Sox @ A's 7/1 Game Thread 9:05CT

Spiff

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:33 AM)
I actually think bullpen is the least of our problems at the moment. We should be looking at another starter and a possible position player.

While we're in the middle of the league in overall offensive categories, we still have the WORST offense in all of baseball against RHP. That's a problem, especially since a majority of pitchers are right-handed.

Yeah, against a tough righty, we really don't have a lot of options from the left side. A big problem against RHP is that Rowand is brutal against them. I definitely don't want him hitting 3rd against RHP.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:34 PM)
I think Buehrle gets less run support and you can't say they don't play hard for Mark.

That's true. But it seems like they don't have much wind in their sails when Contreras pitches. Like in today's game they looked pretty good through the first couple innings, then after a while they just look like they're going through the motions.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 11:38 PM)
That's true.  But it seems like they don't have much wind in their sails when Contreras pitches.  Like in today's game they looked pretty good through the first couple innings, then after a while they just look like they're going through the motions.

I don't think it matters who is pitching when you have an inning like that 5th.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
That's true.  But it seems like they don't have much wind in their sails when Contreras pitches.  Like in today's game they looked pretty good through the first couple innings, then after a while they just look like they're going through the motions.

I wish Herbert would come out of retirement and play some third for us.

QUOTE(black jack @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:40 PM)
Contreras is someone who really needs the All-Star break to get his head straight.

Look at his brief history in the MLB.

The yanks supposedly found a flaw in his delivery. They fixed it for a few starts. The goes back to what he did before.

They once demoted him all the way to class A so they could work on his mechanics.

Even after today, Contreras' ERA is 4.34. To put that in perspective, C.C. Sabathia currently has an ERA of 4.33. Other pitchers of note: Greg Maddux- 4.87, Mark Mulder- 4.55.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 2, 2005 -> 04:43 AM)
Even after today, Contreras' ERA is 4.34. To put that in perspective, C.C. Sabathia currently has an ERA of 4.33.

That's a good point, but my biggest concern is that's about the 10th time I've seen a stat like that in the last 3 weeks for Contreras. People were saying similar stats after the Arizona debacle, as well as his awful Cubs start last week.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 09:43 PM)
Even after today, Contreras' ERA is 4.34. To put that in perspective, C.C. Sabathia currently has an ERA of 4.33.

That's because no matter what you say about Contreras, no matter how much you hate him, he's got WICKED stuff. Awesome stuff.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 10:44 PM)
Let me ask this now. If Jose Contreras had an ERA of 4.34 heading into the all - star break, at the start of the season, would you have taken this?

I am sure that Ozzie and Cooper are looking at Conteras and saying you know what, he is pitching pretty good. He has a good ERA and has been stellar at times this year. I am sure thats exactly what they are saying.