TRADE THREAD III ~July 9 - July 15

Texsox

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:32 AM)
Kenny Rogers is a pretty good option.  Last year he had a great 1st half and than sunk in the 2nd half.  This year he has had an amazing first half.  Thats where the 20 day suspension comes in.  I think It could actually be better because it gives his arm a chance to relax so he wont falter down the stretch.

Also with him being old it wont cost much in terms of prospects.

Have you ever heard the term "Hiding in plain sight."?

I have been trying to point that out to you, he is always good in the first half and sucks in the second half, especially when it matters. You see it yourself, you just dont want to admit it because he is sporting a 2.41 ERA right now.

• Replies 875
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever guys. Keep doubting the team with the best record in baseball. How many of you thought the Cardinals were going to slide last year? I heard a lot of people saying that, and their pitching was weaker than ours (granted their O was awesome, but no one seems to think that matters when the playoffs roll around). I can't believe how some people to react to one series. And I highly doubt we lose 3 of 4 to Cleveland. The game Elarton pitches is a virtual lock for us, and I expect at least a split in the Garcia/Buehrle games. This is the same team that we are 6-3 against. Nothing has really changed except Hafner heating up and Betancourt being suspended.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:44 AM)
Whatever guys. Keep doubting the team with the best record in baseball. How many of you thought the Cardinals were going to slide last year? I heard a lot of people saying that, and their pitching was weaker than ours (granted their O was awesome, but no one seems to think that matters when the playoffs roll around). I can't believe how some people to react to one series. And I highly doubt we lose 3 of 4 to Cleveland. The game Elarton pitches is a virtual lock for us, and I expect at least a split in the Garcia/Buehrle games. This is the same team that we are 6-3 against. Nothing has really changed except Hafner heating up and Betancourt being suspended.

I thought St. Louis was the best team in the NL last year, if not baseball, so I definately didn't think they would slide last year. I also think they are the best team in baseball thi s year.

I love the Sox to death, but I think on paper the Cards and Marlins are both better teams. That said if the Sox met the Marlins in the series, the Sox would win cause they are playing the game right. If it were vs the Cards it would be interesting.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:22 AM)
This is very interesting it appears that many on this board think we can win this thing with the team we have. very interesting, I personally do not think we can. What happens when we lose 3 out of four to the indians, are all the same people going tostart clamoring for a trade? I have seen many Sox teams over decades, outside of 83 and 93 this is the best team I have seen from the sox. As proven in the past, teams like this do not come along very often, to sustain, our luck, our pitching our timely hitting and the mediorcre play of the Twins lately I believe we need to think bigger than the try hard happy go lucky guys we have. Talent will always eventually win over scrappiness. Get better talent, and yes for THIS year visquel would be great, he is proven, batting well, and fielding is equal to Uribe, not to mention he would be a good leader. Furthermore what makes everyone think El Duque is coming back and will not get injured again, or that Crede won't hurt his back, or that injury prone guys like Everett, or dye won't get injured again, or that teams won't figure out iguchi, from all they learned in the first half, or that Thomas won't stub his toe or twist his ankle. We need more. Don't think for a minute Minnesota or the Tribe will stand pat.

I agree. The only thing that will piss me off more than not winning it all is not winning it all while having stood pat.

First I am not reacting to one series. i have been pretty consistant on my feelings about this. Furthermore, the Cardinals were and are still currently a great team. Last years Cardinals were better than this years Whitesox. And we all know they went to the World series. This years Cardinals are better than this years Whitesox as it stands today. The record may not say so, but they are In my opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions and mine is get better players.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
I thought St. Louis was the best team in the NL last year, if not baseball, so I definately didn't think they would slide last year.  I also think they are the best team in baseball thi s year. 

I love the Sox to death, but I think on paper the Cards and Marlins are both better teams.  That said if the Sox met the Marlins in the series, the Sox would win cause they are playing the game right.  If it were vs the Cards it would be interesting.

