DO NOT.

Tomorrow's game is absolutely critical. Garland against Saarloos is a match-up that we should have the advantage for. Since we always seem to struggle hitting homers when we're in Oakland, Ozzie really has to implement everything possible in order to create offense. No more of this sitting on your ass, waiting for the homer offense.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:13 PM)
Stanton.  That's the guy.

It'd be nice to have an actual LOOGY in our bullpen.  'Cause, while I like Marte and Cotts, they aren't LOOGYs. 

Plus...  come on...  LOOGY.  It's fun to say.

Stanton isn't even a LOOGY, at least IMO. His 3 year splits say he handles right-handed hitters (.231 BAA) better than lefties (.255 BAA).

QUOTE(JohnStamos @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:19 PM)
Hey, I'd take the season ELo is having this year over Contreras or El Duque any day.

He was a joke when we traded him. He's not exactly tearing it up now anyways. Add the fact that he is in the NL and not in the Cell, he'd be doing about the same. Plus he was demanding a ridiculous sum of money considering how little he did in his contract year.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:19 AM)
Difference - Danny Wright had an ERA above 6. El Duque and Contreras DO NOT.

That's what I'm saying. Recently, Contreras's ERA has been well over 6 in the last month or so. It's definitely brought back shades of the Wright era.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)
Stanton isn't even a LOOGY, at least IMO. His 3 year splits say he handles right-handed hitters (.231 BAA) better than lefties (.255 BAA).

This year righties are hitting over 400 against him.

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:21 PM)

This year he's been real good against lefties and horrendous against righties.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:21 PM)
Tomorrow's game is absolutely critical.  Garland against Saarloos is a match-up that we should have the advantage for.  Since we always seem to struggle hitting homers when we're in Oakland, Ozzie really has to implement everything possible in order to create offense.  No more of this sitting on your ass, waiting for the homer offense.

Critical how? We might only be 8 1/2 up in the division? Some of you guys need to relax.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
He was a joke when we traded him. He's not exactly tearing it up now anyways. Add the fact that he is in the NL and not in the Cell, he'd be doing about the same. Plus he was demanding a ridiculous sum of money considering how little he did in his contract year.

I know we are paying 6 mill for Conteras out of the 8. But in hind sight. A few more mill and you have Clement instead of Conteras.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:22 AM)
This year he's been real good against lefties and horrendous against righties.

Stanton isn't great, but he's infinitely better than Kevin Walker. If we have the chance to sign him, we should lock him up. However, we'd have the last chance out of all the AL teams to claim him, so I'm sure a team looking for lefties in the pen will get him first.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:22 PM)
That's what I'm saying.  Recently, Contreras's ERA has been well over 6 in the last month or so.  It's definitely brought back shades of the Wright era.

And in the first 2 months he had an ERA of around 3 IIRC.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)

Regardless, I'd still take his sub-4 era (3.81 as a matter of fact). His splits suggest he pitches significantly better at home, so maybe Washington is just a hitter's friendly park that is the root of his success.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:24 PM)
I know we are paying 6 mill for Conteras out of the 8.  But in hind sight.  A few more mill and you have Clement instead of Conteras.

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20. I remember an awful lot of people saying we shouldn't spend that much money on a guy prone to blowups considering the park we play in. He just had his first major one tonight (8 earned in 5), which bumped his ERA about half a run.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 02:24 PM)
I know we are paying 6 mill for Conteras out of the 8.  But in hind sight.  A few more mill and you have Clement instead of Conteras.

Clement got killed today, and he's got that injury history hanging over him, especially if he throws too many sliders.