GAME THREAD 7-8-2005 SOX vs A's

Numbers wise, Timo is better then Willie now, which ain't saying much. My thoughts of Willie really went down tonight and yes I know it's one game but the thing is I just don't know where his head was. He was trying to shoot the ball into left field in those situations where he either should have bunted or just yanked something. Saying all that, Willie is still the more valuable player in my opinion because of his ability to pinch run but if Gooch needs a day off it needs to be Pablo hitting in that 2 hole.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Numbers wise, Timo is better then Willie now, which ain't saying much.  My thoughts of Willie really went down tonight and yes I know it's one game but the thing is I just don't know where his head was.  He was trying to shoot the ball into left field in those situations where he either should have bunted or just yanked something.

That was my main beef. In the first AB, he took a high and outside pitch the other way... WHY?

In the second AB, he looked scared to fail again, so he left the bat on his shoulder and watched 3-0 and 3-1 pitches that could have easily be grounded to the right side. He fought off one tough pitch, then took a pitchers pitch looking for the walk again.

It would have been fine with me if he struck out in both at bats swinging too early at change-ups, because then I at least know that he was up there with a plan to hook everything.

As it was, his only plan was "hope to not screw up", and that's a sure fire way to ensure you are going to screw up. It was the same thing with the SBs last season. He just didn't have the confidence to get the job done.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
That was my main beef. In the first AB, he took a high and outside pitch the other way... WHY?

In the second AB, he looked scared to fail again, so he left the bat on his shoulder and watched 3-0 and 3-1 pitches that could have easily be grounded to the right side. He fought off one tough pitch, then took a pitchers pitch looking for the walk again.

It would have been fine with me if he struck out in both at bats swinging too early at change-ups, because then I at least know that he was up there with a plan to hook everything.

As it was, his only plan was "hope to not screw up", and that's a sure fire way to ensure you are going to screw up. It was the same thing with the SBs last season. He just didn't have the confidence to get the job done.

I'm 100 percent with you on this. You know what, you're going to fail at the physical part of the game at times but his head wasn't into the game, I just don't understand what he was thinking up there and that's just inexcusable in my mind.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
LOL this is the funiest. Subtract these 3 guys from the team, replace them with real major leaguers, and we have a few more wins this season. That we're congratulating them on a well played game tells you how bad we were tonight.

Haha what do you want me to say?

Garland was aweome? Konerko, Crede, and Dye raped the ball?

QUOTE(PutItOnTheBoard @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:54 AM)
whats up with the A's havin our number....

We'll get 'em the next two. We've played atleast halfway decent against them at the Cell, we just have 0 chance at Oakland for whatever reason.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 02:55 AM)
We'll get 'em the next two.  We've played atleast halfway decent against them at the Cell, we just have 0 chance at Oakland for whatever reason.

Deleting posts huh? ;)

Willie had two opportunities to move Pods over to third with less than two outs. And on both of those opportunities, he failed and looked bad doing it. In a game that was decided by two runs, performances like that stick out like a sore thumb....