A lot of people didn't think St. Louis was that good last year. Everyone thought their pitching would be their downfall, and they made it to the series. The Cards and Marlins are another story. I'm not even thinking about them yet, especially since the Marlins might not be in the playoffs. If they end up trading Burnett, they're nowhere near as scary. Even with him, Beckett and Willis aren't exactly dependable starters, and their pen isn't that great. St. Louis could be a problem if Carpenter and Morris keep pitching like this and Mulder pitches like he should. However, that wouldn't happen until the series, which is a long way off.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
First I am not reacting to one series. i have been pretty consistant on my feelings about this. Furthermore, the Cardinals were and are still currently a great team. Last years Cardinals were better than this years Whitesox. And we all know they went to the World series. This years Cardinals are better than this years Whitesox as it stands today. The record may not say so, but they are In my opinion. We are all entitled to our opinions and mine is get better players.

The NL is weak like the Ukraine, and the NL central is one of the weakest divisions in baseball.

Mark Redman: Pirates Could Deal Him

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com

Sunday, July 10, 2005

Update: The Pirates are leaning toward trading Redman by the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline, the Beaver County Times reports.

Recommendation: He could become a nice source for wins should he get traded to a contender. Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston and Texas were among the teams who scouted Redman's last start, and the Chicago White Sox and Florida are thought to have strong interest in trading for him.

Updated on Sunday, Jul 10, 2005 3:37 pm EDT

Redman's stats--> http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6285

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)

That's everyone's argument. "You're just reacting to one game" "You wouldn't be saying that if we didn't lose the series" Guess what? Some of us have been wanting a trade for a long time.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:22 AM)
3.  Aubrey Huff from Tampa Bay for 3-4 prospects, but not Sweeney, Young or BMac.  I'm not sure what would interest them.  Joe Borchard?  Ross Gload?  Vizcaino?  Starting pitchers?  If Huff is going to walk, I can't imagine they can get that much for him. 

Chances of him being dealt this season are probally closer to 0% unless they get a crazy offer they cannot refuse. They honestly have no reason to be moving him now when they can get the same value at the end of the season or early on into next season. No, joe borchard, ross gload, vizcaino, starting pitchers could not even get close to huff. We would be lucky if those guys brought us back jose mesa let alone one of the younger, good hitting lefties ( pretty cheap for the numbers he puts up) in aubrey huff.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
A lot of people didn't think St. Louis was that good last year. Everyone thought their pitching would be their downfall, and they made it to the series. The Cards and Marlins are another story. I'm not even thinking about them yet, especially since the Marlins might not be in the playoffs. If they end up trading Burnett, they're nowhere near as scary. Even with him, Beckett and Willis aren't exactly dependable starters, and their pen isn't that great. St. Louis could be a problem if Carpenter and Morris keep pitching like this and Mulder pitches like he should. However, that wouldn't happen until the series, which is a long way off.

I am not sure i understand your point. You brought up the cardinals, now your not thinking about them? The cardinals had practically an allstar team lineup last year with solid pitching. The Whitesox have nothing near superstars, in there lineup. There are no potential MVP's on the whitesox, the cardinals had two last year and possibly a distant third in Edmonds.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:40 PM)
Have you ever heard the term "Hiding in plain sight."?

I have been trying to point that out to you, he is always good in the first half and sucks in the second half, especially when it matters. You see it yourself, you just dont want to admit it because he is sporting a 2.41 ERA right now.

Its funny how you completely ignore the rest of the post. The reason he is good in the 1st half is because he is fresh. Thats where the 20 day suspension comes in. To keep him fresh for the 2nd half.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:54 AM)
The NL is weak like the Ukraine, and the NL central is one of the weakest divisions in baseball.

i would take the Cardinal team over the Whitesox team right now, including there manager. Talent always beats out scrappiness.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:56 AM)
Chances of him being dealt this season are probally closer to 0% unless they get a crazy offer they cannot refuse. They honestly have no reason to be moving him now when they can get the same value at the end of the season or early on into next season.

Except for the fact that they have no room for him after this season. Is has been widely known that they are going to have to deal him, and midseason is when you can get alot of value, and ALOT of good prospects. They need some pitching prospects, and they could get some great ones.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 08:57 AM)
I am not sure i understand your point. You brought up the cardinals, now your not thinking about them? The cardinals had practically an allstar team lineup last year with solid pitching. The Whitesox have nothing near superstars, in there lineup. There are no potential MVP's on the whitesox, the cardinals had two last year and possibly a distant third in Edmonds.

I'm with you, Cards are the best team in baseball (especially if Mulder pitches like he can). Thats not a knock on the Sox at all, rather a tribute to how good I think the Cards are.

However, the addition of Jason Schmidt and Omar Vizquel or players of that magnitude could definately even up the playing field and put the Sox on par with the Cards (they wouldn't have the offense, but that pitching staff would be very nice).

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:59 AM)
i would take the Cardinal team over the Whitesox team right now, including there manager. Talent always beats out scrappiness.

Tell that to the Marlins, Angels, Diamondbacks etc etc etc

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:00 PM)
Except for the fact that they have no room for him after this season.  Is has been widely known that they are going to have to deal him, and midseason is when you can get alot of value, and ALOT of good prospects.  They need some pitching prospects, and they could get some great ones.

They can get the same package in the off-season as they will now most likely. I don't think he is moved untilt he off-season.

IMO it's just a matter of time before Williams brings in the reinforcements.

He will add to the team, not go hog wild with trades. I get the feeling the fans in Birmingham, Winston-Salem and Kannapolis might not be happy, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:01 AM)
Tell that to the Marlins, Angels, Diamondbacks etc etc etc

I'm assuming your referring to those teams not having as much talent as the Yankees (who are always the most talented team in baseball???).

However the Marlins and Dbacks had stud pitching carry them through and the Dbacks had one of the best duo's in baseball history just own the post-season. Then the Angels were and are a very talented team, especially with the way they play. There pitching staff was putrid but they were able to find a way to get it done.

I think you can always point to reasons why a certain team wins it all. Its quite obvious if the Sox go all the way it will be because of strong pitching, great defense, and timely hitting. You can say that about a whole lot of past champs too.

I just think there are rooms to improve on and when your kicking butt like this and have an opportunity like this you shouldn't shy away from adding more talent to the team, in fact you should do all you can to add that player that can put the club over the top.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
They can get the same package in the off-season as they will now most likely. I don't think he is moved untilt he off-season.

I disagree, I think teams are more desperate in the middle of the season.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:04 AM)
IMO it's just a matter of time before Williams brings in the reinforcements.

He will add to the team, not go hog wild with trades.  I get the feeling the fans in Birmingham, Winston-Salem and Kannapolis might not be happy, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

They should just make the fans in Charlotte even more miserable :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
I'm assuming your referring to those teams not having as much talent as the Yankees (who are always the most talented team in baseball???). 

However the Marlins and Dbacks had stud pitching carry them through and the Dbacks had one of the best duo's in baseball history just own the post-season.  Then the Angels were and are a very talented team, especially with the way they play.  There pitching staff was putrid but they were able to find a way to get it done.

D-backs had a horribly overage lineup, except for the 1-2 punch, but were still very overmatched on paper. The Angels were extremely overmatch, not only in the lineup but in the bullpen, starting rotation. The Marlins were overmatched in every level of the playoffs, but were very together and motivated, which helped them prevail. If you remember correctly, one of the reason that the Yankees starting winning WS titles, was because the team was cohesive and scrappy, it wasnt until after that time period that they started really buying whole teams.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 11:57 AM)

I brought up the Cardinals of last season as an example of a good team with the best record in baseball that a lot of people (virtually anyone I talked to on the subject last year) thought was going to lose early in the playoffs because of their inferior pitching. Their rotation wasn't exactly stellar last year, but it got the job done in the regular season. However, in the playoffs most thought it would be an issue, especially after Carpenter got hurt. Woody Williams, Jason Marquis, Jeff Supan, and a struggling Matt Morris isn't exactly the type of rotation I'd want going into the playoffs. Despite their flaws in that area, they went to the series, and lost to a Red Sox team that was on a roll. I'm not worrying about this year's team just yet because we wouldn't have to face them until the WS, and even then it's possible that they aren't there. Their lineup produces, but looking at the stats Pujols is the only one that stands out as a major hitter. Rolen has been off before and after injuries, and Edmonds and Sanders are doing roughly what Dye is. It is formidable, but I wouldn't call it murderer's row. Their pen is also solid, and thus far Carpenter and Morris have been very good, and Suppan/Marquis/Mulder are doing roughly what their rotation did last year. Are they a good team? Yes. Are they unbeatable? No. My main thing is I'm not going to start panicking over matching up with a team that I might have to face in the WS, especially when it is only the all-star break. My other issue is that outside of Chavez and Vizquel, I don't see us making a significant upgrade, and both of those guys would cost a bunch of money for a lot of years, besides the talent we'd have to give up.